The Race Place

Nashing his teeth ...

Maximus

1 minute ago, barryb said:

As long as they are not impinging on the rights and safety of others, or influencing children under 16. 

Like a lot of small (very small) pockets with in society, they gain far too much attention above what the % they represent.

They should be ignored as not worth worrying about. Their rights are no greater than anyone else's.

Issues around young persons, that is the same kind of issues they face from many varied elements of society. The uprising is being given too much air time and consideration for what is in my view something the rest of society need worry very little about. 

Create gender neutral environments in schools/early education centres and define policies for dealing with acceptable rights for sporting issues relating to gender. And then they are just another person, free to do what they need without each impacting others.

Things such as gender neutral bathrooms/changing rooms may be something that impinges on what we have experienced in society previously, but it is a small price to pay to remove the bullshit element around this whole scenario - they are still just a person.

This is not a post saying anything negative about anyone choosing to identify as whatever they feel. It is about giving them that right but ensuring that the giving of that right doesn't impact the rights of all other members of society.

8 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Come on Mardi, you must realise this is just the thin edge of a wedge. Barry is right in saying they gain far to much attention above the % they represent.

It wont stop. 

They do gain too much attention. That is because others are giving them that attention. I don't - and they are yet to have a single impact on my life and anything I do. 

Why bother worrying about something that has very little impact on life. Are you concerned about someone identifying themselves as whatever they like - if so, how does it affect you? How will it affect you?

8 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Come on Mardi, you must realise this is just the thin edge of a wedge. Barry is right in saying they gain far to much attention above the % they represent.

It wont stop. 

Are you suggesting people shouldn't have that right? It's such a trivial issue imo.

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

Are you suggesting people shouldn't have that right? It's such a trivial issue imo.

No not at all, Im happy for them to have a voice as it should be in an egalitarian society. How that voice is presented is where the problem starts, and how much lobbying is pushing a minority view, to the detriment of society as a whole.  It might not impact you personally but the gender  debate is tearing apart families' , confusing our young, and creating division generally. As Bob Dylan sang,  "you have to serve somebody ". 

5 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

No not at all, Im happy for them to have a voice as it should be in an egalitarian society. How that voice is presented is where the problem starts, and how much lobbying is pushing a minority view, to the detriment of society as a whole.  It might not impact you personally but the gender  debate is tearing apart families' , confusing our young, and creating division generally. As Bob Dylan sang,  "you have to serve somebody ". 

I can simply swap 'gender debate' for 'differing views on religion' and end up with the same thing.

It might not impact you personally but the differing views on religion is tearing apart families' , confusing our young, and creating division generally. 

The big difference is that the differing views on religion has caused massive wars across the globe for centuries. I don't expect that will happen with the gender debate.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

I can simply swap 'gender debate' for 'differing views on religion' and end up with the same thing.

One can swap it for many differing opinions on many subjects.  I won't debate things of a spiritual nature on here. But I do find your view as somewhat myopic, whereas if it "doesn't affect me then go ahead ". at your peril I might add. You may think differently of course. But then history will be the final decider.

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

One can swap it for many differing opinions on many subjects.  I won't debate things of a spiritual nature on here. But I do find your view as somewhat myopic, whereas if it "doesn't affect me then go ahead ". at your peril I might add. You may think differently of course. But then history will be the final decider.

It doesn't impact me - doesn't mean my view is based solely on that. My view is that it is trivial in the level of impact it will have on society. Topics like this tend to have impact when there are many people that view the option itself as being somewhat 'invalid'. If everyone said the ability of a person to choose their gender identity is an absolutely fine thing for them to do, there would be very little impact outside of ensuring things we take for granted with two genders, are extended to cater for more.

The impact imo will be along the lines of what is already present around gender related and sexuality related discrimination.

Much like those that disagree with the views of religious groups - the impact is generally caused by their disagreement that the option itself has validity. 

• Like 1