The Race Place

Punting a quarter mill at a NZ meeting

Sandpiper

17 minutes ago, mardigras said:

And that has the follow on issue of the churn from then on from those other punters being less (as they have less money), and the issue that there isn't an endless supply of funds from those other punters. (Punters won't just keep losing more and more in general). This is the very concept that NZRB and NZTR cannot comprehend. They think, more money from one punter into the tote. More revenue. So attracting big punters to bet on tote pools and give them rebates etc, is a winner. When the whole idea is ill thought out.

I don't think it's possible to get them to comprehend this. The RITA chair and CEO seems to now be suggesting that those of us who think so are misinformed. If you look at the spiel and actions on current revenue strategies they clearly still don't get it. Certainly, they have $14m a year coming on line from the duty rebate. But that is a pittance alongside the current overspending on distributions and a new government could decide to wipe that taxpayer donation with the stroke of a pen.

The 3 other main strategies, Racefields, PoC tax and additional events and betting products are all reliant on the same fallacy when they are simply different ways of collecting the same pool of money from the same group of punters. Albeit in increasingly complex and more expensive ways and with the probable effects that you suggest. I.e., reduction of churn and higher loss rates leading to some walking away to other betting activities, unaffected providers or other non- betting entertainment altogether.

I had thought about attending a RITA roadshow event next week and having one more crack at trying to get this across but I've decided it would be a waste of time. They won't get it till they see the results sadly. And asking for detail of their supporting analysis for examination will likely again be fobbed off with the 'commercially sensitive' line which I take to mean that they don't actually have any robust and reliable analysis. How could they?

• Like 4

I thought you had it pretty much right Mardi, 1/5 of the pool on a $1.95 shot, which is now down to 1.85.

Harlech is a class act, so maybe he will upset the party for the ruling glitterati

Have they plonked some on Only In Jakarta also, down to $1.90

• Like 1

I don't want to be rude, BUT, they've now put $28k on Taroni to place - but multied it up with Catalyst winning. Nuts.

And they've taken odds of $1.10 in that bet on Catalyst.

Adding the Catalyst option is insanity at its finest. Clearly the people doing the selecting just like putting bets on short priced runners.

Putting effectively $90k on him winning at $1.10 in order for the bet to be successful, is crazy stuff imo, whether the horse wins or not.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

As a suggestion, why don't  you guys and anyone else in fact, make out you are the selector for the BGP Punters Club and put up your 240 K worth of selections

The problem for me would be getting $100k+ on a horse paying $15 - $20.

The other problem for me is I'm away until February and no info and not punting.

• Like 1

Just now, barryb said:

No for 2 reasons.

1) its similar to paper trading, unless you actually put the bet down its counts for F all and is just a theory.

2) I structure everything I do for the long term outcome, my style of punting is NOT suited to short term 1 day few bet hits like this.

That's the issue. If I did this, I wouldn't change the approach. So in a punters club, they could lose the lot being one day, or possibly win a lot.

36 minutes ago, Hesi said:

As a suggestion, why don't  you guys and anyone else in fact, make out you are the selector for the BGP Punters Club and put up your 240 K worth of selections

Why don’t you have a crack Hesi

The BGP goat, Ted and Luke are the three sorting out BGP,s bets

Spend 35k per race with three 10k multis thrown in 

One rule no exotics as you will lose on the race with such volume 

6 hours ago, Hesi said:

Just a thought fellas

Might have a go

Anyone else welcome though

R2 Madam Hass 40K place @2.80

R3 Vigor Winner 40K win @ 12.00

R4 Not An Option/Play That Song 40K quinella

R5 Princess Kereru 40K win @ 8.50

R6 Harlech 80K place

Have a go anyone for a bit of fun

6 hours ago, pete said:

Here's their bets so far

Screenshot_20200123-133819_BGP.jpg

I've just done those races. Have Catalyst on top at 4.50. The worst value of any bet on the day at the moment. In fact anything else in that race is good to excellent value for me. No value for me in Taroni either. Have it at $18. And Probabeel at $6

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Hesi said:

R6 Harlech 80K place

,Will be having a go at Trident in R4 Hesi. Andy has big wraps on this horse. 16,s and 5,s FF. 

Of his other two Pimlico will likely get up near the lead ,so definitely a runners chance as a pacemaker, at 13,s FF. 

He had an unlucky 5th with Longchamp a few years ago so who knows. 

I heard on the news that there are 1000 in the BGP betting syndicate.?. Frankly I cant see the point of it, and the negative side of Johns argument is that it can just as easily turn people off racing as the natural inclination is ,"oh betting syndicate, great, winning money all the time". Delusional.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, Hesi said:

R6 Harlech 80K place

$112,000 in the kitty

Yep, well done to them. And good for generating interest as well.

Difficult to run a club with those funds in NZ - and the mo is always pretty much focused on short priced runners.

Which means it may go OK if favs like that do the job. And poor otherwise. Not for me, but good on them.