The Race Place

Goodbye Dean McKenzie, and thanks for nothing

Maximus

McKenzie says: (my emphasis in BOLD)

“The golden rule of wagering is that anyone who puts a bet on something is going to want to be able to watch it,” he said. “Broadcasting is going to continue to be a key part of the TAB’s operations.

“The TAB’s role is to promote betting and maximise returns to the industry through its profits. That’s not going to change.

“There have been some differences lately in the way Trackside coverage has been delivered, and that’s been brought about through current circumstances and the need to operate as efficiently as possible.

“But a punter’s ability to watch what they’ve bet on is a key component of the business and always will be.”

Maximus says:

You do NOT understand, Dean, how vital RADIO is as a component of promoting betting in this country.  I'm talking mainstream radio, not streaming online ex phone or laptop screens. I'm talking previews, reviews and interviews with the real people who make up a real industry generating real revenue and real ongoing interest in the events and activities that make up the colourful tapestry of the turf.

And I don't care a great deal that your great achievement - getting the Act through in the nick of time to save (your boss) Winnie's bacon with his great mates in the breeding industry - when it will be immaterial, cos you are not listening to your customer base! We are ALL TOTALLY BRASSED OFF COS YOU HAVE TAKE RADIO TRACKSIDE OFF THE AIR. YOU ARE CAUSING HUGE DAMAGE TO THIS INDUSTRY. 

MM

Edited by Maximus

Having been a fan of having the radio and being able to listen to the races in the car when I am out, which can be alot, I am coming around to John's thoughts.

The world is going digital, with or without us.

I tried the whole experience today using just the smartphone with the TAB website, putting bets on, and following the races on Trackside 1 or 2.

It is all totally integrated, you can watch(or just listen if driving)) to the races on a small pop up screen, which you can easily enlarge, while watching the prices change, while putting a bet on, as little as 15 seconds before race start.

I'm afraid it is the way of the future, and anyone with a smartphone(or maybe a tablet or laptop), will be accessing things that way.

Was always going to happen eventually, Covid just sped it up.

Similar to the debate over phone or touchtone betting

Sorry, Hesi, but you - like Dean - are missing the point. 'Going digital' does not have to come at the expense of RADIO TRACKSIDE. Yes, listening to an actual race call can be achieved via smartphone/laptop (but difficult in areas of poor internet coverage/speed ie RURAL AREAS where racing industry folk  tend to be a lot of the time). But betting on horse racing is UNLIKELY TO GROW IF PEOPLE CANNOT GET ENOUGH NEWS AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION.This is a fast-moving, dynamic industry. Things change quickly.

Tell me, Hesi ...has the progressive Ozzie racing industry axed radio because it's all about 'digital' now?

3 hours ago, Maximus said:

Sorry, Hesi, but you - like Dean - are missing the point. 'Going digital' does not have to come at the expense of RADIO TRACKSIDE. Yes, listening to an actual race call can be achieved via smartphone/laptop (but difficult in areas of poor internet coverage/speed ie RURAL AREAS where racing industry folk  tend to be a lot of the time). But betting on horse racing is UNLIKELY TO GROW IF PEOPLE CANNOT GET ENOUGH NEWS AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION.This is a fast-moving, dynamic industry. Things change quickly.

Tell me, Hesi ...has the progressive Ozzie racing industry axed radio because it's all about 'digital' now?

I think Aus can afford both, whereas we are in a situation of having to trim costs

Does someone have the data on % broadband availability in NZ.

Surely then, the vehicle is there for more news and background info to be fed through Trackside 1 and 2

without info/news on NZ horses/trainers/breeders/jockeys/clubs going frequently to all parts of NZ, wagering by Kiwis on NZ racing will continue to decline. If RITA think digital is the answer, where is the marketing campaign telling us how to access info digitally? There is none. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pete said:

One point about Radio Trackside is that it wasn't actually accessible in many parts of the country. In the Wellsford/Warkworth area where I live it was virtually impossible to get a good signal.

really? I'd get it on 1476AM quite strongly when driving SH1 though I imagine there are some zones along the byways ..you make a good point, though.. ad if reception from AM is patchy what chance someone can pick up a race call or interview/preview using an App or laptop?

http://www.skyracing.com.au/index.php?component=content&Itemid=215&id=96

Here in Oz we have Sky Sports Radio which covers all racing and fills in the gap with sports news. Lots of previews, interviews and reports and it's available via 140 narrow cast transmitters in NSW and ACT so you can hear it just about anywhere on your car radio or via your mobile. It's free of course. The above link let's you listen on your mobile phone. It also broadcasts the NZ races. I think it is disappointing that Trackside Radio is gone. I wonder how much research was put in to that decision. precious little I would guess.

• Like 1