The Race Place

Time to close this place?

pete

MEETING NEWS

Counties Meeting now at Whangarei – 19 September

The Counties meeting scheduled for Saturday 19 September will now be conducted by the Whangarei RC at Whangarei.

The track at Pukekohe Park was inspected by NZTR, RIU and Club representatives on Monday morning following the recent verti-draining. While there has been significant improvement in the area that was very wet last month, there could be concerns if there was further significant rain between now and raceday. Therefore, to give Owners and Trainers some surety an early decision has been made to transfer this meeting.

The programme remains as follows - Open 1200m and 2200m, Benchmark R74 1400m and 1600m, Benchmark R65 1200m and 2100m and a Mdn 1400m.

31 minutes ago, pete said:

Funny thing is that the old 20k days used to be fantastic. Huge open betting fields.

I still love the track on a day when the track is ok, which doesn't seem to happen much these days.

Didn't they get to 30K days, and in most cases the fave was $7-8

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, curious said:

It's a disaster across the country. 180 went round at the Foxton trials today many of which will be looking for a run in the next few weeks. Where the hell arey all going to race with one meeting a week in the CD?

Puzzling though, with those numbers isn't it.

I can recall maybe 18 months ago, talk on some of these chat sites was about the numbers in the CD being so small, that people were talking about the capitulation of racing in the area.

You will recall that Andrew Campbell, and another female trainer whose name eludes me, had moved north at the time

7 minutes ago, curious said:

It's a disaster across the country. 180 went round at the Foxton trials today many of which will be looking for a run in the next few weeks. Where the hell arey all going to race with one meeting a week in the CD?

The surprise for me is, how many connections/owners are prepared to put their hands in their pockets with such a poor prognosis for the industry.

Or, perhaps they are genuinely misinformed and think all is now hunky-dory?

2 minutes ago, Freda said:

The surprise for me is, how many connections/owners are prepared to put their hands in their pockets with such a poor prognosis for the industry.

Or, perhaps they are genuinely misinformed and think all is now hunky-dory?

Big issue for R65s here especially getting a run. One owner with a couple of those said to me today even if they put on a mid-week R65 day here for $6k stakes, that would be fine.

20 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Puzzling though, with those numbers isn't it.

I can recall maybe 18 months ago, talk on some of these chat sites was about the numbers in the CD being so small, that people were talking about the capitulation of racing in the area.

You will recall that Andrew Campbell, and another female trainer whose name eludes me, had moved north at the time

Kylie Little. Sharne's daughter.

31 minutes ago, curious said:

Big issue for R65s here especially getting a run. One owner with a couple of those said to me today even if they put on a mid-week R65 day here for $6k stakes, that would be fine.

Sadly that grade in trouble

Edited by Turny

9 hours ago, Hesi said:

Why can't they just switch the races to up the road at Ellerslie, it has all the facilities and supposedly a good track after all the money spent on drainage.  Isn't that the whole point of having a good facility, to use it.

They probably didn't want to race on it two weeks in a row with possible winter footing.

19 hours ago, Hesi said:

I don't understand why they move it to Ruakaka.  Most of the horses are coming from the Pukekohe/Waikato region.

Racing in Auckland is a mess

cos the track wont disintegrate from some spring rain

cos Avondale has been used a fair bit recently

cos they wont want to over-use Ellerslie in case it stuffs up their summer racing dates

cos Ruakaka is ready to go and had their last meeting cancelled by coronavirus and/or Govt-led stupidity

Edited by Maximus