The Race Place

An exercise in futlity

Hesi

5 minutes ago, curious said:

Haven't noticed that on the Punting Perspectives Forum .... maybe not on the Comps one either? though I've hardly ever been on there.

It's been excellent thanks to all those that just want to contribute and discuss racing and punting.

The Comps site is exactly the same.  You know PJ(Peter Jenkins) Curious, and his comps are iconic, and always run in the best of good spirit(bourbon maybe) and respect for Peter, and so they should be, considering he puts in about 10 hours a week!!!!! to run them.

Much the same, as the effort all you guys put in on the Punting Perspectives Forum, just the effort alone is to be respected.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Thanks for that input BS

I've been involved a lot with marketing in a former job, handling the product development side of things, but I don't think there was ever a day in 20 years when there was not contact with marketing(and sales) people.

Just diverting, it has always been my assertion, that racing lost its way, because it did not compete(market itself), was not set up to market itself, against all the new forms of wagering and entertainment that came along, but that's another story.

There are other key areas that people would also like to discuss, such as the legislation and wagering, both of which have huge effects on racing.  I would venture to say, in people like Curious and Mardi(both reasonably reasonable people), there are 2 individuals who probably know more about legislation and wagering, than anyone who works at NZTR and NZRB, who would love the opportunity to discuss the various initiatives planned or on the horizon

Marketing of the Industry has always been poor and I think is pretty much par for the course along the lines of so many other Industry functions.

I agree 100% with you that the Industry has never been set up correctly to market itself and my personal belief is because the entire Industry (that includes Greyhounds, Harness etc.) has always operated on a fragmented basis where patch protection and self interest are the over-riding drivers. That analogy is also true for Industry functions like the dates calendar, broadcasting and the overall structure itself.

Because of this marketing has nearly always been kicked back to Individual clubs where 90% have neither the human or cash resources to do any sort of competent job - that facilitates a patch work system with no co-ordinated approach to drive and thrive a $multi million dollar Industry.

I have always been a firm believer that a multi-divisional organisation should run NZ Racing i.e. no separate code bodies and the codes as they exist are business divisions of that organisation. That body should provide the resources to create an Industry wide marketing umbrella that promotes "Racing" and the clubs are left to do what they should do best - put on the show (with some assistance from the mother ship event wise e.g. Xmas At The Races).

Unless you're one of the big four-five thoroughbred clubs, two harness clubs and biggest ghound club(s) you don't have the cash resources or human resource to do both and even the biggest clubs are limited in much of what they can do.

I would suggest the oncourse experience would improve markedly at numerous venues if their "marketing" budget was spent on making sure the on-course experience was tip top because the job of actually creating demand to attend that experience was the role mof a far more competent and well resourced agency.

Thank you!! exactly right, could not have said it better

I have quoted the analogy of Lotto several times, imagine how far they would have got, if every Lotto outlet in NZ did there own marketing, how fragmented and un-cohesive it would be.....just like racing.

But each outlet must pay a marketing % to the Lotteries Commission.  They use that money, and have made some superb ads over the last 20 years, to the extent that Lotto(gambling), is welcomed into the lounge of every NZ'er with a TV at primetime.

Hows that for marketing and brand building, Lotto is not gambling, it is all about the warm fuzzies and life changing potential........brilliant.

While racing still suffers from the negativities associated with gambling and exploitation of animals

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Having had a beer and thought about it, one thing I would say, which is frustrating, is that a nonsense free site, has not caught the imagination of as many as we had thought.  Perhaps people just want to mainly squabble, or are used to these chat sites being the way they are.

I recall once, I think it was Rees who doubted a site could exist without the personal denigration

Yes Hesi I did say that, but only because of my view of humanity. What spews forth from the mouth usually indicates what lies within the heart. And they seem to be in the majority.

But I have stated also that small steps taken will eventually bring forth results on here ,so peoples interest will be piqued as long as the Integrity remains. Those that do join will be of the calibre we need for a robust site.

Patience young man, patience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It’s a bit like social media, we all want as many likes or followers we can get and real purpose is lost. What most of us here want is a forum to express our opinions or our betting perspectives and analysis in a way that is respected and valued. Sometimes that means a smaller forum but over time it will grow. The idea is not to chase likes but put out there something we can share and some can learn from. 

Lost a friend and mentor last year to a freak accident. A world class photographer who encouraged me to continue to do my photography as it was on point with some of the best. He said that it had taken him years to make the breakthrough and he was very good. He just kept putting his work out there and it finally paid off.

Good things take time, great things take longer. Respect is earned. There will always be haters, they hate success and will try to tear it down. 

Hesi and Pete, you started this site with a mission. We thank you for that. Let us keep it moving forward with genuine passion and knowledge, not a gossip style magazine for the deluded and bewildered. 

If I sound positive here, it is because I arrived back in NZ yesterday and am sitting here at my nieces place in TItirangi drinking coffee and ready to visit my Mum who turns 84 today and I am going to surprise her. Haven’t seen her in 4 years. NZ is where my heart is. Despite all that is not so great, it is still the best place in the world to live in my opinion.

Keep the dialogue on here respectful and helpful and it will grow. Over and out from a loyal supporter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Interesting that we are apparently not allowing free speech on here.

Here's some facts.

Since we started I've

Edited one post

Never banned anyone

Never placed anyone on moderation.

This just proves once and for all that if you outline some basic rules about posting the vast majority play nicely and enjoy the interaction.

Using so called 'free speech' to abuse people and harangue them with your wacky theories is just bullshit.

Sorry if any members on here don't like this particular discussion but I'm not going to stand by and let a deranged narcissist tell complete lies about us.

37 minutes ago, LookingForValue said:

It’s a bit like social media, we all want as many likes or followers we can get and real purpose is lost. What most of us here want is a forum to express our opinions or our betting perspectives and analysis in a way that is respected and valued. Sometimes that means a smaller forum but over time it will grow. The idea is not to chase likes but put out there something we can share and some can learn from. 

Lost a friend and mentor last year to a freak accident. A world class photographer who encouraged me to continue to do my photography as it was on point with some of the best. He said that it had taken him years to make the breakthrough and he was very good. He just kept putting his work out there and it finally paid off.

Good things take time, great things take longer. Respect is earned. There will always be haters, they hate success and will try to tear it down. 

Hesi and Pete, you started this site with a mission. We thank you for that. Let us keep it moving forward with genuine passion and knowledge, not a gossip style magazine for the deluded and bewildered. 

If I sound positive here, it is because I arrived back in NZ yesterday and am sitting here at my nieces place in TItirangi drinking coffee and ready to visit my Mum who turns 84 today and I am going to surprise her. Haven’t seen her in 4 years. NZ is where my heart is. Despite all that is not so great, it is still the best place in the world to live in my opinion.

Keep the dialogue on here respectful and helpful and it will grow. Over and out from a loyal supporter. 

Thanks for that Rich, you were pretty much our first member, and gave some good advice and support, which I always appreciated

Good stuff with your Mum

If your photos are that good, then by all means post a few of the better ones.  I've done photography for many years, I know all the basics to do with exposure, shutter speed etc etc, but do not have the artistic bent to be able to take truly great shots.

My son bought a smallish Nikon(at least he got the brand right), that has a 2600mm digital zoom, still retaining the quality(no graininess).  That is how much technology has progressed.  At best, with a 500mm telephoto and a 2X converter, I could do 1000mm with my old Pentax, but it was a mission

38 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I'd expect interest in this site to grow. People can disagree here like they can elsewhere. 

It's the way it's done here that the naysayers can't handle as it doesn't fit their manner.

So you end up with actual conversation/debate as opposed to childish bullshit.

Thanks, and as I have said, it gives chat forums a bad name, which impacts negatively on a site like this

19 minutes ago, pete said:

Interesting that we are apparently not allowing free speech on here.

Here's some facts.

Since we started I've

Edited one post

Never banned anyone

Never placed anyone on moderation.

This just proves once and for all that if you outline some basic rules about posting the vast majority play nicely and enjoy the interaction.

Using so called 'free speech' to abuse people and harangue them with your wacky theories is just bullshit.

Sorry if any members on here don't like this particular discussion but I'm not going to stand by and let a deranged narcissist tell complete lies about us.

You can add into that, that we are both moderated on BOAY, so much for that part of the free speech thing

Many threads have been locked or moved(hidden) to The Vent

A post recently criticising the tech probs and ads was deleted

The much vaunted privacy is hallowed, has been breached a number of times......by the site owner

Free speech..... yeah right