The Race Place

Melbourne Spring 2020

mardigras

52 minutes ago, VC! said:

Almania and Collide have been booked, currently they are working on an exemption for a strapper to travel with them, once they have done their two weeks quarantine in Australia I believe they have to enter an Australian  stable Kris Less I believe 

Looks like there is supposedly two lots of 16 - one lot staying, one lot returning. However I had heard that horses were currently only allowed in on a one-way ticket. Maybe that has changed.

Collide is scheduled to run in the Kergolay Sunday night. Usually a good race so will be an interesting watch.

Tonight at York we have the Lonsdale Cup over just over 2m. Featuring Dashing Willoughby and Withhold, the former quite well supported. But up against them is the well performed Nayef Road and equal favourite with that, Enbihaar. Withhold will need to improve in my view.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mardigras said:

Tonight at York we have the Lonsdale Cup over just over 2m. Featuring Dashing Willoughby and Withhold, the former quite well supported. But up against them is the well performed Nayef Road and equal favourite with that, Enbihaar. Withhold will need to improve in my view.

Good race - Enbihaar proved too strong in this. Both Nayef Road and Dashing Willoughby ran well, although perhaps Nayef Road a little dissapointing. Stratum did well for Mullins with a solid 2nd. Withhold to me just looks like he has had enough.

18 hours ago, mardigras said:

Collide is scheduled to run in the Kergolay Sunday night. Usually a good race so will be an interesting watch.

Been some unusual re-handicapping going on at BHA. I'm not sure how they assessed Collide's last run at 110, up 6 from his prior rating. When they assess his Oz rating from that, he may well have enough to get a big enough weight. Pretty average performance to me all the same.

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Good race - Enbihaar proved too strong in this. Both Nayef Road and Dashing Willoughby ran well, although perhaps Nayef Road a little dissapointing. Stratum did well for Mullins with a solid 2nd. Withhold to me just looks like he has had enough.

Agree regarding Withhold Mardi! He just just hasn't  come on in the latter part of the season.Personally, he just doesn't  look right in his action (and possibly  mind)and may need a little more give in the ground!I would like to see Dashing Willoughby come down for the MC at some stage.

5 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

Agree regarding Withhold Mardi! He just just hasn't  come on in the latter part of the season.Personally, he just doesn't  look right in his action (and possibly  mind)and may need a little more give in the ground!I would like to see Dashing Willoughby come down for the MC at some stage.

They are definitely suggesting that Dashing Willoughby is Melbourne bound if able. I think there must be a Moroney connection there somewhere.

A number of runners with possible spring carnival aspirations running today.

At Moonee Valley we have 

Miami Bound, the Oaks winner, resuming over 1523m
Young Rascal and Schabau are in the last over 2040m

And at Randwick we have

Master Of Wine, Verry Elleegant, Melody Belle and Zebrowski in the Winx Stakes. (along with Wolfe) over 1400m.
And later in the program we have Kinane and Masaff over 1400m.

Tonight as mentioned, the Ebor is run at York and Pondus, True Self and Deja are all in market(s) for the cups. Usually a great race.

On Sunday night at Deauville, the Prix Kergolay is running, and a few in there of potential interest in cups markets are Collide, San Huberto and Get Shirty. Also in there are the likes of Red Verdon and Call The Wind.

8 hours ago, mardigras said:

A number of runners with possible spring carnival aspirations running today.

At Moonee Valley we have 

Miami Bound, the Oaks winner, resuming over 1523m
Young Rascal and Schabau are in the last over 2040m

And at Randwick we have

Master Of Wine, Verry Elleegant, Melody Belle and Zebrowski in the Winx Stakes. (along with Wolfe) over 1400m.
And later in the program we have Kinane and Masaff over 1400m.

MV last race not run due to abandonment. Miami Bound given an easy run around the track.

Verry Elleegant was very good. I've read comments suggesting McDonald's ride was brilliant. Not so sure. Zebrowski went quite well, MoW and Melody Belle - both were expected more from. Wolfe led and stopped.

Masaff was very good to me. He could be the pick off Waller's to me (even ahead of VE??). Needs to win something decent to make cups.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:54 AM, mardigras said:

On Saturday at York we have the Ebor. Whilst I expect the fav in Fujaira Prince to go well, for value I'm on Ghostwatch. At 21s, he looks a decent bet to me.

A pretty even field to me without any real topliners. Fujaira Prince won at Ascot, but as the favourite - even he is available at 8s.

Ghostwatch didn't fire - was heavily backed into 10s on Betfair before starting slightly above that. Fujaira Price as expected went well and did the job. He may be a cups horse but I think more likely not, based on comments by the team.

The others (Deja, True Self and Pontus), ran very average and were never in the race. Pondus raced rearward and stayed there finishing last (except for a tailed off runner).

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, mardigras said:

On Sunday night at Deauville, the Prix Kergolay is running, and a few in there of potential interest in cups markets are Collide, San Huberto and Get Shirty. Also in there are the likes of Red Verdon and Call The Wind.

Red Verdon a withdrawal late. Not sure if they'll be impressed with that.

Get Shirty a non runner. Collide was the leader but was beaten early and San Huberto wasn't really in the race and finished last. Race won easily by Call The Wind.

In other news, it looks like Mullins is planning on bringing True Self back to Melbourne (ran average in the Ebor), along with Stratum who was 2nd in the Lonsdale Cup to Enbihaar which was a decent run.

Australian interests have purchased shares in the well performed Port Guillaume. Will run in the Prix de Paris in early-mid September before deciding whether to continue on to Arc or bring him to Melbourne. Would be likely to easily make cup fields. If runs well in that race - Arc might be favoured.

Nominations come out tomorrow 

My mate Finche looks a picture of health has had two trials back ran last in his first trial, then led in his second trial over 1000 mtrs before finishing 3rd

Actually the one from the Waller stable I hope gets nominated would be Verry Eleegant, she has had two really good wins over 2400 in the Australian Oaks and Tancred stakes

Team Waller will throw in a nom for Miyake

35 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I see Sir Dragonet is under Maher/Eustace, that indicates he’ll be on the plane

14 minutes ago, VC! said:

I like him for the cup MC, among quite a few others, 

The MC is always intriguing it’s like a puzzle or game of chess

Yes sure is VC! SD seems the sort of horse that would suit Melbourne and has been running against  some decent animals!He is a definant  cups runner, so a  little anti post wouldn't be silly! We will know how serious the overseas nominaters are once they hit Werribee

PJ, I see Skyward was nominated for both cups. Good luck if he comes over. Might struggle to make the fields - especially the Caulfield Cup do you think? Has a chance to race in OZ and get a rehandicap or an exempt win for the Melbourne Cup, but I don't know if he will get much above minimum in the initial cup weights. What are you and the team assessing as to his rating/weight?

On 8/28/2020 at 7:35 AM, mardigras said:

PJ, I see Skyward was nominated for both cups. Good luck if he comes over. Might struggle to make the fields - especially the Caulfield Cup do you think? Has a chance to race in OZ and get a rehandicap or an exempt win for the Melbourne Cup, but I don't know if he will get much above minimum in the initial cup weights. What are you and the team assessing as to his rating/weight?

Skyward has a one way ticket to Australia - to be trained by Busuttin/Young. Good luck to the team. He would have to win in France in the leadup to make the Caulfield Cup I would think, unless Carpenter does something odd with the weights. And may need a Lexus win to get enough of a penalty if that doesn't happen for the Melbourne Cup.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:21 PM, mardigras said:

Ashrun, 2nd in the Prix Kergolay, has supposedly been bought by Australian Bloodstock for the cup. Trained by Andreas Wohler (Protectionst).

Both TINANDALI and ALMANIA have been declared for Saturday's Group 3 September Stakes at Kempton along with last year's MC runner-up PRINCE OF ARRAN.

Obviously, ENABLE is due to run and can't be opposed on all known form.

TINANDALI was a moderate fourth at Windsor on heavy ground on Saturday and while ALMANIA's run behind FUJAIRA PRINCE at Ascot looked very good, I'm not sure he went on from that next time.