The Race Place

Entain get a monopoly

pete

16 minutes ago, barryb said:

Whats contained in the article is scary enough & hardly surprises me.

I think Mardigras is right, its time to wind up the industry here, its not even close to self sustainable, I don't know of any other industry that gets the assistance with not much accountability that racing does & most of it is built on a bullshit lie about how many it employs & how much it earns the country.

Its grossly over stated & a decent proportion of it would continue albeit possibly in another form if the industry were to close.

It is so far away from self sustainable, it is a joke. 

That report reeks of entitlement.

Such as

Last season the pokies brought in $23 million profit, allowing the sporting clubs of NZ to apply and be allocated grants totaling $6 to $7 million, but additionally, the codes will now be denied income of $15 to $16 million, out of which the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) gets its funding ($14.2 million in 2021/22 season).

Why would NZ Racing feel like it is entitled to the $15m from Pokies. Which has just been another free ride previously given to the TAB - to then direct funds to Racing, which has zero to do with Racing.

When are people in this industry going to wake up and realise that NZ Racing is so heavily reliant on the generosity of the government to direct funds from all sorts of ventures unrelated to NZ Racing - to the Racing industry - to keep it running.

I am rapt that the TAB is giving up its class 4 pokies operation. It should never have been granted it in the first place.

Not that it makes much difference now, but I see de Lore is claiming differently.

It’s obvious from that remark the Minister knows nothing about the history of the TAB and its beginnings. The thoroughbred and harness racing clubs of New Zealand put up £50,000 and a proposal to the Government in 1950 to financially support the clubs – no mention of the ‘sole wagering operator’ or ‘sport’ which never contributed to the set-up costs or shared in the TAB running expenses.

He may be right but I wonder where he gets that from. Though he says that was to: "financially support the clubs", not for the setup of the TAB???

Edited by curious

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Not that it makes much difference now, but I see deLore is claiming differently.

It’s obvious from that remark the Minister knows nothing about the history of the TAB and its beginnings. The thoroughbred and harness racing clubs of New Zealand put up £50,000 and a proposal to the Government in 1950 to financially support the clubs – no mention of the ‘sole wagering operator’ or ‘sport’ which never contributed to the set-up costs or shared in the TAB running expenses.

He may be right but I wonder where he gets that from. Though he says that was to: "financially support the clubs", not for the setup of the TAB???

Just more entitled bullshit.

Even mentioning 'shared in the TAB running expenses' - given they were reaping the rewards of that. Greyhounds didn't get revenue from the TAB during the years where they didn't 'share in the TAB running expenses'.

3 hours ago, barryb said:

Whats contained in the article is scary enough & hardly surprises me.

I think Mardigras is right, its time to wind up the industry here, its not even close to self sustainable, I don't know of any other industry that gets the assistance with not much accountability that racing does & most of it is built on a bullshit lie about how many it employs & how much it earns the country.

Its grossly over stated & a decent proportion of it would continue albeit possibly in another form if the industry were to close.

Many things wrong about the industry I agree. The club committee system an example where the local  lawyers, professionals, biz owners without the slightest knowledge of racing would get on. All of it based on the "mates" system prevailing to this day. When was the last time someone from TAB or NZTR would contribute something to racing blogs. Takes an effort to get outside ones own bubble which the Wellington hangers-on aren't capable of doing.