The Race Place

Will Racing Die

Hesi

31 minutes ago, curious said:

Might not be anything to disestablish by then.

No, so it seems.    I'm probably kicking the can up the road a bit - but I have to feel that NZTR must know of the state of affairs.   Of course, they have to be aware that they haven't had funding to end of season.   If they had, they would at least have been able to indicate stakes for July, if no further. I had a couple of 3rd placegetters on March 12.  Win monies  can get held up with swabs,   but place money comes through pretty quickly.  As the weeks went by, I remembered thinking, what's going on here?  I even checked horses bank accounts, in case there were unpaid fees that I had overlooked. But no, all was in order.  Perhaps they have no money? I thought.  No, surely not as bad as that .  Eventually arrived but had me concerned.  Might have been closer than I realised.

And, that makes them complicit in keeping us all in the dark.    Knowing how staff, co-workers, etc. chat among themselves,  it beggars belief there wasn't a fair degree of knowledge. 

What a lot of tossers, all of them.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, barryb said:

Did you see the post over at RC by Berri about how he couldn’t work out why he didn’t get his full amount of winnings.

Really? & people wonder why this industry is fucked, this guy has shitloads to say constantly and can’t even work out the most basic thing to do with the sport. He thought it was a cert and put $30 on it, better to be thought an idiot than to,post something and confirm.

The lack of understanding by people connected to the industry is astounding & we wonder why the sport is done and dusted.

Mardi and Curious you guys must honestly at times shake your heads in disbelief at how stupid this industry is as a 

To be fair, Baz -  I dont think there would be many who comprehend the wagering environment as do these two, apart from your good self   I have read, and learned, for a long time, and , while I'm not clever enough to have worked things out myself, I can read and follow ideas.

I have not spoken to one person who can comprehend one side of the topic - apart from my elderly mother, believe it or not.  And she doesn't bet at all, nor follow racing.   

I stood in the Racecourse Pub one evening, years ago, and had David Jewell tell me that such and such strategy was a game changer, because turnover had increased.  But that hasn't increased revenue,  I protested.  At which point he rolled his eyes, and he and Tim Mills turned their backs and changed the subject.

17 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Join the club - you've been labelled an idiot as well now. 

Bugger. I missed that. Was out working my racehorse. I think I could organise an idiot's club meeting on good winter footing nearby around August. I'm happy to sponsor the blue ribbons for up to an 8 race programme. Hopefully, we can find a sponsor for the bags of spuds. I should have one or two ready. Unless the idea really takes off, I think the stand will be large enough to accommodate the entire club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Happy to offer a Karaka 2020 cap for 2nd prize i the feature race..prob worth just a tad less than a bag of spuds

As long as it's safely sanitised, that should be great thanks. Should cap off the feature race nicely. It'll probably be the 2000m Foxton Cap then. I'm working on travel subsidies for northern and South Island runners as we speak.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, barryb said:

I have a digital camera, I can take the photo finishes if reqd.

Awesome. We'll be transmitting those straight to the  big screen and if there's any question about the result we'll conduct an idiots' poll amongst members to confirm.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

We also need a commentator barry. Reckon you could persuade Aaron? I can probably round up an extra bag of spuds in payment or maybe a bag of horse  carrots if he prefers.

We need a membership secretary too. I'm being swamped with enquiries. We'll have to come up with an application form to screen out the non-idiots somehow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

Yep, this is coming together real good, I hope Australia sees us as real competition.

We'll be the envy of the post-covid racing world. It'll be free racing, just have to work out the jockey fees. Think they may have to ride for 10% of the bag of spuds.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, curious said:

We'll be the envy of the post-covid racing world. It'll be free racing, just have to work out the jockey fees. Think they may have to ride for 10% of the bag of spuds.

They could choose what % of the bag of spuds they should win, and that becomes part of the 'handicap', 4 spuds is worth 3/4 length or something like that. So won't need any lead weight, just use the spuds themselves. 

Edited by mardigras

Just now, mardigras said:

They could choose what % of the bag of spuds they should win, and that becomes part of the 'handicap', 4 spuds is worth 3/4 length or something like that. So throw the spuds on board. 

Oh yeahh. A spud bag in lieu of a lead bag.

• Like 1

I think there's a chief stipe floating round here somewhere in racing social media. Maybe we can get him in trade for a lesson on how to understand the Covid-19 reported figures.

Reckon we can do a deal with Betfair to provide a betting platform mardi or maybe you and Baz could just run a book?

Just now, curious said:

I think there's a chief stipe floating round here somewhere in racing social media. Maybe we can get him in trade for a lesson on how to understand the Covid-19 reported figures.

Reckon we can do a deal with Betfair to provide a betting platform mardi or maybe you and Baz could just run a book?

Yeah - two minimum for a book. Competition is a good thing and one provider is not going to be all things to all of us in the club.

38 minutes ago, curious said:

some lateral thinking required here, lads...can't pay jockeys FEES (there is no money). Why not market it as an exclusive/ unique event so that jockeys plead to be considered for mounts(s)...excess demand over supply = highly desirable attraction...so, let's make the Feature race the Foxton Cap restricted to HOT JOCKS ONLY and they can send in their best pix accordingly.

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

Probably handy to have two of you. I'm expecting to have some inside info and you may need to lay off.

I've marked out an embankment area for the non-idiots that want to attend. Doubt there'll be room in the stand at this stage so that'll be members only. They'll have to pay a gate charge of course but will be extra business for you bookies. I'll have to work out a licence fee for you as that could go to raising stakes for the next meeting but shouldn't be long before we are running group races.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maximus said:

some lateral thinking required here, lads...can't pay jockeys FEES (there is no money). Why not market it as an exclusive/ unique event so that jockeys plead to be considered for mounts(s)...excess demand over supply = highly desirable attraction...so, let's make the Feature race the Foxton Cap restricted to HOT JOCKS ONLY and they can send in their best pix accordingly.

We've got curious ready and able - will he do?

21 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Good stuff Max. Reminds me of the Ernest Rutherford quote that's been floating round lately. Pity he's not around to remind RITA and NZTR.

“We haven’t the money, so we’ve got to think.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, curious said:

Probably handy to have two of you. I'm expecting to have some inside info and you may need to lay off.

I've got a spud gun handy, to be situated down the home straight, which I'll be laying off big time, in order to deal with any unwanted scenarios. Is that in the rules?

4 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I've got a spud gun handy, to be situated down the home straight, which I'll be laying off big time, in order to deal with any unwanted scenarios. Is that in the rules?

mandatory, mate ..make sure you got the hairspray or lighter fluid handy

9 minutes ago, curious said:

Good stuff Max. Reminds me of the Ernest Rutherford quote that's been floating round lately. Pity he's not around to remind RITA and NZTR.

“We haven’t the money, so we’ve got to think.”

that quote was misheard by RITA/NZTR .."We have their money so we don't have to think"

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1