The Race Place
Melbourne Cup Comp - see Thoroughbred Chat section
PJ Comp Round 12 split round Part 2 on Wed 28 Oct

Fixed odds opening times

Does anybody know where on the TAB website does it tell you when they open fixed odds betting?.

ie: for tomorrows Hawera races, where do i find it?  I thought I knew what times they were released by it appears to keep changing.

4 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Unprofessional really, and another outward sign of the culture of lack of focus on the customer

So it's not just me with no FOs then? They must think we have all day to wait around on them. Probably gone for their afternoon latte now.

Edited by curious

They have to wait till Aussie Tab sets their odds then clip 10 to 20 per cent off it and post. 

Why you bother with NZ Tab fixed odds is beyond me. 

Betfair or even Aussie Tab far superior

Edited by Turny
26 minutes ago, Turny said:

They have to wait till Aussie Tab sets their odds then clip 10 to 20 per cent off it and post. 

Betfair on NZ races has so little liquidity, can't get much on. Also, you can only get on the last 2 or 3 minutes which makes any early opportunity unavailable as the betfair odds reflect the TAB odds at the time, to a large extent. So any early high prices are never going to be available there. A horse going from 40s to 20s will be well under 40s on betfair.

So you can go with Aussie TAB, but for a NZer, that requires currency exchange transactions.

48 minutes ago, Turny said:

As Mardi says above & only can do that if betting on the day Turny.

I have 1/3 of my bets for Saturday already on and right now there is only 1 option for that.

Those of us who can assess value well are on already in a few cases.

The question has to be asked with this FO situation, what was the idea of the huge upfront cots and ongoing fees, unless it made the system more functional, and as an aside, allowed the TAB to reduce costs substantially, as the platform did all the work.

How long does it take to put a market together for a 8-10 race card, and should there not be a performance parameter with the TAB, that says all races will be assessed within X amount of time of fields being finalised

Aussie Tab superb for FO, and I place early for blackbookers and do well, much better than local even on Friday - often I get 12s when here they are at 7s or 8s, pass thanks but to be fair only on Premier group races which is all I touch 

10 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The question has to be asked with this FO situation, what was the idea of the huge upfront cots and ongoing fees, unless it made the system more functional, and as an aside, allowed the TAB to reduce costs substantially, as the platform did all the work.

How long does it take to put a market together for a 8-10 race card, and should there not be a performance parameter with the TAB, that says all races will be assessed within X amount of time of fields being finalised

I'd say the costs relate to the auto odds updating. So as bets are placed and using their international feeds on betting, can adjust prices without need for a 'person' to make changes.

I don't usually even look at place odds nor bet on them but why is the NZTAB offering me $31 win odds and $5.75 place odds for the same horse? Has something gone awry with my arithmetic?

The oz markets are showing 31 and 7 which is a tad better but still doesn't make sense.  Does the NZTAB just not want to take any place bets or what's the deal?

Edited by curious
22 minutes ago, curious said:

I don't usually even look at place odds nor bet on them but why is the NZTAB offering me $31 win odds and $5.75 place odds for the same horse? Has something gone awry with my arithmetic?

The oz markets are showing 31 and 7 which is a tad better but still doesn't make sense.  Does the NZTAB just not want to take any place bets or what's the deal?

Depends on the race. If there is an odds on runner, the place prices of the rest are often reduced below 'normal' relative to their win odds.

Of course, I don't know if that is the case here and usually requires a heavy odds on.

Edited by mardigras
10 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Depends on the race. If there is an odds on runner, the place prices of the rest are often reduced below 'normal' relative to their win odds.

Of course, I don't know if that is the case here and usually requires a heavy odds on.

No odds on but a 2.20 win fave.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

In my experience, that's not short enough to affect that to that degree.  Work out the win/place market % and that might highlight the issue.

Yep that's why I raised it. Have a look at R1 at Hawera tomorrow. Doesn't add up for me.

Yep, as per barry above - 130/393. Ridiculous. And to be more than 3 times the win in the place market is an attempt at daylight robbery.

It does absolutely nothing to attract punters to bet. 

How can you even attract a new punter to that marketplace. Idiots.

• Like 1