The Race Place

talk of strike and disobedience

ngakonui grass

This imo will not happen.

take nz top owners,syndicators and studs,they will not allow this to happen and will frown on the great unwashed.

Remember years ago top studs, owners and syndicators always placed their horses with the one chosen trainer,now these same guys have their horses spread out amongst many trainers so thereby they are now in a position to control racing and they have options as to where they race a horse eg Aust/HK/Singapore.

What trainer is going to want to stick their head out and risk everything.

Well, there is that very real point, yeah...but from where I stand,  a strike has to be  about something specific.

Poor wages, work conditions, workplace harassment,  etc, etc...something that can be identified and targeted.

The problems facing racing are so varied and complex that one fix is just not possible. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ngakonui grass said:

This imo will not happen.

take nz top owners,syndicators and studs,they will not allow this to happen and will frown on the great unwashed.

Remember years ago top studs, owners and syndicators always placed their horses with the one chosen trainer,now these same guys have their horses spread out amongst many trainers so thereby they are now in a position to control racing and they have options as to where they race a horse eg Aust/HK/Singapore.

What trainer is going to want to stick their head out and risk everything.

Imagine  a small time trainer like Clayton  Chipperfield going on strike, the horse  float would  be there  first thing in the morning  to pick up Catalyst

A poor example, Hesi. CC is on the pig's back at present and unlikely to be 'raging against the machine' right now.

But you could pick any number of other examples outside (say) the top 10 trainers in the land and be on the money. I wonder how, say, Allan Sharrock, Bill Pomare, Stephen Ralph (chosen completely at random)  -all fine, skilled and experienced horsemen -assess their positions right now.

Edited by Maximus

Freda can probably answer this, and give me a hard time for asking anyway, but how many people in the industry are doing it tough.

By people in the industry, I probably mean trainers and owner trainers

As income slips, I'm sure many of these people adjust by finding alternative supplementary income related to horses.

Fine skills to have, a good knowledge of the thoroughbred, I wish I had them.  Plus many of these people are being driven by the prospect of a champion horse, and they are well and truly still around.....Catalyst, Levante

6 hours ago, Freda said:

Well, there is that very real point, yeah...but from where I stand,  a strike has to be  about something specific.

Poor wages, work conditions, workplace harassment,  etc, etc...something that can be identified and targeted.

The problems facing racing are so varied and complex that one fix is just not possible. 

Yes good point, you can't strike because you don't like the direction the industry is taking.

A vote of no confidence is more apt, but not achievable, as those in the industry with any clout, are doing fine thank you very much, and therein lies the problem.

All those that are doing well, would still do well, if the industry halved in size tomorrow.  Just a little bit of tweaking

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freda said:

Exactly and industrial action has to be united for what you want instead. A safe and healthy workplace, fairer wages etc.

If we had that specific but united target, then we could paint bums again. Gets publicity and no-one loses.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

Freda can probably answer this, and give me a hard time for asking anyway, but how many people in the industry are doing it tough.

By people in the industry, I probably mean trainers and owner trainers

As income slips, I'm sure many of these people adjust by finding alternative supplementary income related to horses.

Fine skills to have, a good knowledge of the thoroughbred, I wish I had them.  Plus many of these people are being driven by the prospect of a champion horse, and they are well and truly still around.....Catalyst, Levante

Now,  why would I give anyone a hard time for asking a reasonable question  ?  I'm not that much of a dragon.!

And in short,  most are chewing the paint off the walls  [ except Pitty who maintains that things are fine and stakes are good ]

And,  to answer some [ not on here to be fair ]  who seem to think that any horse people who haven't already shot through to the sunburnt land are lazy, stupid, or   naively assuming that   'all will come right '  -  there are other considerations,  such as available funds to do so,  family,  health ....and simply the love of this beautiful   country that we may not wish to leave.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 2

Is there a break even point, in terms of the number of horses that a trainer needs to have in work and therefore receiving an income from.

I presume the percentage off stake money won, is a bonus, and only influences the number of horses in work.....less stake money, less owners.

A bank for instance, would, I doubt, take this into account in assessing the viability of a loan.

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Is there a break even point, in terms of the number of horses that a trainer needs to have in work and therefore receiving an income from.

I presume the percentage off stake money won, is a bonus, and only influences the number of horses in work.....less stake money, less owners.

A bank for instance, would, I doubt, take this into account in assessing the viability of a loan.

Everyone has their own specific  outgoings, e.g staff costs, rentals/leases...a farmer who utilizes his own property for training and rides his own work will have very different costs than will a trainer who leases a public facility and has to pay riders and staff.

So there will be no one-size-fits-all figure.

5 hours ago, Hesi said:

Most banks look at how often you are - or aren't  - in the red, what collateral you may have and how likely ( given the last 12 months'  statements)  you may be to stay in the red.

At which point they show you the door.