The Race Place

The Race, Barrier Draw

Rusty

5 hours ago, karrotsishere said:

PS Globe was meant to say, was a tad disappointed with drive on Majestic Man.

Yes he got caught out a bit, but in the horses defense he had not got a lot of work into him so Phil knew it was going to be a tough ask from that draw. On the bright side he has come through well and Phil is happy with the coveted ace draw, and how he worked today. Should be thereabouts, and would be disappointed not to see him in the top three, although not winning as Muscle seems to have a mortgage on things at the moment. 

45 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Unheard of in business to embark on a plan, without finding out what your customer wants

I find that the remarkable thing in this age is that we now have to provide all sorts of entertainment for customers ,just to get to come along to a day or night at the races. Racetracks were once just for that, racing, and the courses once were packed with people enjoying the RACING. Racing seems to be a sideline to the main act on course these days. We are not big enough to cater for both, and it looks as though the demise of racing will continue, until the discretionary dollar disappears altogether. 

I would love to go to a NZ Cup meeting and be the only patron on site. Brilliant, no queues , unlimited betting opportunity's,no pissed dorks getting in your face, full uninterrupted view of the track  . Might happen as long as I live long enough. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

I find that the remarkable thing in this age is that we now have to provide all sorts of entertainment for customers ,just to get to come along to a day or night at the races. Racetracks were once just for that, racing, and the courses once were packed with people enjoying the RACING. Racing seems to be a sideline to the main act on course these days. We are not big enough to cater for both, and it looks as though the demise of racing will continue, until the discretionary dollar disappears altogether. 

I would love to go to a NZ Cup meeting and be the only patron on site. Brilliant, no queues , unlimited betting opportunity's,no pissed dorks getting in your face, full uninterrupted view of the track  . Might happen as long as I live long enough. 

It is losing the focus of why racing exists.  You can build things around it, but the racing needs to be the focus.

Out of interest, how is harness faring in Aus, we know thoroughbred is thriving

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It is losing the focus of why racing exists.  You can build things around it, but the racing needs to be the focus.

Out of interest, how is harness faring in Aus, we know thoroughbred is thriving

Going quite well Hesi. We're not losing the tracks (and therefore horse numbers that nz endures) and each area in each state has Very Regular race programs so that trainers can race the horses for their owners Every week to earn a buck and pay their way. (A horse had it's 500th race stat in Brisbane last week lol)

We also had a Million dollar race last Friday even,  and a $1,500,000 is scheduled later this year , also a million dollar Interdominion in Brisbane at end of year. Plenty of horses raced by Bloodstock Agents now like they do with gallopers , so a few of the top horses going around have a few owners these days. (Spirit of St Louis for example , (who picked up $175,000 for 2nd last Friday) so that is going to Only make those large group of owners go even harder at it , to get another good one like him.

All's well and going gangbusters !!!💰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Totally agree Rees.

The main purpose of a racecourse is to hold race meetings. Yes, I know corporate functions etc., are the norm these days, but there are at other events as well, like the Rugby, and Rugby League, where the focus remains on the main event. Those two sports have ongoing action in segments of 40 or 45 minutes at a time, so people are entertained for those periods, whereas racing has a race, half an hour or so break, and then the next one, and so on.  I am used to this format, having been brought with that, and would be happy to see a race, go down to the parade ring, then to the birdcage top see the jockeys board their horses, and watch their preliminaries, and then the race itself.

It is a different world today, and accepting change is hard for some people, but it just the fact, society has changed, for the good, and not so good, and that is the path that all of us have to negotiate in our own individual way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Totally agree Rees.

The main purpose of a racecourse is to hold race meetings. Yes, I know corporate functions etc., are the norm these days, but there are at other events as well, like the Rugby, and Rugby League, where the focus remains on the main event. Those two sports have ongoing action in segments of 40 or 45 minutes at a time, so people are entertained for those periods, whereas racing has a race, half an hour or so break, and then the next one, and so on.  I am used to this format, having been brought with that, and would be happy to see a race, go down to the parade ring, then to the birdcage top see the jockeys board their horses, and watch their preliminaries, and then the race itself.

It is a different world today, and accepting change is hard for some people, but it just the fact, society has changed, for the good, and not so good, and that is the path that all of us have to negotiate in our own individual way.

It didn't just happen Robert, it was allowed to happen, through incompetence and parochialism by very average administrators at the club and national level.  It hasn't happened in Aus, and NZ'ers at the end of the day are not that different to Aussies

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hesi said:

It didn't just happen Robert, it was allowed to happen, through incompetence and parochialism by very average administrators at the club and national level.  It hasn't happened in Aus, and NZ'ers at the end of the day are not that different to Aussies

Something that the "Powers of B' either haven't cottoned too, or have put in the too hard basket, is they need us as Punters, and owners, but we actually don't need them, as we can use our discretionary dollar on other things.

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

It hasn't happened in Aus,

And probably won't. Having spent plenty of time in Aussie , it is a fascinating place in regard to their tracks in some far flung areas, but they still manage to run race meetings and attract punters. It is still in some instances and areas the only entertainment to enjoy apart from the local pub, and that comes down to Australia's uniqueness in its sheer size and parochialism in those regional areas. I have been to Wagga Wagga ,Junee,  Mount Gambier , Taree,(not there now)  etc and it never ceases to amaze me the strength of the local harness industry in those areas.

And Aussie trainers have to travel a lot of miles at times to do the circuit in their area. Just an observation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DR is right. Think of Lakers games, Breakers etc. They all have entertainment. The last Breakers game I went to a couple years ago, they had cheerleaders, this game of shoot the hoop win money from a far range, also your on candid camera kiss, hug whatever, Japanese bongo performers, this big dancing bird & so on.

Super bowl has a major 1/2 time show. Celebrities perform. Advertisers pay BIG money to get an ad on 1/2 time show.

Edited by karrotsishere

Total turnover 1.2 million NZD. No word yet with on-course turnover. Bear in mind only 8 races. Still 4,500 strong crowd. With a big $1 million race. Seems low to me. But Im not a guru with turnover whats the norm these days. Still anticipate a low on-course turnover, for numbers on-course.

Edited by karrotsishere

42 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Hi @Maximus

Have you figured out yet why @pete liked having me on here?

Or still no?

Thats an easy one Karrots. can answer that on Pete's behalf lol 🙂 because you actually support the Sport, Know something about most of the aspects, don't get nasty when discussing the more questionable incidents and are all in good humour mostly when dealing with some of the more difficult/ worried patrons and Nz harness racing circumstances

Oh and Go the Sweet Lou's too !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:28 PM, Globederby19 said:

On second thoughts, dont send pics Karrots. 🤣:classic_wink:

Globie.

No need to reply. BUT remember u said something & I was the 1st to say actually I heard the same, nothing to do with horses. 

Thought u were maybe on the money, but then we were all told not true. 

Anyway Im starting to believe it. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1