The Race Place

NZ Derby Trivia

Hesi

Well they should just be done with it, and run it on Oaks day along with the Guineas and St Leger, to make a quadrella.

Those clever gentleman from the Jockey Club would be turning in their graves.

This has never happened before with the NZ Derby

54 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I don't know the answer, but I do know that the derby as a 'classic' has become a farce. 11 of the 16 runners are geldings.

I recall many years ago The Sanders sold a horse that was a gelding to USA interests before the AJC Derby.

The buyers thought that the horse was a colt as it was nominated for the Derby and they presumed that being entered for the Derby he must be a colt.

Lovelace Watkins was the horses name and he may have been by Skyhawk.Turned out to be a reasonable horse.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Yes and as the next leap day on a Sat is 2048 unlikely to be run again on a leap day.

What do u want your 20 bucks on in the Derby 

Cheers 

Clever Hesi but I'm wondering what makes it so unlikely to be run on Sat 29 Feb 2048?

I'll be getting ready for my 90th birthday celebrations.

8 hours ago, Hesi said:

What is totally unique about this years Derby?

$20 win bet on the Derby to whoever gets the answer I have

Andrew Campbell has three runners . Easy. Twenty bucks please Hesi. 

There is a sacrificial runner amongst them to set up a good tempo, allowing the stayer amongst the other two to do his bit, hopefully. 

Cant let on who, sorry. 

1 hour ago, pete said:

Clever Hesi but I'm wondering what makes it so unlikely to be run on Sat 29 Feb 2048?

I'll be getting ready for my 90th birthday celebrations.

What hasn't changed on the NZ racing calendar in the last 20 years, so 28 years is a shoe in, that the Derby will be held on some other date to fit in with the Sydney Autumn carnival.  Either that, or they will put it back to Boxing Day.

The other option is, that racing in NZ by then has capitulated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Andrew Campbell has three runners . Easy. Twenty bucks please Hesi. 

There is a sacrificial runner amongst them to set up a good tempo, allowing the stayer amongst the other two to do his bit, hopefully. 

Cant let on who, sorry. 

Well clearly the stayer is Tibetan, so either Vlady or Pimlico Peloton will be setting it up

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Yes and as the next leap day on a Sat is 2048 unlikely to be run again on a leap day.

What do u want your 20 bucks on in the Derby 

Cheers 

I'm open to advice and I doubt I'll be around for the next Saturday leap day, so if I get it wrong, probably no second chances in 28 years time.

• Haha 1