The Race Place

Friday Trivia

PWJ

The jockey of Gala Supreme, was Aboriginal, and it was considered at the time highly controversial to have an indigenous person associated with such a major sporting event, as they had only been granted citizenship rights 6 years earlier.  Still the only Aboriginal to have ridden in a MC.

His mother was Aboriginal and his father Filipino, and as such, the press only focussed on his Filipino heritage.

Australian shame ............thankfully starting to improve now.

The most visual appalling racism I ever got to see was also in Australia.... Sydney coming out of Kings Cross Underground Train Station but as to this day it still gives me the willies and will leave it at that.

13 hours ago, craigos1 said:

Australian shame ............thankfully starting to improve now.

Not by much Craig.  Aboriginals still cop it big time. We went on the Ghan through the middle up to Darwin, stopping off in Alice . Some of the retirees on that train (white Australians)were shockers when it came to Aboriginals. I talked to an aboriginal chap in a bar/Tab /restaurant when we were in Darwin and talked horses with him. When I sat down at my table with a couple from off of the train , they asked me why I was talking to the quote " stinking, thieving,lying c---t". I kid you not. My reply is unprintable.  The race of people time forgot.

• PWJ unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...

Here's a notty little one.

Which stallion's first runner as a broodmare sire won one of Australia's biggest races - a major Group 1 - and has failed to leave a Gr1 winner or placegetter with his next 249 runners as a damsire since ??

He is a contemporary stallion, still alive and serving.

• PWJ pinned this topic