The Race Place

Hugo the Boss

Hesi

Racing NSW stewards put Hugh Bowman's ride under the microscope before adjourning an inquiry into a nasty racing incident at Rosehill that saw jockey Andrew Adkins taken to hospital and Hot 'N' Hazy euthanised.

Adkins came crashing down in the straight in the Sky Racing Active 2YO Handicap (1200m) after being crowded for a run and clipping heels at the 300m mark.

Hot 'N' Hazy became sandwiched between Robbie Dolan's mount Duchess and the Louise Day-ridden Sunborn on his outside and a shifting Smart Image, piloted by Bowman, on his inside.

Adkins came crashing down hard when Hot 'N' Hazy clipped the heels of Duchess.

Hot 'N' Hazy was unable to be saved and sadly had to be euthanised on course while Adkins was transported to Westmead Hospital with injuries to his leg, ribs and collarbone. (MORE HERE)

Stewards opened an inquiry in the immediate aftermath of the incident. 

Jockeys Bowman, Dolan, Day, Glyn Schofield and Jason Collett were all brought before stewards.

Deputy chief steward Wade Birch - who was overseeing the meeting with chief steward Marc Van Gestel on holidays - provided his observation of the incident to jockeys.

Birch noted that when approaching the 300m mark he felt initially there had been a run for 'a short distance' for Smart Image but that run closed when Schofield's mount Mr Colorful shifted out slightly.

"Hugh Bowman came on that horse's heels (Mr Colorful) and it took him wider on the track, shifting out quite abruptly on Andrew Adkins," Birch said.

Birch stated Hot 'N' Hazy came down when clipping heels of Duchess.

Bowman explained the incident from his point of view.

“I endeavoured to make a run to the outside of Glyn Schofield (on Mr Colorful) which I had every right to but in doing so I was going to have to move Andrew slightly but I felt that I was able to do so,” Bowman said.

“There was a shift by the horse in front of me (Mr Colorful) and I was committed to the move that I made.

“I felt at the time I made the call to go to the outside of Glyn I could do so without causing any interference to Andrew."

With Adkins unable to give evidence, the inquiry was adjourned until a later date.

Smart Image went on to win the race from the Brad Widdup-trained Shaik with John O'Shea's Bravado in third.

Ugly incident..............just awful

On a lighter note Matt Hill (Caulfield Commentator) take a bow

In Race 5 today 3 horses fought out the finish...........Chassis , Rich Hips & Shush

Try saying those 3 names  fast 5 times!

Edited by craigos1
  • Like 1

Those that thought he should have gone for a lot longer.

The connections of Hot n Hazy, I presume don't think too much of the lightness of the penalty, considering they no longer have what was being lauded as a very promising horse

2 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Those that thought he should have gone for a lot longer.

The connections of Hot n Hazy, I presume don't think too much of the lightness of the penalty, considering they no longer have what was being lauded as a very promising horse

Some will be happy, some will be less so. The penalty doesn't change that the horse is no longer. my motto is look forward, not back and to not dwell on what has happened, outside of learning from it. Would the connections feel more satisfied losing their horse if Bowman was ousted for longer? 

My subjective view is that he got off light, but the rules system is what it is, along with the appeals process. If I owned the horse and he wasn't even suspended, I'd consider it a poor decision, but it wouldn't become more than a passing view.

When giving his final submissions Bowman asked stewards to consider the upcoming spring carnival and current COVID-19 pandemic while also conceding he may have been ring rusty last Saturday, his first day back at the races for over a month.

"It was my first race ride in five weeks and maybe that had a bearing on my timing not being that, quite as specific as it might usually be,” he said.

“All the major horses for the spring carnival will be beginning their preparations so it’s a very important time of year.

"We have the circumstances of COVID. We are very fortunate that our industry has been continued but it continues with restrictions so travel to interstate, Melbourne carnival most likely will be unlikely this year.

"I think these are circumstances that should, and I would like to be considered when coming to the conclusion of penalty.”

Bowman was suspended for six weeks on Thursday morning.

38 minutes ago, Hesi said:

When giving his final submissions Bowman asked stewards to consider the upcoming spring carnival and current COVID-19 pandemic while also conceding he may have been ring rusty last Saturday, his first day back at the races for over a month.

"It was my first race ride in five weeks and maybe that had a bearing on my timing not being that, quite as specific as it might usually be,” he said.

“All the major horses for the spring carnival will be beginning their preparations so it’s a very important time of year.

"We have the circumstances of COVID. We are very fortunate that our industry has been continued but it continues with restrictions so travel to interstate, Melbourne carnival most likely will be unlikely this year.

"I think these are circumstances that should, and I would like to be considered when coming to the conclusion of penalty.”

Bowman was suspended for six weeks on Thursday morning.

Begs the question, but what is his first ride back in 6 weeks time going to be like......beware

And to think, supposedly intelligent members of the judiciary, swallowed this sort of mitigating crap, hook line and sinker:classic_rolleyes: