The Race Place

The Mustelid is playing requests ..

Maximus

3 hours ago, Hesi said:

Can you please play Roger Waters, Van Morrison, The Band - Comfortably Numb:classic_rolleyes:

This one's for my little pal The Hesi-meister, king of Flower Power and all things groooovy ... including this fab website..we went diving into the Time Tunnel and came out A-live !! with this classic from 40 years ago originally from Pink Floyd's album The Wall...written by bassist Roger Waters, here he is  'live' with Van 'The Man' Morrison and The Band ...

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

Here's The Band again, peeps ...for my good Maximillions (and Animal Kingdom) mate Graeme, the Brown Foxy One his-self ...with a 1969 song about the last year of the US Civil War  (1865)...a song that was more popular in NZ in 1971 when Joan Baez's version almost topped our charts and pissed Levon Helm off with her warbling misquoted lyrics that Helm wouldn't perform it on stage again ...or so the story goes ... here it is, The Band and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 

Edited by Maximus

It was Levon Helm(the drummer) who refused to perform it again, the above is the last time he ever sang the song and you can tell he knew it was going to be his last time, as he put so much emotion into it......watch it and see

• Like 1

Alright Maxi, while we are on The Band, we'll make it a bit more difficult for you.  Can you play what you consider to be the best performance of The Weight, by The Band, and tell us why you think it is their best....in your opinion of course

I'll give that some thought Hesi but The Band were never my scene shamefully enough..i musta been asleep for a year or so when they first made their mark

BUT speaking of Joan Baez, here's one the Mustelid is playing for himself ...a beautiful, haunting, poignant and intimate ballad with effortless guitar work and a song suited to her songbird skills ..a poem set to music really ...and it's all about her relationship with ...someone famous ( Hesi will know!)

On 5/1/2020 at 11:05 PM, Maximus said:

I'll give that some thought Hesi but The Band were never my scene shamefully enough..i musta been asleep for a year or so when they first made their mark

BUT speaking of Joan Baez, here's one the Mustelid is playing for himself ...a beautiful, haunting, poignant and intimate ballad with effortless guitar work and a song suited to her songbird skills ..a poem set to music really ...and it's all about her relationship with ...someone famous ( Hesi will know!)

Where's my song DJ

It was a bit of a hard one, so mebbe a clue.  Robbie Robertson who had an entirely forgettable voice was not part of the band then

8 hours ago, Maximus said:

ahm guessin' the Hesi-meister prefers this one with the Staples Singers ..take it away Macis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJTFXvkXkA

Must have watched The Last Waltz a couple of hundred times since I first came across the film many years ago.  That is not actually filmed on the night of the concert, but later in the studio, and is also superb.  Mavis Staples actually came to NZ last year.

I thought the following was the best version I have seen.  It is in 1983 at Vancouver, just after they had reformed after the 1978 final gig.  Robbie Robertson, chose not to be part of the reformed band.  There was a lot of acrimony between him and the rest of the band over royalties(he wrote almost all the songs).  Have a look at the pure delight on Levon Helm's(drummer) and Rick Danko's(bass player) faces as they perform.  In all the performances of The Band, I have never seen them so happy on stage, and so into it.....as is the woman at 1.16

5 hours ago, Freda said:

Ok Maxi,  let's see Aerosmith, Dude looks like a Lady 

Ok, rockers, here's one for my little pal Freda, the Mainland's Queen of Rock (who also appreciates soulful ballads, unlike barryb who thinks this site is about encouraging the next generation to love horse racing. Is he mad? This site is about us, peeps, and if you don't' like it, lump it. as Maxi's dear old Mum used to say.  Take it away, Stevie!

Edited by Maximus

14 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Ok, rockers, here's one for my little pal Freda, the Mainland's Queen of Rock (who also appreciates soulful ballads, unlike barryb who thinks this site is about encouraging the next generation to love horse racing. Is he mad? This site is about us, peeps, and if you don't' like it, lump it. as Maxi's dear old Mum used to say.  Take it away, Stevie!

Thanks!  Will always remember Robin Williams zooming around behind the electrolux in Mrs Doubtfire when I hear that. 

Loved  The Weight, too...saw Easy Rider quite a few times back in the day...

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Thanks!  Will always remember Robin Williams zooming around behind the electrolux in Mrs Doubtfire when I hear that. 

Loved  The Weight, too...saw Easy Rider quite a few times back in the day...