The Race Place

Catalyst

pete

16 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Whatever happens, I'd say you'd get 15s+ if you wanted to back him in the All Stars. He'd be wanting to win after all that above. If he doesn't, what next, Ear Muffs be the best idea if he's had to listen to all that.

Yes, perhaps Clayton Chipperfield is showing his inexperience on the big stage.  Better to just zip it

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

Whatever happens, I'd say you'd get 15s+ if you wanted to back him in the All Stars. He'd be wanting to win after all that above. If he doesn't, what next, Ear Muffs be the best idea if he's had to listen to all that.

I'm thinking a tongue tie might work?

Based on the trainer's post-race remarks, Catalyst has a lot of growing up to do in terms of racing manners/ringcraft. A true champ would not have been put off by a horse going past him on the outside early on. And it wouldnt surprise me if the bloods came back elevated or woteva.  In my view the connections have nothing to lose by putting Troy Harris back on for the All Star Mile. The combo is unbeaten. (5 from 5). 

MM

Here you go, you learn something everyday

Alligator blood is one of the oldest poker terms, originating from the Deep South of the USA. The term refers to the tenacity and resilience of alligators to take the big blows and still keep fighting on. A player with alligator blood is one who refuses to give up, whether they are winning or losing.

This may explain a lot. From Racenet:

Kiwi Group I winner Catalyst has been taken to the Ballarat Vet Clinic to determine the extent of a back issue.

Trainer Clayton Chipperfield initially reported Catalyst pulled up well after his disappointing showing in last Saturday’s Group I Australian Guineas (1600m) at Flemington.

Chipperfield said Catalyst's lacklustre finish to the Australian Guineas was because of inexeperience and the removal of blinkers but a physical issue may have been found.

He advised Racing Victoria stewards of the back issue on Tuesday morning.

TAB eased Catalyst's All-Star Mile quote from $11 to $15 after stewards released the news.

Racenet will provide an update on Catalyst’s condition when more information is known.

Meanwhile, vets have found the reason for Alabama Express’ poor effort in the Australian Guineas.

Alabama Express failed to beat a runner home in the Australian Guineas just days after Yulong Investments purchased a share in the CF Orr Stakes winner.

The Mike Moroney stable reported a post-race blood sample taken from the colt showed he may have a virus.

Alabama Express was officially withdrawn from the Newmarket Handicap on Tuesday morning.

4 hours ago, pete said:

Kiwi Group I winner Catalyst has been taken to the Ballarat Vet Clinic to determine the extent of a back issue.

This doesn't sound flash.

I thought he was staying down in Mornington. It'd be a 2.5 - 3 hour float trip each way to Ballarat - which is a fair way to take a horse if it was something more minor.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pete said:

All sounds a bit odd.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/catalyst-taken-to-ballarat-vet-clinic-20200303

Other news is Soul Patch retired due to injury.

I dont think it's odd...take Clayton at face value - he just wants to know why Catalyst didnt measure up last Saturday - a vet check is standard procedure in all grades ...it will help them decide whether or not to line up in ASM. It's also possible that the Guineas run took more out of Alligator Blood than Catalyst 'jelly-leged etc says vandyke ...hmmm ...mebbe Catalyst will have the last laugh by winning the big money in midMarch! Interesting scenarios unfolding here.

MM

12 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I dont think it's odd...take Clayton at face value - he just wants to know why Catalyst didnt measure up last Saturday - a vet check is standard procedure in all grades ...it will help them decide whether or not to line up in ASM. It's also possible that the Guineas run took more out of Alligator Blood than Catalyst 'jelly-leged etc says vandyke ...hmmm ...mebbe Catalyst will have the last laugh by winning the big money in midMarch! Interesting scenarios unfolding here.

MM

Is a vet check travelling 3 hours to get there standard procedure? Do you think a horse trained in Ruakaka would travel to Cambridge (past Auckland) to get a vet check?

33 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Is a vet check travelling 3 hours to get there standard procedure? Do you think a horse trained in Ruakaka would travel to Cambridge (past Auckland) to get a vet check?

They are the best if the best the only place to go - if you can get in, the cost for the day of I vestigation will be 10k plus but none better and VRC accept what they say really is a no brainer but an expensive one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turny said:

They are the best if the best the only place to go - if you can get in, the cost for the day of I vestigation will be 10k plus but none better and VRC accept what they say really is a no brainer but an expensive one

Yes, but this is for an examination where they believe there isn't even an issue. It doesn't add up. 

42 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Trainspotter

Mornington - Ballarat 183 km

Ruakaka - Cambridge 274 km

10 minutes ago, mardigras said:

https://www.racing.com/form/2020-02-29/flemington/race/7

you can find sectionals here.

He ran the fastest 800-400 of all - as some suggest, he likely went far too soon. I like them to push the button no earlier than the 300 in nearly all cases at Flemington.

So you are saying, this is a simple matter of poor tactics, in a race where he ran himself into the ground and hit the wall at the 200m, against a very good tough opponent.

A bit like going out too fast in a marathon, and hitting the wall

17 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Trainspotter

Having driven them , the road/ highway /freeway from Mornington to Ballarat is far easier than Ruakaka to Cambridge. I cant believe it was a 3 hour trip, thats an average of 60 k/hr the whole way, barring traffic. 

18 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Trainspotter

OMG - it was an illustration. The times are similar depending on when you do it. In fact, if you do it at 10am in Australia, it would be likely to take you longer than the same trip in NZ. What the hell does the number of kms have to do with it. In both examples, you are having to go through or around the biggest city in the vicinity - and don't they have quality vets in Auckland or Melbourne. I give up.

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

Don't take me seriously, just my perverse sense of humour, you need it on these chat sites

No problem - I just over-reacted. But the example was more just to highlight the supposed need to travel around a city of 5m odd people (which I think has some pretty decent vets), to go to a vet another 1+ hours further away. As I said, it doesn't add up if you actually believe there is no issue with the horse. Do you think the Freedman's used to send all their horses up to Ballarat for a vet check when they thought there was nothing wrong?