The Race Place

English PL Highlights and lowlights

craigos1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 12:26 AM, Turny said:

Surely Wood must be on the transfer list for some of the big clubs, some of his goals have been stunning

Unfortunately  Turny, I think he has slightly  pigeonholed himself at Burnley! The only top 7 or 8 team that could cater for him would possibly be Everton  imo.No denying that he is scoring goals and top draw at that!

Edited by Midnight Caller

On 5/22/2021 at 4:08 AM, Midnight Caller said:

Unfortunately  Turny, I think he has slightly  pigeonholed himself at Burnley! The only top 7 or 8 team that could cater for him would possibly be Everton  imo.No denying that he is scoring goals and top draw at that!

Love watching Chris play and score but he is certainly in the "old fashioned centre-forward" mould and would simply not fit the system of most EPL clubs. Glad Burnley have stayed up.

Last night was a thoroughly entertaining couple of hours. Leicester threw it away against Spurs and missed out on CL. Their injury woes finally caught up with them. Arsenal missed out on Europe but in a way I'm pleased as the rebuild will continue next season not distracted by playing crap teams from Europe's minnows. Might be hard to sign some stars to upgrade in defensive midfield and up front although Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Saka, etc will form the core of a very promising team that could be a top 4 side in a couple of years.

Good to see Kun Aguero go out with a couple of goals.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PWJ said:

Love watching Chris play and score but he is certainly in the "old fashioned centre-forward" mould and would simply not fit the system of most EPL clubs. Glad Burnley have stayed up.

Last night was a thoroughly entertaining couple of hours. Leicester threw it away against Spurs and missed out on CL. Their injury woes finally caught up with them. Arsenal missed out on Europe but in a way I'm pleased as the rebuild will continue next season not distracted by playing crap teams from Europe's minnows. Might be hard to sign some stars to upgrade in defensive midfield and up front although Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Saka, etc will form the core of a very promising team that could be a top 4 side in a couple of years.

Good to see Kun Aguero go out with a couple of goals.

Aguero showed his class when scoring off the bench.He made those difficult chances into great finishes. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hey Craigos I am a fellow Leeds fan. I have been to Elland Road three times in recent years. The last time 2019 to a midweek game 8pm kick off  against Brentford when it was  packed full.

The previous visit to Elland Road was in 2017 about 6 weeks after the All Blacks v Lions game at Wellington  Stadium. It was like going from a wake to a giant party the atmosphere was so electric.

My wife accompanied  me  and she summed it up well after the game when she said to me that it was so loud that if I spoke to her in the first 20 minutes of the game then she would not have heard me. 

I have been supporter since I was 7 when my brother chose Chelsea because of Chelsea sugar so I chose Leeds because of Leed Lemonade. Back then Don Revie was still playing for Leeds

We have been to hell and back a few times but when there is success, it is so sweet.

• Like 2

Oh yes the 1973 Cup Final. At the time I was flatting on The Terrace in Wellington. We held a party prior to kick off which from memory was about 3am.

As Sunderland were the under dogs  everybody apart from my good Lady at the time and myself were Sunderland. Sad result but still  good memories. Of course we won it in 1972.

10 minutes ago, Bloke said:

Oh yes the 1973 Cup Final. At the time I was flatting on The Terrace in Wellington. We held a party prior to kick off which from memory was about 3am.

As Sunderland were the under dogs  everybody apart from my good Lady at the time and myself were Sunderland. Sad result but still  good memories. Of course we won it in 1972.

I was a 5th former in 1973. Managed to win a dozen beer betting on Sunderland from another kid in my class.

I seem to remember the Sunderland manager but a bit of an eccentric named Bob Stokoe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pete said:

I was a 5th former in 1973. Managed to win a dozen beer betting on Sunderland from another kid in my class.

7 minutes ago, Maximus said:

(Max sat School C in '72, and he did not trouble the scorers too much!)

School C back that far ago was probably about how well you could catch a toheroa at the beach, or draw a couple of straight lines in tech drawing.

Us younger ones actually had to learn stuff.

7 minutes ago, mardigras said:

School C back that far ago was probably about how well you could catch a toheroa at the beach, or draw a couple of straight lines in tech drawing.

Us younger ones actually had to learn stuff.

No, we actually had to sit exams, so a lot of study in the lead up, none of this internal assessment 

1 minute ago, Hesi said:

No, we actually had to sit exams, so a lot of study in the lead up, none of this internal assessment 

I think you are a little confused, when I said younger ones, I didn't mean that young. (it was intended as humour - it obviously failed). I think Pete would know roughly how old I am.

(However, I don't think maximus really wants to see the results of secondary level qualifications)

2 minutes ago, Gordy said:

I spent most of the last two years of my schooling life studying the Best Bets.

Turf Digest was what I had. But was following racing and betting from intermediate school age. My teacher used to love the racing and when Levin was on (Grey Way, Copper Belt etc), she would let some of us leave school to go down the road (or listen to the early races on the radio). 

I was fortunate enough to not really need to study at school.

• Like 1