The Race Place

Wind

mardigras

8 hours ago, mardigras said:

He's making a mockery of his own site from what I read. Talk about self destruction.

He has got into the habit of simply making claims without evidence.

Made himself look stupid with the situation with Michael Pitman. And equally so claiming punters don't bet on the AWTs in Oz. They do the equivalent of the turf tracks at the same level of meeting generally. And they are continually supported with noms/acceptances. The proof is on sites such as tab.com.au which shows tote pool sizes, and betfair.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they don't need to be. Instead of sticking to more appropriate reasons as to why we don't need AWTs, he tries to use betting as a reason.

And I haven't seen evidence Strathayr will be any better than turf in NZ - that is just my opinion. We haven't got the basics right so AWT don't solve anything here.

Edited by mardigras

On the topic of Strathayr, perhaps someone can answer these questions.

Why does Launceston pretty much never race in the winter months.

Why did Moonee Valley lose half it's races a week or so back

What is the situation with the Moe Strathayr.

I'm certainly not convinced the cool and wet climate of NZ is suited to Strathayr.

10 hours ago, barryb said:

I always consider the size of the sail for downwind running home & upwind I always look for outside draws as the ability to tack is greater. Works for me.

I will also consider your approach Mardi, based on your success I am going to include a cup of Baked Beans on toast for breakfast each day and increase to 2 cups on a Saturday.

I usually find the Harrissa lamb (boneless leg of lamb marinated in Harrissa for 24 hrs cooked on the bbq) is irresistible and has me burning  the tracks up and  finishing  with a wet sail!!💨

7 hours ago, mardigras said:

On the topic of Strathayr, perhaps someone can answer these questions.

Why does Launceston pretty much never race in the winter months.

Why did Moonee Valley lose half it's races a week or so back

What is the situation with the Moe Strathayr.

I'm certainly not convinced the cool and wet climate of NZ is suited to Strathayr.

Certainly,  just sticking in a Strathayr randomly won't fix racing ills.  But from a horse welfare perspective research as to suitability in NZ would be a good start.

The discussion between two excellent posters, however,  made good sense although we know it will only be hypothetical.   Nothing as radical as mentioned is likely to happen , mores the pity.

17 minutes ago, Stodge said:

So you're not investing in Tapeta or Polytrack for the all-weather venues but Strathayr which is artificial grass or turf.

https://strathayrsolutions.com/turf-solutions/

I had no idea it was so widely used in your part of the world.

No, no, it's just been a discussion topic on another site.   Polytrack is the surface that is going to be installed.  In Aus there are both surfaces - i.e. Strathayr and Polytrack in use.

9 hours ago, mardigras said:

He has got into the habit of simply making claims without evidence.

Made himself look stupid with the situation with Michael Pitman. And equally so claiming punters don't bet on the AWTs in Oz. They do the equivalent of the turf tracks at the same level of meeting generally. And they are continually supported with noms/acceptances. The proof is on sites such as tab.com.au which shows tote pool sizes, and betfair.

They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they don't need to be. Instead of sticking to more appropriate reasons as to why we don't need AWTs, he tries to use betting as a reason.

And I haven't seen evidence Strathayr will be any better than turf in NZ - that is just my opinion. We haven't got the basics right so AWT don't solve anything here.

From my reading, Strathayr, has 2 features to it, one unique, the small plastic mesh squares in the top turf layer, and one that should be a part of any track, the sub drainage system below this top turf layer.

It's like the Ready Lawn in NZ, except with the mesh in the turf, that is incorporated right at the start, when they prepare and grow the turf.

In fact, that is the main part of Strathayr's business, growing a Ready Lawn equivalent.

Agree, AWT's regardless of what they are, won't solve anything, how could they, are they going to improve fields, so more people bet on them.  All the other things that are negative are still in place, like the continued drain of our best and promising horses to Asia and Aus.

Racing here, requires major entrepreneurial change.  The money is there, tied up in valuable land, but the parochial approach continues, so in Auckland we have the fiasco with the 3 clubs.

Asset rich, income poor

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Certainly,  just sticking in a Strathayr randomly won't fix racing ills.  But from a horse welfare perspective research as to suitability in NZ would be a good start.

The discussion between two excellent posters, however,  made good sense although we know it will only be hypothetical.   Nothing as radical as mentioned is likely to happen , mores the pity.

No, just putting in any new track won't fix racing, I agree. My main issue with Strathayr in NZ is I don't know of a single cold climate installation that gets used often in winter - so if it is for providing a winter surface, it would need more investigation. If it for providing an alternative track surface, then in the main, would probably be a good option - but would still need investigation.

I disagree with the notion of selling land to build new complexes. The problems are a lot deeper than that. The mechanics of the industry have outgrown the size of the industry.

And we need ALL tracks to provide punter confidence, not one or two here and there. And to bring punters back to NZ racing, there has to be a point of difference that is offered by NZ racing not available elsewhere. 

35 minutes ago, Freda said:

I thought the discussion had a lot of merit..but you are quite right, the mechanics have outgrown the size of the offering.

The discussion is worth having for sure. It's like re-learning how to walk before you run. We have to go back to getting the basics right and then developing what a more complete range of options in my view. We can't even get the simple stuff right, so how are going to get the extra add-ons right?

What a crack up. So Pitman refers to Gosden at Ascot. And then the newly crowned site clown, decides he has it wrong and writes

"If the AWT is such a godsend (that's Godsen with a D) why didn't the CJC promote, build and fund one years ago?" 

he clearly doesn't even know how his name - even when given it.

Maybe we should ask why Gosden has Enable (some might say a pretty reasonable horse), scheduled to run on the AWT at Kempton tonight prior to her next Arc attempt. Seems happy to risk one of the highest rated (and arguably a very highly valued mare), on such a surface. As he did just prior to her winning her first Arc. I think she is undefeated on AWT surfaces.

(My comment isn't advocating one, but many are hung up on things that don't really relate to why we shouldn't have them).

11 hours ago, barryb said:

Found a tin of Chilii beans for the morning wind at Te Rapa, but undecided on Tiger bread or Rye. 1 of each should help.

Now I live in a slight South West direction from Te Rapa, so assistance to back markers on the fence is the pattern to follow. 
Now do grey horses with slightly longer coats catch the breeze marginally better? I am going to go with it and see.

Now Barry, I feel this may "smell" a little of  a smoke screen for a value hunter! We all know that chilli beans are a slow burn and take longer than 24 hrs to break down! So with this information, it looks like you are actually  building up for a big blow out on some value runners on Sunday, after us mug punters have spent our hard earned the day before! Now I know a lot of Kiwis break into a sweat and reach for the milk at the sight of a chicken  korma!!But may I suggest, that the overnight vindaloo followed by breakfast  vindaloo leftovers is guaranteed to get those value runners moving and leave you with a pocket full of Johnny  Cash and a "ring of fire"!

Good Luck Today🏇

Edited by Midnight Caller
  • Haha 1