The Race Place

RIP Harvey and Jeanette Crewe ...

Maximus

..50 years ago today, Harvey and Jeanette were brutally and suddenly murdered in the lounge of their farmhouse at Pukekawa, south of Auckland.

Wednesday 17 June 1970. Beginning a tragedy that reverberates through NZ society even now.  

RIP Harvey and Jeannette.

19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

..50 years ago today, Harvey and Jeanette were brutally and suddenly murdered in the lounge of their farmhouse at Pukekawa, south of Auckland.

Wednesday 17 June 1970. Beginning a tragedy that reverberates through NZ society even now.  

RIP Harvey and Jeannette.

You sound like you may have some link to them

10 hours ago, Hesi said:

You sound like you may have some link to them

Not a blood relative  and don't even know the families. Just a long-time student of the case. It sparked my interest in current affairs. I have always felt that the framing of Thomas and subsequent refusal of police to weed out the corruption began a public distrust of our police that goes on to this day. If you are interested in the Crewe case (and we all should be!) I recommend Chris Birt's well-researched books The Final Chapter and All The Commissioner's Men. Birt has spent 40 years investigating the case and unearthed a great deal of info (via Official Information Act) on what the cops did, when and why; and what they knew and when they knew it. The Thomas trials were a travesty of justice, and no cop was ever charged - even after the Royal Commission of Enquiry in 1980 found that evidence (the cartridge case from Thomas's rifle, planted in the flower bed) had been fabricated to implicate an innocent man.

Not only did the killer get away with two murders; NZ blew its chance in 1980 to clean out the 'bad eggs' in the police force. It did improve our criminal justice system in some ways, though - selection process for juries, etc.

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Hesi,

We (New Zealanders) all do. This suppurating stain upon our nation stands as an indictment of each and every one of us.

After the Lovelock Report the police stated said they wont reopen the case unless new evidence is found. Of course new evidence wont be found unless they reopen the case, so they get what they want - no more bad publicity!  

I have read of several cold cases in the USA solved in the last couple of years after DNA testing. I do wonder if there is an opportunity to re-examine the Crewe case from this perspective.

14 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Not a blood relative  and don't even know the families. Just a long-time student of the case. It sparked my interest in current affairs. I have always felt that the framing of Thomas and subsequent refusal of police to weed out the corruption began a public distrust of our police that goes on to this day. If you are interested in the Crewe case (and we all should be!) I recommend Chris Birt's well-researched books The Final Chapter and All The Commissioner's Men. Birt has spent 40 years investigating the case and unearthed a great deal of info (via Official Information Act) on what the cops did, when and why; and what they knew and when they knew it. The Thomas trials were a travesty of justice, and no cop was ever charged - even after the Royal Commission of Enquiry in 1980 found that evidence (the cartridge case from Thomas's rifle, planted in the flower bed) had been fabricated to implicate an innocent man.

Not only did the killer get away with two murders; NZ blew its chance in 1980 to clean out the 'bad eggs' in the police force. It did improve our criminal justice system in some ways, though - selection process for juries, etc.

David Dougherty and Teina Pora being 2 other cases that added to the poor police image

21 hours ago, Maximus said:

Add David Bain, Scott Watson, Mark Lundy ... big question marks on their culpability in my opinion

Not sure about Lundy...but definitely the other two.     Sorry to get off topic - but have you retired from your music videos?

52 minutes ago, Freda said:

Not sure about Lundy...but definitely the other two.     Sorry to get off topic - but have you retired from your music videos?

heck no .. Max will play requests as requested...have to admit I've not checked in on that thread for a while as demad seemed to have dried up!

• Thanks 1