The Race Place

English PL Highlights and lowlights

craigos1

57 minutes ago, Steve P said:

What's with the 'we' Maria?

Thought you were with the 'Crazy Gang' not the 'Chavs' 

haha no, long time supporter of Chelsea, since I was 7 .. so 50 years 🙂     Supported Wimbledon from when I lived in East Dulwich in 1987/88 and they were our local club (also Crystal Palace, but not a hard choice) .. easier to get to Plough Lane than Stamford Bridge on a Saturday 🙂    Brilliant season!  .. and even better.. many of them went on to join Chelsea... Beasant, Wise, Jones .. 🙂  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:50 PM, Dancing Show said:

haha no, long time supporter of Chelsea, since I was 7 .. so 50 years 🙂     Supported Wimbledon from when I lived in East Dulwich in 1987/88 and they were our local club (also Crystal Palace, but not a hard choice) .. easier to get to Plough Lane than Stamford Bridge on a Saturday 🙂    Brilliant season!  .. and even better.. many of them went on to join Chelsea... Beasant, Wise, Jones .. 🙂  

You would have seen John Fashinu. He came out in the early 80s to play for Miramar.  He took no prisoners

On 9/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dancing Show said:

Poor Chilwell will be wondering what this means for him now with Potter probably wanting to stamp his mark early.

Hey Pete, I believe there's a chap named Tuchel that's looking for a job ...  🙂 

I'm still trying to get over it, especially seeing he took most of the backroom staff with him.

14 minutes ago, pete said:

Poor old Gazza...

1650818403_images(53).jpeg.e47e7e0c4b2025f2faee9ce26c5c7fb5.jpeg

As they always used to chant from the stands.... psycho's gonna get ya!  🙂     Nigel Winterburn who had just transferred to Arsenal from Wimbledon in 1987 must have known what to expect and dreading it when he ran out on to the Plough Lane pitch and every time he got the ball the chant would go up.   It only took about 10 minutes before his feet were taken out from under him in a Jones tackle..   

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Johns doing OK, bother Justin was the tragic story.

Yes Justinus was a tragic story.   His early career with Norwich was amazing and I think looking back in retrospect there was probably a lot of stuff that went on at his various clubs that impacted so much on his on field mental state.   So sad, because he was just such a sportsman, natural talent.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, Dancing Show said:

Poor Chilwell will be wondering what this means for him now with Potter probably wanting to stamp his mark early.

Hey Pete, I believe there's a chap named Tuchel that's looking for a job ...  🙂 

Bielsa to Brighton - now that's what I want to see !!

The south coast would be good for his arthritis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Basque Unai Emery (Dick's distant cousin) appointed Aston Villa manager.

Kind of landed on their feet there Villa. A proven upgrade on the Gerard experiment.

Good luck to them.

Their 4-0 hammering of a capable Brentofrd side during the week, bore all the suggestion that the players had simply downed tools in the previous couple of weeks to ensure Gerard was sacked. It happens, believe me....

31 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Basque Unai Emery (Dick's distant cousin) appointed Aston Villa manager.

Kind of landed on their feet there Villa. A proven upgrade on the Gerard experiment.

Good luck to them.

Their 4-0 hammering of a capable Brentofrd side during the week, bore all the suggestion that the players had simply downed tools in the previous couple of weeks to ensure Gerard was sacked. It happens, believe me....

When you've got a guy like Danny Ings in your team and he's not scoring you need to ask why.

Gerrard gone and Ings scores 2. A bit circumstantial I admit but all the same...

37 minutes ago, pete said:

When you've got a guy like Danny Ings in your team and he's not scoring you need to ask why.

Gerrard gone and Ings scores 2. A bit circumstantial I admit but all the same...

Ings looked like a different player yesterday. Previous games recently he shambled around the field like a drunk third wheel at a party. Yesterday he was energized. To be fair, Villa have some talented players but Gerard was unable to get a tune out of them. This happens so often. It's almost as though the people that own/run football clubs know nothing about it but can recognize a star name.

Famous players are usually poor choices as managers, no matter what the code.

Guardiola played for Spain many times and Captained Barca but it was his immersion in La Masia from a young age (13 I think) that really prepared him for his managerial career.

Alex Ferguson was a handy player but only capped 4 times by Scotland.

Arsene Wenger was a very modest player in the French lower leagues but with a brain like a sponge.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Not mine. Yeeeesh. I notice the Brighton fans chanting "sacked on Monday" to the ex Brighton coach who now has taken over Chelsea. Plenty of ups and downs over the years following the pensioners.

You think you've had ups and downs. We were 45 minutes away from non league football in 1997.

Screenshot_20221031-163329_Chrome.thumb.jpg.13efa91db96c8e98f1f21e4cf7d01e1a.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...