The Race Place

Warriors v Broncos in Napier

PWJ

1. Blatant forward pass in the first half gives Brisbane a try. Referee was unsighted if you look at the replay and the NRL have declared the Bunker will not rule on forward passes. They rule on a hundred other things - why the hell can't forward passes be part of their brief.

2. Adam Pompey - a serial offender for doing dumb crap - costs the Warriors any chance of a win with a stupid jersey pull. Could have not done it and the try would still have been scored. Johnson may or may not have got the kick - his kicking was average tonight. But any chance of a win was lost there.

3. The crowd behaviour was disgraceful. Rest assured Napier and probably and provincial NZ venue will not be getting another NRL game until hell freezes over. I doubt the pitch invaders were detained and doubt even more that they will be dealt with appropriately. This does NZ's image in general no favours. Enough Aussies already think Kiwis are a pack of lowlife bludger bogans and tonight has just reinforced this image. Just disgraceful. If Kiwis can't handle attending a professional sports event then they don't deserve them

• Like 2

• PWJ changed the title to Warriors v Broncos in Napier

Yip am not a Warriors supported at all,but agree with you PJ about Adam Pompey..he screwed it up for them,just can't do that. And yea the bogan Napier crowd,yea there will be people that think what happened was cool,but they are probably minus a brain cell..but to have 1 pitch invader is bad enough,but for it to be 3 in what seemed like 5mins is just pathetic. And yip they've probably cost Napier any  more games.Probably keep it too Auckland now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PWJ said:

1. Blatant forward pass in the first half gives Brisbane a try. Referee was unsighted if you look at the replay and the NRL have declared the Bunker will not rule on forward passes. They rule on a hundred other things - why the hell can't forward passes be part of their brief.

2. Adam Pompey - a serial offender for doing dumb crap - costs the Warriors any chance of a win with a stupid jersey pull. Could have not done it and the try would still have been scored. Johnson may or may not have got the kick - his kicking was average tonight. But any chance of a win was lost there.

3. The crowd behaviour was disgraceful. Rest assured Napier and probably and provincial NZ venue will not be getting another NRL game until hell freezes over. I doubt the pitch invaders were detained and doubt even more that they will be dealt with appropriately. This does NZ's image in general no favours. Enough Aussies already think Kiwis are a pack of lowlife bludger bogans and tonight has just reinforced this image. Just disgraceful. If Kiwis can't handle attending a professional sports event then they don't deserve them

Totally agree on the crowd behaviour PJ, also very common in our rugby, which I dont watch because of it. Yet go to the Gee for an AFL game which I do 3 times a year and nothing at all. Aussie far more behaved on the crowd stakes and respect their sport much more, we have a hell of a lot to learn.

NRL will certainly can Hawkes Bay and so they should

Barry, no one is saying the Aussies are angels when it comes to crowds but in NRL it is extremely rare there is even one incident of fans stopping a game by running on. Here - in Oz - they are dealt with severely. Bans of several years apply. Any word on the perpetrators last nighty being caught and facing disciplinary measures ??

• Like 1

The last paragraph is particularly damning-

NRL Warriors vs Broncos: Tohu Harris condemns pitch invasions at McLean Park in Napier

Warriors vs Broncos NRL pitch invasion
(Getty Images)

New Zealand Warriors have been beaten by a heavily depleted Brisbane Broncos side 26-22 in a match that was repeatedly interrupted by pitch invasions at McLean Park in Napier.

There were farcical scenes in the closing stages with the game paused three times in quick succession, as people from the crowd ran onto the pitch causing extended delays which Tohu Harris criticised post-match.

Pitch invasions mar Warriors and Broncos clash at McLean Park

"It gets really annoying, especially when we’re trying to get ourselves back into the game," New Zealand’s skipper said.

"It burns just knowing the other team gets a rest, to be honest. We wanted to keep going at them and try to build pressure, so it’s not ideal.

"It’s something we can’t control. So, we just have to make sure we’re ready to go once play starts again."

Brisbane appeared to be cruising to a win until the Warriors piled on two tries in three minutes before a terrible play from Adam Pompey cost his side a match-levelling four-pointer after he unnecessarily grabbed at a Brisbane player in the lead-up to a Marcelo Montota score. 

"It was a fabulous game, but the interruptions weren’t great," Kevin Walters said after his side eventually held off the late onslaught to record a nail-biting win without five of their Origin stars.

"We sort of lost the flow of the game,” Adam Reynolds said when reflecting on the pitch invasions.  

"Both sides felt like that, but I think they probably responded to it a bit better, and we were probably still stuck in the moment."

"It might be a little while before we return back to these parts as the locals are doing themselves no favours," Warren Smith said on Fox League as a third pitch invader stopped play. 

It isn’t the first time there has been issues in New Zealand with fans rushing onto the pitch.

During the Warriors' opening game of the season against Newcastle in March, there were 13 separate incidents that left two security guards injured.

"As much as the next person, I'm convinced it's the Warriors' year, and I don't think anyone wants to be turning up to sporting events with big cages surrounding the field," Red Badge Group CEO Ben Wooding said. 

"We see in other places around the world where there are big cages, or there are security guards standing shoulder to shoulder and I don't think that's the direction we want to go.

"I think our staff have got the right to be safe, they turn up to work and we're putting these events on alongside the stadiums, and we're focused on the safety of fans, players and I think we should be thinking about our staff as well who are in the firing line."

Wooding warned that the country wouldn’t be far off introducing additional measures to counteract the issue if it continued.

"That's not where we want to go in New Zealand, but we're one incident away from probably the changing face of sport in New Zealand," he declared.

Wooding’s comments were echoed by Sky Stadium chief executive Shane Harmon, who also predicted that New Zealand was on the precipice of having to alter security procedures at sporting events, if people kept entering the field of play and causing disruptions. 

"We need to act before there is an incident which changes the sport in New Zealand forever," he said.

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

Live there, but still post on a NZ racing site, interesting.

Well Barry I was born in NZ. Lived there for 48 years, have family there. I have a number of clients who live there and have dual citizenship. Do I pass ?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PWJ said:

I find it strange that Rocco Berry’s try was sent up a try and the bunker can rule that the ball didn’t touch a blade of grass but they can’t rule on a blatant forward pass. I get it’s a bit niggly with some forward passes but surely they should be able to rule on it if it’s clear and obvious. 

14 hours ago, Mardy said:

Yip am not a Warriors supported at all,but agree with you PJ about Adam Pompey..he screwed it up for them,just can't do that. And yea the bogan Napier crowd,yea there will be people that think what happened was cool,but they are probably minus a brain cell..but to have 1 pitch invader is bad enough,but for it to be 3 in what seemed like 5mins is just pathetic. And yip they've probably cost Napier any  more games.Probably keep it too Auckland now.

I wasn’t sure if I was watching league or bull rush with the number of them that there were. There were at least ten but a lot didn’t make it on to the pitch. 

18 minutes ago, Tonkatime said:

I wasn’t sure if I was watching league or bull rush with the number of them that there were. There were at least ten but a lot didn’t make it on to the pitch. 

It's amazing what drives people to do it.A bit of alcohol and then they decide to try and be funny. Just hope the security nailed them in take downs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PWJ said:

Pretty much my thoughts as well PJ. There's a difference between passing the ball out the backline and handing it forward to a person in an offside position. Unfortunately the Bunker stuffs up enough calls as it is - I'd have no confidence in them getting that right.

Pompey has definitely had his share of brain explosions and last night's probably topped them all. Bit of a shame really because he's playing better than he ever has.        

As for the pitch invasions, I was totally gutted to see that. Glad to see that 12 got arrested. I hope they get fined heavily.  

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/warriors-v-broncos-pitch-invaders-run-amok-as-israel-dagg-hits-out/LFI2JWKKWRCKFGAQPJZCNARXKM/

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, PWJ said:

Do I pass ?

Bloody oath mate. Hold on that sounds a bit strine . HHmmm. Personally I love Australia. But this is about the Warriors of course, but then who cares about the Warriors. Frankly, I can see another 37 years and they still wont have won a grand final. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:05 AM, barryb said:

🎣

Not at all Barry! The boginsville list is long from North to  South, I just chose to randamly use one near the top of the list I am familiar  with. I'm  sure you live on the right side of the  river Barry, so no need for concern. I will refrain in the future from taking the easy out😉.I'm  back in September for a flying visit, hoping there might be a TR meeting, what say thee?