The Race Place

Election Day Stakes Comp

Hesi

On the latest polls, I am assessing that,

1.  Labour will not get enough to govern on their own

2.  The Nats will improve further

3.  ACT will get the 5% as well as an electorate seat

4.  NZ First and Greens will miss out totally

Therefore with the Greens hovering around 5%, and Labour not able to crack 50%, they may be unable to form a government

The Nats on say high 30's, low 40's, plus ACT at 5%, may also not have the numbers

Stalemate, mebbe

Updated market

Labour on their own          8/1

Nats on their own              25/1

Labour/Green                        5/1

Labour/Green/NZ First      15/1

Nats/NZ First                       20/1

Nats/ACT                               5/1

Nats/ACT/NZ First             12/1

Nats/Greens                        50/1

Any other combination    80/1

Unable to form a Govt      100/1

Been crunching the numbers based on the latest 'real' poll, Labour has no friends scenario

All of the below are distinct possibilities, some more than others

ACT 5%

GREENS 4

NZ FIRST 3

OTHERS 1

LABOUR 46

NATS 41

So eliminate the 8% wasted vote and calculate the no of seats based on each percentage as a percentage of 92, you end up with

Labour 60 seats

Nats/ACT 60 seats

How's that

Would point out to all the nay sayers who rubbish polls, that the polls before the last election, got the percentages almost exactly right

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all

Even though I am a Jacinda fan, I am trying to look at this objectively, that strange phenomenon that is so hard to find these days.

I still think it will be a close run thing, and why I have left Labour/Greens and Nats/ACT as equal faves.

I don't believe Labour will get enough to govern alone, Greens may not get to 5%, Nats will increase their %, ACT appear to be making their run at the right time for the 5%, and NZ First are going to struggle to get back in

Hardly running scared, and no need yet to change the market

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

Not at all

Even though I am a Jacinda fan, I am trying to look at this objectively, that strange phenomenon that is so hard to find these days.

I still think it will be a close run thing, and why I have left Labour/Greens and Nats/ACT as equal faves.

I don't believe Labour will get enough to govern alone, Greens may not get to 5%, Nats will increase their %, ACT appear to be making their run at the right time for the 5%, and NZ First are going to struggle to get back in

Hardly running scared, and no need yet to change the market

I was just kidding mate. Those running scared appear to be at the head of government. All trying to deflect the blame.

Your heroine likes to bask in glory but doesn't seem so keen on accountability when things start going wrong, which they undoubtedly have.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Final market

Probably haven't thought this out as well as I should, but will go ahead and honour what has been done so far in terms of who wins the $200

Labour on their own          3.5/1 Possible that Labour will poll enough to rule on their own, but would they                                                            think of 3 years time and the Greens

Nats on their own              100/1

Labour/Green                        2/1 Has to be fave now

Labour/Green/NZ First      50/1 Winston is history

Nats/NZ First                       100/1

Nats/ACT                               9/1 Still a very real possibility if the Greens don't crack 5%, and 12-14% of the                                                           vote is discarded because no electorate or above 5%, meaning 43-44% of                                                         the popular vote allows a majority

Nats/ACT/NZ First             100/1

Nats/Greens                        100/1

Any other combination    33/1 A rogue minor party such as The Maori Party can still win an electorate

Unable to form a Govt      50/1 Still possible that the Labour/Green end up tied with Nats/ACT on 60 seats                                                         each

• 2 weeks later...

She doesn't need the Greens support for supply.  She can't give them much, as she will alienate too many people.  I suspect as Barry said, there were Nats who voted Labour to allow them to govern alone.

Labour tolerable to the hardcore, but Greens seem to be a big no no

Hardly testing times, Tom, she's completely in charge but doesn't want to offend. If she had any courage at all, she'd back herself, her fabulously clever team and famously compassionate, inclusive, kindness-personified mantra to transform this country over the next 6 years.

The stars are aligned for her, helpfully led by free money-for-everything-and-everyone, courtesy of Covid. She could never have promised and/or 'spent' so much dosh without it.
By the time the chickens come home to roost, she'll be running the UN and Aotearoa (the country formerly known as New Zealand) will be a shadow of its former self.

MM

17 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Hardly testing times, Tom, she's completely in charge but doesn't want to offend. If she had any courage at all, she'd back herself, her fabulously clever team and famously compassionate, inclusive, kindness-personified mantra to transform this country over the next 6 years.

The stars are aligned for her, helpfully led by free money-for-everything-and-everyone, courtesy of Covid. She could never have promised and/or 'spent' so much dosh without it.
By the time the chickens come home to roost, she'll be running the UN and Aotearoa (the country formerly known as New Zealand) will be a shadow of its former self.

MM

I like you Maxi, but you are an incurable cynic

Testing in that she has to keep the Greens onside for 2026, as I am sure we have them for the next 9 years as the Nats are in huge trouble internally and don't realise it is 2020 and remain in the 70s

Cindy was gifted the result as there was no opposition, covid was irrelevant but an excuse

6 hours ago, Turny said:

Testing in that she has to keep the Greens onside for 2026, as I am sure we have them for the next 9 years as the Nats are in huge trouble internally and don't realise it is 2020 and remain in the 70s

Cindy was gifted the result as there was no opposition, covid was irrelevant but an excuse

9 years? Dont think so mate. Cindy came to leadership from next to nowhere (post Shearer, Cunliffe and Little) with no great hopes until Winnie the Poo gave her the nod - and that worked out well for you, didnt it, Winston? That's why the Greens should stay well away from beddie-byes with the Labs, cos its a poisoned chalice. Wait until the lack of wage subsidy and lack of funds from tourism and education kick in - house prices skyrocketing, rents will follow suit; many of the motels along Te Rapa Road are used for emergency housing, we were told today (Newstalk ZB) - and the Govt is paying twice the market price to secure them, while the scumbag tenants show little or no respect for the free roof over their heads, do their drug deals, hold their hands out for more welfare $$, and the cops try to keep the peace. 

Happy days, comrades!

• Like 1