The Race Place

tAURANGA TOMORROW -CLOSE YER EARS!

Maximus

Race 6 at Tauranga - reach for the 'mute' button, especially if Bruce Sherwin is on the mike when he calls Je Suis Tiger  "JAY SWISS TIGER" in the 1200m dash.

Actually, we have a day or so for someone to get the message across to Brucie or whoever ... JE SUIS TIGER  (meaning, I Am Tiger) is  pronounced with a soft 'J' exactly like the second syllable of the English word 'treasure', then Swee, then Tie-ga

• Zhe
  • Swee
  • Tie-ga

Easy peasy, almost Japanese ..I mean almost Francais/French

MM

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maximus said:

Race 6 at Tauranga - reach for the 'mute' button, especially if Bruce Sherwin is on the mike when he calls Je Suis Tiger  "JAY SWISS TIGER" in the 1200m dash.

Actually, we have a day or so for someone to get the message across to Brucie or whoever ... JE SUIS TIGER  (meaning, I Am Tiger) is  pronounced with a soft 'J' exactly like the second syllable of the English word 'treasure', then Swee, then Tie-ga

• Zhe
  • Swee
  • Tie-ga

MM

Reminds me years ago there was a horse in Oz called Allez Bijou and the announcer called it Alex Bayou.

6 hours ago, pete said:

Reminds me years ago there was a horse in Oz called Allez Bijou and the announcer called it Alex Bayou.

actually he won the Dalgety (now the Lexus?) Stakes on Derby Day ...i remember it cos I made some $$ on him in the last of the day (I think) and then had to carry a very heavy suitcase all the way up the Flemington straight to the northern car park

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, Maximus said:

• Zhe
  • Swee
  • Tie-ga

MM

Maximus, if he's yours, next time name your horse more simply, and save all the fuss!

• Like 1

Owned by Weowna Park Ltd, who were removed from the Company Register in 2018???

I see what you mean about Bruce Sherwin and his pronunciation of the name, a shocker.  At least he got the Tiger bit right.

It's not rocket science, not so many horses racing that a commentator could not do a bit of follow up prep work and find out the correct pronunciation.

What are we talking about here, maybe 1-2 % have tricky names, like Aigne:classic_smile:

It is not much of an ask is it

After all the homework they have to do becoming familiar with hundreds of different owners colours

It's that last 2-3% that is what professionalism is all about.  Much the same as the Trackside presenters, and some of their abysmal attempts at pronunciation