The Race Place

The Race, Barrier Draw

Rusty

12 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Yes betting in the background. Maybe the club didn't want people betting, instead wanted them to stand in line for most of the nite to get a drink. Iv had it clarified to me, it was just general admin that had solely just 1 line to get a drink. So say guessing general admin numbers were approx 3000 people & 1 line. Its hard to believe & seems incomprehensible. But Iv been assured this was 100% the case. And apparently all drinks were served in cans & wine wasn't served, so not to be glass on the track for the after party. Which was held on the track. So that bit makes sense & reason.

Wonder what the turnover was? 

Well put- given all the other leisure options available these days if you don't get top service people don't come back.

• Like 1

Just go on the Vic Racing Club or NSW  Randwick websites and see the half dozen or so dining options available each race day. Their offers reflect what people want in 2023. Have dined at both venues, sure not cheap but just classy and creates a very memorable day.

Really is no brainer stuff .... sorry but we really have no idea here

Edited by Turny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yip & the only other thing I heard was that people in the 1 line were trying to call people they knew in the hospo areas to get them a drink from in there & bring it out to them. But the people in hospo area when they tried that, were told, no drinks outside (no drinks allowed to leave hospo area).

Re cans only I'm meaning general area. As I'm not sure yet about hospo areas how they were but will try find out.

My experience I went to Cambridge only 1 time in past 6 months & there was a sign up that said 1 hour wait for food in Club House Bar, the group I was with decided not to wait & decided to get snack food from this caravan like food truck behind grandstand, near parade ring as we were all hungry. Everyone else was ok with their food chips whatever. I got a hot dog, had 2 bites, then on 3rd bite it was dead cold. Threw it away. The group decided as a whole, general rule not to eat there if ever went back. Best to eat prior or after.

Agree Turny, no clue & Addy correct people wont go back. Or maybe they might just pre-load (drink at home prior) next time, & like our group decide not to eat there. So there goes club sales on food & drink.

Edited by karrotsishere

Thought Nicolas Cage ran a good race. And could of potentially got 3rd or 4th if driver had of stayed on rail. Not sure why he elected to pull off. Ended up covering extra ground & not getting a run. Hard held to the line behind Self Assured. Had he followed No Matter What (also nice run - until she broke - Happy on the money there), Nicolas Cage would of been behind her then an opening. Best route would of been take the short route home.

16 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Wonder what the turnover was? 

I'm meaning on-course turnover. Cant imagine it would be high or as high as what it could of been or should be. Read on Harness Link there was a total of 4500k people attended. Only 8 races so have to bear that in mind. But did have the big $1 million race.

My guess is with the drink stuff up. People in 1 line for ages. Many wont have been betting. Cant see based off that how on-course would be high. Yes higher than a normal meeting, but for a crowd of 4500k with a $1 million race, what it should be with that sort of attendance & race & perhaps what it is.

Lets see. I maybe wrong but Id be surprised.

Edited by karrotsishere

On 4/15/2023 at 11:18 AM, Globederby19 said:

Well that's why complainers shouldn't go to a Harness meet of that ilk. One goes to enjoy Group racing, not do a thesis on poor hospitality. (tongue in cheek Karrots)

Good, maybe they enjoyed the racing a little better. One goes to a Harness track to enjoy the racing ,not as a piss fest, and lose consciousness . Why does the public  have to get pissed to enjoy anything?, because they in reality have little interest in what's going on apart from the alcohol ?. Probably. 

Hi Rees.

We are both racing enthusiasts, and things change with people now wanting a more social side of an event than in the old days. I went to the Karaka Million meeting at Pukekohe in January, and was sitting in an outside grandstand area, and couldn't hear the commentary on the first race, because there was so much chatter. No one even knew, or were interested that the race was on.

How about this idea then, that was used successfully 28 years when Super Rugby started in Dunedin. Instead of having the entertainment after the game, they had it before it started at 7.35pm. 6pm, on comes Boney M, Jimmy Barnes, Marsha Hinds, just to name a few of the artists that performed. It gets the people in early, and pay their entrance fee, and many times when I would be arriving at the game at 7.30pm, half the crowd were leaving, and going to their usual haunts for their drinks, and the corporates could then continue on with their hospitality, and a good game of Rugby.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Thanks 1

Yes agree DR.

Actually must give credit where credit is due & give it to ATC re hospo. When I went once last year. Meals food options was excellent & so was drink service.

Hate being negative towards Cambridge as have mostly been super positive about them & want them to do well, but come on. They need to upt their game re hospo & they seem so intent on keeping the big crowd from getting drinks help forbid getting drunk, yet perhaps they need to be looking under their own noses.

Know for a FACT. Not going to say exactly who I speak of or which part is from as don’t want them getting fired hence have never said anything before, (they prob should of got a warning, but I suspect the club didn’t/doesn't know), but 1 employee or contractor turned up pissed to work on a race day there. Not trainer or driver or anyone to do with the product horses.

So I'm meaning either bar staff or food staff or security staff. Someone from 1 of these groups.

Edited by karrotsishere

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Rees.

We are both racing enthusiasts, and things change with people now wanting a more social side of an event than in the old days. I went to the Karaka Million meeting at Pukekohe in January, and was sitting in an outside grandstand area, and couldn't hear the commentary on the first race, because there was so much chatter. No one even knew, or were interested that the race was on.

How about this idea then, that was used successfully 28 years when Super Rugby started in Dunedin. Instead of having the entertainment after the game, they had it before it started at 7.35pm. 6pm, on comes Boney M, Jimmy Barnes, Marsha Hinds, just to name a few of the artists that performed. It gets the people in early, and pay their entrance fee, and many times when I would be arriving at the game at 7.30pm, half the crowd were leaving, and going to their usual haunts for their drinks, and the corporates could then continue on with their hospitality, and a good game of Rugby.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.

Robert.

Yep, good idea Robert. Maybe put that in writing to the Clubs .  I remember the Jewels at Cambridge, and there were lots of hospitality tents , and also plenty of places for owners to enjoy racing and hospitality together. Not sure where they went wrong this time. 

22 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Yes agree DR.

Actually must give credit where credit is due & give it to ATC re hospo. When I went once last year. Meals food options was excellent & so was drink service.

Hate being negative towards Cambridge as have mostly been super positive about them & want them to do well, but come on. They need to upt their game re hospo & they seem so intent on keeping the big crowd from getting drinks help forbid getting drunk, yet perhaps they need to be looking under their own noses.

Know for a FACT. Not going to say exactly who I speak of or which part is from as don’t want them getting fired hence have never said anything before, (they prob should of got a warning, but I suspect the club didn’t/doesn't know), but 1 employee or contractor turned up pissed to work on a race day there. Not trainer or driver or anyone to do with the product horses.

So I'm meaning either bar staff or food staff or security staff. Someone from 1 of these groups.

Hi Karrots.

People turning up for work in an unsober condition is not new, and I am talking 50 or more years ago, with an example, a driver turning up to drive a truck in an intoxicated condition, and was sent home. It would be the same scenario if the person had an accident on the way to work. As a boss, you just needed to adjust, and deal with the situation that has arisen, with one person down, even if you have to go and do it yourself. Customers don't want to know that you have a problem, they just want the job, and task done. I have never judged, as most of the time we don't know what is going on in other people's lives, and we don't need to know.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Globederby19 said:

Yep, good idea Robert. Maybe put that in writing to the Clubs .  I remember the Jewels at Cambridge, and there were lots of hospitality tents , and also plenty of places for owners to enjoy racing and hospitality together. Not sure where they went wrong this time. 

Hi Rees.

Yep, I remember meeting you there at the Jewels, and it was in the day time.

I have shared this with many people, after having had horses in big, and not so big races around the world. Each race is generally just the same, but some have a bigger stake. Regardless, as an owner, vocal support is just the same whether it is small race, or a big race. The most important thing for most of us owners is, that horse comes back uninjured.

Cheers.

Robert.

46 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi Karrots.

People turning up for work in an unsober condition is not new, and I am talking 50 or more years ago, with an example, a driver turning up to drive a truck in an intoxicated condition, and was sent home. It would be the same scenario if the person had an accident on the way to work. As a boss, you just needed to adjust, and deal with the situation that has arisen, with one person down, even if you have to go and do it yourself. Customers don't want to know that you have a problem, they just want the job, and task done. I have never judged, as most of the time we don't know what is going on in other people's lives, and we don't need to know.

Cheers.

Robert.

Yes DR love it & the words of wisdom. 

Gawd no. No chance of me or any of my group saying to Club. We thought it was amusing at the time. In hindsight probably not. But I just thought & think, the person would have a family to support. Not our place or business to tell club. Didn't effect us. Nor did we care really.

Guess I'm just disappointed in the club after being woken up to whatapp message saying they couldn't get a drink etc. IMO its not ok to charge NZD50 & have people get dressed up, travel, go & be excited, organize themselves & their families & they cant get a drink without waiting in solely 1 available line for up to 1 hour, like a herd of sheep. Plus not have been told prior that there would only be 2 drink options available, so no wine. That is NOT OK.

You would think that people would of once got to front of line, would of brought as many drinks as poss, so not to have to wait in the 1 line again.

Anyway be interested to see on-course turnover.

PS agree with Globe, really like your idea. To perhaps put to club re entertainment prior. Perhaps get the club to do a survey, an annoymous survey & ask people who attended general admin & ask them to rate the on-course drink availability & on-course drink service. To be honest about their real thoughts.

Edited by karrotsishere

Max was at Flemington for Cup Week last November. Shockingly cold weather. But the younger members of the many thousands braving the elements could go to the full-blown 'live' concert / gig / DJs whatever within the course grounds (on the railway side, that's Western side, from memory!). They were havin' a blast. But far enough away that the horses wouldn't be spooked by the noise.

MM

Interesting debate all round.

NZ Racing will never change as they have isolated their customers and wouldnt have one ioata of clue as to what their customers want. Really is that simple.

No change any time soon on any front, just slides into the sunset as most of us anticipate

• Like 3

Actually DR, be awesome if you could write a formal email into Cambridge as you are excellent with making direct contact with clubs etc. And say you have had some feedback, that people were disappointed there was such a long line, long wait 30 mins up to 1 hour, & only 1 line to get alchol for general admin serving 3000 ish & the only 2 options (no wine etc) should perhaps have been communicated to people prior, so they knew what to expect. My friends have no reason to make it up, plus they sent me via whats app a video of this 1 long line etc.

See what Cambridge come back & say. See if they acknowledge this was a problem. And next year will make amends to it.

Better sleep now. Nite nite.

Edited by karrotsishere

13 hours ago, Turny said:

Just go on the Vic Racing Club or NSW  Randwick websites and see the half dozen or so dining options available each race day. Their offers reflect what people want in 2023. Have dined at both venues, sure not cheap but just classy and creates a very memorable day.

Really is no brainer stuff .... sorry but we really have no idea here

Sounds great Turny.

I don't think we have the population, and economic climate at the moment, for many people to be splashing out on flash nights out. We are having schools supplying breakfasts, and lunches for children to ensure they are not hungry. It is the reality of life these days.

18 minutes ago, Double R said:

We are having schools supplying breakfasts,

Correct Robert . I do breakfast club for Masterton Intermediate twice a week , and have up to 45-50 kids each day. Not all hungry of course but it gives them a safe place to talk and stay away from bully's while supervised. 

Economy of scale in regards to entertainment and agree with you about the current economic climate. 

My wife and I were in Postie Plus on Sunday swapping an article of clothing. The girl (who we know) after being asked about her pay rates on Sunday said it was just a flat rate ,same as the week. My granddaughter in Sunbury , Melbourne who works at a small sports club, gets 70 bucks an hour on a Sunday. Is it any wonder the young leave our shores. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

Actually DR, be awesome if you could write a formal email into Cambridge as you are excellent with making direct contact with clubs etc. And say you have had some feedback, that people were disappointed there was such a long line, long wait 30 mins up to 1 hour, & only 1 line to get alchol for general admin serving 3000 ish & the only 2 options (no wine etc) should perhaps have been communicated to people prior, so they knew what to expect. My friends have no reason to make it up, plus they sent me via whats app a video of this 1 long line etc.

See what Cambridge come back & say. See if they acknowledge this was a problem. And next year will make amends to it.

Better sleep now. Nite nite.

I wont write to the club, as I wasn't there personally, but totally believe the feedback that has been expressed on here.

A thought I had in relation to my suggestion of the pre race meeting entertainment, and people watching that, and leaving, how about the reverse then? If the entertainment is after the race meeting, how about having food and drinks elsewhere, and coming to race course when the races are finished? I am picking after the races are over, probably a third of the people will go home, leaving more room for the party goers to stretch out. Of course, there is still a need to up number of serving outlets, and renew the interest in the event, and perhaps encourage some who have been disappointed last week.

13 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Correct Robert . I do breakfast club for Masterton Intermediate twice a week , and have up to 45-50 kids each day. Not all hungry of course but it gives them a safe place to talk and stay away from bully's while supervised. 

Economy of scale in regards to entertainment and agree with you about the current economic climate. 

My wife and I were in Postie Plus on Sunday swapping an article of clothing. The girl (who we know) after being asked about her pay rates on Sunday said it was just a flat rate ,same as the week. My granddaughter in Sunbury , Melbourne who works at a small sports club, gets 70 bucks an hour on a Sunday. Is it any wonder the young leave our shores. 

I am so thankful that the savings that I was encouraged to start at primary school, and beyond, has given me, in the latter part of my life, the opportunity, which I sometimes feel uneasy about, to enjoy little treats, and pleasures, that I have in my time remaining, how ever long that maybe.

Edited by Double R
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Turny said:

DR celebrate what you have done over a working life, I certainly am and am enjoying spending every $, I worked and saved over 45 years to do so

Too true Turny, as many of our friends and acquaintances made over the years, who did the same as us, are not around today to enjoy it. As I said, in my earlier post, I am thankful.

• Like 2

All good DR re not to write in as wasn't there. Same for me. Last time I mention it, but had grabbed some evidence, well kind of. If you take a look at pic you can see 2 gals walking holding 4 cans each in their hands. 1 has orange cans & the other has white/green cans its more clear on the actual video than this screen shot. Guess the cans must of been opened the way they are holding them, as cant see why normally ladies would walk around with 8 drinks like that. (They must not of wanted to go back wait in the 1 line). - Notice no-one else in the pic has a drink.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 8.58.11 AM.png

Edited by karrotsishere

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

On second thoughts, dont send pics Karrots. 🤣:classic_wink:

Haha yea Im really a 90 year old she-him. Tricked you all. Latest update. Word is that people in Club House Hospo area had a good time.

Good news is word is Camb plan to send out a survey this week to all who attended. So everyone will get a chance to have their say & Camb will take in all feedback & make any needed changes next year. This includes those in General Admin area (who are majority of attendees). This is what Iv always liked about Camb Club. Willing to listen to the people. Very happy to hear this news.

Anyway thats me over & out on this subject.

PS Globe was meant to say, was a tad disappointed with drive on Majestic Man. Felt it was tough on him. Didn’t like watching him have to cover all that extra ground on race replay. Poor boy. In my mind was saying please go back to rear. Never mind.

• Thanks 1

I can recall reading some research done about 10-15 years ago by NZTR, about what the public thought about racing.

I wish I could find it again, but the results were abysmal.  Lots of suspicion that racing was a closed shop, and if you were betting, you were disadvantaged if you were not associated with the industry.  Very much an insider trading sceanrio.

The only positive to come from the research, was that a day at the races rated highly, or in the case of harness, a night.

I just wonder how many clubs have done any research to find out what the public want, where they are going wrong, instead trying to second guess things.

Unheard of in business to embark on a plan, without finding out what your customer wants