The Race Place

The Black Caps Cant!

Hesi

Well, a match for the ages, never saw that coming, what odds on the big 3 for India scoring 5 runs.

Sweet redemption for Guptill, from the depths of despair yesterday, lambasted on social media, to pure elation 24 hours later, his direct hit from 30m to run Dhoni out by centimetres, got NZ to the final.

What a game!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mardigras said:

Yes. again the wicket clearly helped. Another one very difficult to lift run rate when required. One batter could, even Dhoni couldn't. Went to 6 of the NZ games in the round robin. Sadly missed that as was a cracker. Back in NZ now.

Watching the way the wicket was playing, sounds like I’m talking track bias lol, I kept thinking Dhoni is taking this too casual , he’s going to put a lot of pressure on himself come the finishing overs, sure enough brilliant fielding from Guptill ran him out

Mate you were the one who taught us that value applies to Sport as it does racing, you even said in a previous post that 240 was proving valuable so at the $5-40 NZ were definitely value

Yes we followed your holiday sounds like you had a great time, I was very envious as my 18 year old Daughter was on a 6 week World holiday with her boyfriend at the time ironically she also went to Iceland off all places stayed at the Blue Lagoon, they have signs up around the lagoon saying recommend time in the Lagoon is one hour she thought na we’ve paid $800 a night to be here let’s stay in the Lagoon for 4-5 hours took her 2/3 days to cool down 

No signs of Bjork either

Go the Black Caps

7 hours ago, Hesi said:

Well, a match for the ages, never saw that coming, what odds on the big 3 for India scoring 5 runs.

Sweet redemption for Guptill, from the depths of despair yesterday, lambasted on social media, to pure elation 24 hours later, his direct hit from 30m to run Dhoni out by centimetres, got NZ to the final.

What a game!

and do we get a sentence from you now, Hesi, including the words "I apologise" to the Black Caps and their loyal supporters (including this Mustelid) ..for the many incorrect predictions on this thread about how this game would unfold? Yes, Guptill was 'the man' at the end running out Dhoni, but it was not all about Guptill.

What about Williamson's composed captaincy (and batting the day before)? The patience and concentration required to slowly build partnerships, to understand that this was a tricky wicket to bat on and a modest total could be defended? How important was Taylor's patient innings? Compare them to the impatience of Pandya and Karthik.
What about Neesham's stunning catch? What about Boult and Henry executing the perfect lines/lengths in those conditions, and keeping the pressure on the Indian batsmen, forcing the run rate up from 4.8 to 9?? (and to think the critics wanted Henry out, though Southee might have done just as well!)
What about Santner's brilliant ten over spell? And Ferguson, so cool, fast and accurate, unlucky not to get more wickets, and great even at the 'death' when bowling to one of the best of all time.

We all should know by now that any side can beat any other side on the day in an ODI ...but this was an EPIC, exceptional team display...even the 'failure' deGrandhomme, who had the brains to run up to the stumps for the Dhoni run out ..and GOT OUT OF THE WAY!!

MM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VC! said:

Watching the way the wicket was playing, sounds like I’m talking track bias lol, I kept thinking Dhoni is taking this too casual , he’s going to put a lot of pressure on himself come the finishing overs, sure enough brilliant fielding from Guptill ran him out

Mate you were the one who taught us that value applies to Sport as it does racing, you even said in a previous post that 240 was proving valuable so at the $5-40 NZ were definitely value

Yes we followed your holiday sounds like you had a great time, I was very envious as my 18 year old Daughter was on a 6 week World holiday with her boyfriend at the time ironically she also went to Iceland off all places stayed at the Blue Lagoon, they have signs up around the lagoon saying recommend time in the Lagoon is one hour she thought na we’ve paid $800 a night to be here let’s stay in the Lagoon for 4-5 hours took her 2/3 days to cool down 

No signs of Bjork either

Go the Black Caps

Nice one VC. I actually didn't get to the Blue Lagoon - but I stayed in a place called the Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon which is also reasonably pricey - over by some of the lagoons with icebergs floating around. An expensive country to visit but loved it. Had brilliant weather for Iceland as well when often in summer it will only reach 13 - 14 C. We were getting 16 - 17C and sunny!

Had an amazing time all round. And of the black caps game, at least 4 of the 6 attended we won. And three of the games were quite tense. Was at Lords to see us capitulate. But in that game, the temp was 33-34C - it was very hot so the players would have been feeling it I expect.

Looking forward to seeing the final and hope we can actually put a strong batting performance in. I thought they might either promote Latham (or drop him and bring in Blundell, which I don't think they will do now), and drop Nichols down to 5.

• Like 1

..the big three for India scored 3 runs ...ya cant credit them with the extras!!

1-1-1  the perfect number to call. I think Kohli has been very gracious in defeat, unlike many others who want his head ..just further proof that Williamson is the better leader.

You know how it goes Maxi, as soon as you put your proverbials on the line, you can almost guarantee something like that would happen..

As I said what odds could you have got for India's big 3 getting 3 runs(yes I've dropped out the 2 extras), the NZ TAB would not have an option like that, but somewhere some agency would have(come in Mardi)

So, I'll do it again, and say that was the Black Caps final, and they will come up well short against either England or Aus

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

You know how it goes Maxi, as soon as you put your proverbials on the line, you can almost guarantee something like that would happen..

As I said what odds could you have got for India's big 3 getting 3 runs(yes I've dropped out the 2 extras), the NZ TAB would not have an option like that, but somewhere some agency would have(come in Mardi)

So, I'll do it again, and say that was the Black Caps final, and they will come up well short against either England or Aus

NZ the underdogs with no momentum beat the team with the biggest resource pool (people), most money. most clout. best opener, best no 3,best bowler, best spinners,  best bla bla bla ..so it deserved to be high on the news agenda..i think we will go all the way now...

Always amuses me when Kiwi supporters rubbish Australia and Australians especially when the ANZ and BNZ  are major sponsors of our Netball,Super 18 and Cricket teams.It would appear that although the Kiwis may win,Aussies do to.On top of that an American Multi Nation al company sponsors the All Blacks.

Edited by ngakonui grass

On 7/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, Hesi said:

Hesi, like you I hope you're r-r-rong again  ...the Poms are in the position the Black Caps were in in 2015...whereas we have already gone through the fire of a grand final loss. If Lord's is a belter on Sunday we may have to do something ingenious like playing Ish as well as Santner and dropping Nicholls (?) or deGrandhomme (?). If I were the coach I'd be inclined to keep the same 11 as the semi-final heroes deserve a shot at the gold ...and deGrandhomme can be very destructive in just a few overs. Tempting to open with Santner if there's turn ...remember Bairstow's first-ball duck early in the tournament ??

8 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Hesi, like you I hope you're r-r-rong again  ...the Poms are in the position the Black Caps were in in 2015...whereas we have already gone through the fire of a grand final loss. If Lord's is a belter on Sunday we may have to do something ingenious like playing Ish as well as Santner and dropping Nicholls (?) or deGrandhomme (?). If I were the coach I'd be inclined to keep the same 11 as the semi-final heroes deserve a shot at the gold ...and deGrandhomme can be very destructive in just a few overs. Tempting to open with Santner if there's turn ...remember Bairstow's first-ball duck early in the tournament ??

Sorry  but I think  it is  going  to  be a thumping, they demolished a top team like Aus

The poms have 6 frontline  bowlers, not part timers and 6 in form destructive  batsmen, maybe the most destructive Buttler is down on his game

Compare this with what we have

We would have to have everything  go right to beat them........plus it is at the home of cricket Lords

Went there once and saw Greenidge and Haynes put on a double  century  partnership as though it was grade cricket opposition, but it was England

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Sorry  but I think  it is  going  to  be a thumping, they demolished a top team like Aus

The poms have 6 frontline  bowlers, not part timers and 6 in form destructive  batsmen, maybe the most destructive Buttler is down on his game

Compare this with what we have

We would have to have everything  go right to beat them........plus it is at the home of cricket Lords

Went there once and saw Greenidge and Haynes put on a double  century  partnership as though it was grade cricket opposition, but it was England

But it's just a game on a day. They got beaten easily by Sri Lanka in this tournament. A team NZ beat by 10 wickets. As said before, most of the teams in this comp can beat any of the other teams on a given day.  NZ don't need much to go right. A team that has got to the final with only one decent performance. The first one. Both teams are quite lucky to even make the semis. Finishing 3rd and 4th. They are hardly showing themselves to be unbeatable. Heck, England lost 3 times in the round robin and you've written about them like they are superhuman.

I'm not into stats, but I understand NZ has the best win/loss record of any international side at Lords in ODIs. England are deserved favourites, but when they have started bad, they haven't done well overall this tournament.

• Like 1

I agree and disagree with you Mardi... more than one good performance ...in several games NZ batted poorly but won  -  eg v Bangladesh (Williamson); eg v Windies (bowlers and great fielding defending and  average/poor total). we beat Sri Lanka for the loss of no wickets but Sri Lanka beat the Poms ...so it all gets down to 'on the day' ..can we spot their weaknesses and exploit them (their openers susceptible to spin; their mid-lower order susceptible to Ferguson's pace and variations, and perhaps to Henry/ Boult, esp if there's some cloud/humidity Sunday.)

And we'll have to catch everything that comes our way!!

1 minute ago, Maximus said:

I agree and disagree with you Mardi... more than one good performance ...in several games NZ batted poorly but won  -  eg v Bangladesh (Williamson); eg v Windies (bowlers and great fielding defending and  average/poor total). we beat Sri Lanka for the loss of no wickets but Sri Lanka beat the Poms ...so it all gets down to 'on the day' ..can we spot their weaknesses and exploit them (their openers susceptible to spin; their mid-lower order susceptible to Ferguson's pace and variations, and perhaps to Henry/ Boult, esp if there's some cloud/humidity Sunday.)

my views - Bangladesh - lucky to win, played average with bat and ball. (as an aside, the best game I have attended from an atmosphere perspective. The Bangladeshi's were brilliant supporters and it was an exciting game. 

Windies, 1 foot won NZ the game and got them into the semi. Average play from both sides. 

Then I'll add. South Africa. Average bowling. Poor batting. Williamson was hailed as being magnificent. I thought it was his worst game this tournament. He was doing what MS Dhoni did for India against us. Leaving the rest to do too much. Lucky for him it came off, although to be a little bit fair, it was a tough wicket as many have been.

Even Afghanistan. Average all round performance. 

Then there are the losses. Australia, England and Pakistan. Two thrashings and Pakistan were always cruising. We were very average in that game.

So for me, I haven't seen many good performances with bat or with ball (except SL). I went there supporting them. I already backed them pre tournament at 14s. And I'm happy they are in the final. But they very few decent performances with bat or ball. Against India, they were good with the ball - and still were in danger of losing it.

If they can get to the final with those performances, a good performance will be tough to beat. Most of the teams winning have had a consistency about their top order. We have as well. Consistently getting out. I'm not sure whether it is 3 or 4, but golden ducks - quite a few from our openers.

51 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I agree, we need to take the chances, and consider how best to use our bowlers. Ferguson for me has been the real asset. He has been consistent and consistently good.