The Race Place

Covid-19 update

pete

Another 8 cases today.16 in the last 2 days.

Chiefs go into self isolation after they had returned from Aussie.Only problem is they had a bit of freedom before they went into isolation.I bet the nz rugby union will claim wages off the Govt.

Rugby Union say that this will affect their balance sheet.For goodness sake what have they been doing with all the sponsorship and broadcasting money.

Stadiums built by ratepayers time for the NZRU to curb expenses.

Frankly worrying about sport and those associated with it and moaning about not being able to enjoy it shows a complete lack of empathy in general for our populace as a whole.

it will be very  interesting to see how this generation copes with a problem of this magnitude, seeing as they live in this consumer driven world. Im just old enough to know my parents went without to battle back to prosperity after the war, with hard graft and sacrifice. When you have to set up "anxiety "hotlines so early in the piece, it raises a red flag as to how much spinal fluid is left in this lot. Having said that its up to us older generation to stand up and lead, and by example show some intestinal fortitude to those most at risk, the elderly, the young and those battling medical problems. That could be your Mum, Dad, Granddad etc or your next door neighbor. We already have suspects in Masterton, our biggest Doctors surgery(and its big) has stopped seeing patients, one Tradesman being thrown off a big building site and told to Isolate. Its time to stand up and be counted and act appropriately in the face of this Pandemic.

Its better to be alive and bankrupt than dead and left with a pot of gold.

• Like 4

Up to 80,000 Kiwis eligible to come home. I expect many of them will - esp the oes i UK, USA Europe etc where health systems are about to get overwhelmed.

Q: How many of the 80,00 returnees bring the virus here, unknowingly, of course?

Q: how does an employer/owner of a factory (eg) respond when Employee A rings on Monday saying: I've got a cough and a temperature, boss...do I stay home for a day or for two weeks to be on the safe side??

Q: How does the boss cover that person's workload/output? And what if there are 3 or 4 people doing the same thing on the same day It's still 'summertime' now but when the usual snivels and headaches kick in over the next 3-6 months ...what to do?

Edited by Maximus

1 hour ago, Globederby19 said:

Frankly worrying about sport and those associated with it and moaning about not being able to enjoy it shows a complete lack of empathy in general for our populace as a whole.

it will be very  interesting to see how this generation copes with a problem of this magnitude, seeing as they live in this consumer driven world. Im just old enough to know my parents went without to battle back to prosperity after the war, with hard graft and sacrifice. When you have to set up "anxiety "hotlines so early in the piece, it raises a red flag as to how much spinal fluid is left in this lot. Having said that its up to us older generation to stand up and lead, and by example show some intestinal fortitude to those most at risk, the elderly, the young and those battling medical problems. That could be your Mum, Dad, Granddad etc or your next door neighbor. We already have suspects in Masterton, our biggest Doctors surgery(and its big) has stopped seeing patients, one Tradesman being thrown off a big building site and told to Isolate. Its time to stand up and be counted and act appropriately in the face of this Pandemic.

Its better to be alive and bankrupt than dead and left with a pot of gold.

I sort of have to disagree with you Rees, but not with respect to the new generation, but the population as a whole

In England during WW2, it was vital to the morale of the people that as many things as possible, that meant a normal life went on still.

Theatres, shops, local pubs etc etc.  

Within the confines of what is safe, we need things to keep up our morale.

To most people on this site, what is the thing that is almost foremost in their mind, and what they are looking forward to the most......Saturday's racing

I think situations like this bring out the best and worst in people, and you can never really tell in advance who those people are, so you can't point the finger at anyone group.  It is more a matter of what strength of character that is lurking within people, not a generational thing

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

I have to say Hesi that your Girl Jacinda and her govt are doing a very fine job currently, we all have to put our faith in her and them as group right now.

Shes a girl for a crisis for sure.

WHAT!!

Do you have an elevated temperature Barry

As another wag on this site commented, next you'll be wanting to flatten her curve

Just now, barryb said:

My name isThomass mate, but I am happy to congratulate her on doing a fine job of leading us all.

I can see past petty politics in times of crisis mate and she is the girl for the job for sure.

Speaking of petty politics, I wish someone would stuff a rag in Bridges mouth. The guys a complete flake. I was a Nat supporter but am impressed by Arderns response so far, a tough place to be.

• Like 1

one thing that does make me laugh in an ironic kinda way, is Super Rugby wallahs thinking they can create some kind of Derby comp to entertain us (and keep themselves on a fat payroll) ..do they not understand that a mass of bodies piled up on the bottom of a ruck is not exactly 'physical or social distancing'..it's as if real life is only important if we still bow down to the money gods of professional rugby.

• Like 1

Another 11 cases.

I have to disagree a little with Baz...not that I am a Jacinda 'hater' like some.  I think she has compassion, empathy, and a good social conscience.. and she certainly is not 'evil' as I've seen her described.     Her ability to expedite things falls a bit short though,  IMO.

While she has to take advice from the Health Ministry [ which I think comes into the 'casual' category ]  I don't think the response has been anywhere near prompt or decisive enough.  We were in a perfect place to keep infections very,  very low..but have allowed people from everywhere to come in holus-bolus,  and still do not test or even advise those checking in at airports with concerns.  Feel all right?  ok,  move along.

Italy's rate of illness was bolting away before we even put them on the travel ban list..too little,  too late, I fear.

No evidence of community transmission,  not surprising because we don't have enough kits to test.  It will be here all right. Self-isolation only works if people do the right thing,  plenty aren't,  but there is no follow-up to ensure compliance.

As for Grant Robertson, yeah,  not bad,  but there are many who are scratching their heads about increased benefits.  Isn't keeping businesses and the employed above water more prudent?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Another 11 cases.

I have to disagree a little with Baz...not that I am a Jacinda 'hater' like some.  I think she has compassion, empathy, and a good social conscience.. and she certainly is not 'evil' as I've seen her described.     Her ability to expedite things falls a bit short though,  IMO.

While she has to take advice from the Health Ministry [ which I think comes into the 'casual' category ]  I don't think the response has been anywhere near prompt or decisive enough.  We were in a perfect place to keep infections very,  very low..but have allowed people from everywhere to come in holus-bolus,  and still do not test or even advise those checking in at airports with concerns.  Feel all right?  ok,  move along.

Italy's rate of illness was bolting away before we even put them on the travel ban list..too little,  too late, I fear.

No evidence of community transmission,  not surprising because we don't have enough kits to test.  It will be here all right. Self-isolation only works if people do the right thing,  plenty aren't,  but there is no follow-up to ensure compliance.

As for Grant Robertson, yeah,  not bad,  but there are many who are scratching their heads about increased benefits.  Isn't keeping businesses and the employed above water more prudent?

I think the government has done reasonably well but honestly cannot fathom how anyone can think that  'Jacinda has looked after us'.

She's a figurehead and manages to emote very earnestly but, let's face it, she isn't  the one formulating the government's response to all this.

As for the increase in benefits? I said on another site that a pragmatic government would have canned the minimum wage increase on April 1. An idealistic government just ups benefits. There's going to be a whole load of companies going under in the next few weeks, saddling them with a compulsory wage increase is farcical.

And don't get me started on what the fuck more money for Pike River has got to do with this whole situation.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, barryb said:

My name isnt Thomass mate, but I am happy to congratulate her on doing a fine job of leading us all.

I can see past petty politics in times of crisis mate and she is the girl for the job for sure.

Barry Barry what has happened to you?

I might be wrong in my calculations but it appears as though the market capitalisation of AIR is $1.111 billion with the Govt loaning them 900million today.

Something tells me that if this covid 19 lasts much longer than 2/3 months the Govt will once again own all of AIR  and taxpayers will be paying for AIR for many years to come.

25 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

I might be wrong in my calculations but it appears as though the market capitalisation of AIR is $1.111 billion with the Govt loaning them 900million today.

Something tells me that if this covid 19 lasts much longer than 2/3 months the Govt will once again own all of AIR  and taxpayers will be paying for AIR for many years to come.

why dont they just buy it back now (ie nationalise it) and give existing private shareholders the $$ to redistribute into the economy?

Edited by Maximus

16 minutes ago, Maximus said:

why dont they just buy it back now (ie nationalise it) and give existing private shareholders the $$ to redistribute into the economy?

Private shareholders might be a little bit p...ed off at the moment.12 Months ago the shares were worth $3.05 now 99c.Plenty of losses  there methinks.

A month ago they were still worth $2.75.

Wouldn't be many airlines that haven't gone belly up over the last 50 years.

Anyone got a spare loaf of bread

All those selfish people have cleaned out all the supermarkets I have been to, not realising, they may very well be denying the very people, who one day they may need to support them 

That's life, we'll be right, bugger anyone else

6 minutes ago, barryb said:

All those basic Jacinda supporters out West cleaning the supermarkets out Hesi?.

One of them was Pak and Save Westgate, so upmarket West Auckland, the other Kumeu New World, which surprisingly does better than New World in Remuera, on a price paid per unit item, on average.

At Westgate, the checkout lines had clogged up the checkouts so much, that I had no show of making it to the self checkout, with my meagre trolly lot, so just left the trolly and walked out, in between the trollies, that were stacked to overflow, probably close to a grand of groceries in each one!

Actually a lot of what you would call, well to do NZ'ers, usually tell by the clothes they wear.  You know the type, send their children to private schools, the wife drives the latest 4X4 judging by the carpark, bought in the Westgate/Kumeu area, because prices were a lot cheaper and it's not really West Auckland....is it

How much did you lose on Tibetan today Rees?

"Soldiers were being drafted in to help enforce the lockdown in Italy on Friday as officials announced 627 new deaths, the largest single-day toll anywhere in the world since the coronavirus outbreak began."

https://www.newsandguts.com/link/cnn-italy-calls-in-military-to-enforce-lockdown-as-627-people-die-in-24-hours/

Edited by LookingForValue