The Race Place

Friday Trivia

PWJ

An Arrowfield Cap to the successful people to answer each question:

1. The scan is of a stallion register page from the 1960s. Who is the stallion whose identity is disguised ?

2. Which Arrowfield stallion features the answer to Q1 in his pedigree

3. The chap in the photo is Ray Reichenbach who stood the stallion in Q1. I want to know at which racecourse was this photo taken and if you're really smart what year ?Mysteryhorse.thumb.PNG.eb40d7c341f27d10528372025f661370.PNGcapture1.thumb.PNG.c705ba4fc18d8373d2815c3c1627529e.PNG

4 minutes ago, Maximus said:

supplementary Q:

Name the horse that beat the horse in Q1, in a Stakes race at Trentham, in the winner's last race of a glittering career

Mainbrace - Harcourt Stakes

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Puha-Tikotiko picnic races near Gisborne !

Beautiful piece of unspoilt country up that coast. We used to go to Tolaga Bay as kids and fish off of the long wharf  for snapper. I 'm sure there were beach races at Tokomaru as well ,equilisator meetings I think.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 4:41 PM, PWJ said:

An Arrowfield Cap to the successful people to answer each question:

1. The scan is of a stallion register page from the 1960s. Who is the stallion whose identity is disguised ?

2. Which Arrowfield stallion features the answer to Q1 in his pedigree

3. The chap in the photo is Ray Reichenbach who stood the stallion in Q1. I want to know at which racecourse was this photo taken and if you're really smart what year ?Mysteryhorse.thumb.PNG.eb40d7c341f27d10528372025f661370.PNGcapture1.thumb.PNG.c705ba4fc18d8373d2815c3c1627529e.PNG

Did Mr Reichenbach or a family member also stand Music Teacher in the last few seasons at stud.From memory i think he may have been the last stallion by Bold Ruler to stand in NZ.

Best horse he sired may have been Bidston Hill

On 7/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, ngakonui grass said:

Did Mr Reichenbach or a family member also stand Music Teacher in the last few seasons at stud.From memory i think he may have been the last stallion by Bold Ruler to stand in NZ.

Best horse he sired may have been Bidston Hill

Music Teacher started out at the Preston's West Derby Stud, Levin with the Fell's Fairdale Stud also shareholders. he did end up at the Reichenbach's Brookby Lodge Stud at Makaraka near Gisborne which by that time was being run by Ray's son Dennis.

The Bold Ruler stallions who stood in NZ were:

Taipan II (at stud 1970-82)

Ruling (1974-91)

Divine Decree (1974-85)

Music Teacher (1974-82)

Imperialist (1974-82)

Bold Tale (1969-85)

Ruling moved to Australia in 1985 and Divine Decree in 1982 so Bold Tale was the last son of Bold Ruler to stand at stud in NZ at Cambridge in 1985. He won 2 races at Aqueduct in 3 career starts and proved to be unpopular (158 runners from 17 crops) and a bit crap. His only stakeswinner was Of Two Cities, a Listed winner in Sydney. His best performer in NZ was Retep who won 8 races incl. open handicaps at Rangiora, Gore and Southland.

Bidston Hill (Gloaming Stakes, Foxton Cup, etc) was Music Teacher's best colt in NZ although Concert (raced by the Fells and trained by the master Eric Ropiha) won the Gr3 Cuddle Stakes and also the Wanganui Cup. Concert is of course the 3rd dam of a recent South Island stakeswinner - Residential (b y Pins). Music Teacher also had a smart colt in Sydney named Tuna Too who began his career in NZ and won the Villiers Stakes at Randwick as well as the Christmas Cup at Rosehill.

Giovanni, Musical Lady, Music Queen and Gold Rod were other useful types by Music Teacher.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Friday Trivia - July 31

Today's effort is a dramatic photo of the finish of a big race.

a) Name the race

b) Name the Year

c) Name at least two of the jockeys and two of the trainers

d) What was controversial about the race ?

The only clues I will give are these: Mick Didham trained the horse that ran 4th; the bloke who used to ride trackwork on my horses at Foxton in the 1990s rode the 100/1 shot who ran 2nd last; 4 of the field were by Alcimedes (GB); One of the horses in the photo ran 3rd in a Woodville Cup and 4th in a Cox Plate !

Mystery.PNG

• PWJ pinned this topic