The Race Place

Question Time

Midnight Caller

33 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Just reading about Sir Dragonet, and as long as the track is not fast, it sounds like it is a superior horse.

So either Tiger Moth or Sir Dragonet

I'm not wholly convinced SIR DRAGONET doesn't go on fast ground - his two runs on Good to Firm ground in the UK were fifth in the Derby and fourth in the Leger so both Group 1 classics and he wasn't beaten far in either.

If it came up decent at Flemington, he'd have every chance but I thought it dropped for him nicely in the Cox Plate.

Cheers Hesi, I know it is easy to say now, but SD was my 3rd pick in the PJ comp and if you dig deep enough into his form he won at Chester (Mooney Valley  of the North)may have been the Chester Vase on softiish ground.Started Derby fav with Ryan Moore (who has 1st pick)finished  4th or 5th in a blanket  finish  behind AVD. 4yr old form admittedly hasn't  been that great, but has low miles on the clock! His last start before coming was in a Grp 1 going down to Magical,who is rated something like 120/122 and ran creditably.I was surprised by the ease of the win, not the win as you can never under estimate the Northern  group form.I did my ante money on AVD(50),Finche( 20)and Dashing Willoughby(20) in the Caulfield Cup and have 6 antes for 20 in the MC if they all get in! None on the fav.

From Racenet

In a sobering warning to Melbourne Cup rivals, Glen Boss has described Sir Dragonet’s emphatic Cox Plate victory as “just the tip of the iceberg.”

Boss was stunned by Sir Dragonet’s searing late speed on a soft 7 track as the Irish import used superior aerobic capacity to run down Armory and Russian Camelot at The Valley on Saturday.

“There are two things that got me about the horse, his finishing speed at the winning post and the way he way he pulled up,” Boss said.

“He pulled up that well that even Ciaron (Maher) was taken aback. It was like he hadn’t had a run.

“He’s got a really superior aerobic capacity. (Former jockey) James Winks said ‘This horse, he’s got a big tank,’ and he has.

“He was really impressive.”

Boss has been confirmed as Sir Dragonet’s Melbourne Cup rider, predicting the son of Camelot will “run top four” at Flemington in favourable conditions.

“The only thing is that he wouldn’t want is too hard a track,” Boss said.

you gotta love the overblown lingo here, dont ya ..
'a sobering warning', 'superior aerobic capacity' ...mebbe the writer was drunk on success.

For goodness's sake, the horse had found one horse with superior aerobic capacity at each of his previous four starts!

A fabulous Cox Plate win by SD, to be sure, but 3200m at Flemington has found out many horses with allegedly 'superior aerobic capacity' before ...

what I found most interesting about the horse is his damside - mother Sparrow out of All Too Beautiful, herself a daughter of Urban Sea (mother of Galileo and Sea The Stars).

MM

Edited by Maximus

46 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Something else rather interesting about the 2020 Cox Plate.

There were three starters whose sires won the Cox Plate - can you name them? And all three sires sired winners over the weekend - can you name them?

Can only see 2

15 minutes ago, Maximus said:

who have you found? Could be another Mustelid mixup here. ..thinking three, but but third in my mind was  Shamus Award whose winner Sovereign Award won an earlier race. solly for confusion...

Savabeel and Ocean Park

On 10/22/2020 at 7:29 PM, Midnight Caller said:

I've  still got a bit to get off my chest...

PJ, how did Skyward pull up?Are you pressing on?

Globe,How is that bargain Belardo filly coming along, your son- inlaw secured?

Did someone  leave the tap on overnight at Mutamuta, or was there lots of rain the days preceding?

Maxi, do you have a new code name now? And is it a four or five letter word?

Is it true,that the South is a sea of red?

Still not yet decided. Skyward is pushing on in the slim hope we will get a Cup start but the Mackinnon looks like the best alternative should we miss out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Still not yet decided. Skyward is pushing on in the slim hope we will get a Cup start but the Mackinnon looks like the best alternative should we miss out.

Inched one step closer with the removal of Zebrowski. It would be a surprise to make the field, but sometimes some strange things happen in the last few days.

1 hour ago, Midnight Caller said:

Sorry to hear the passing of former Wales and Lions player of the 70's,J J Williams. Was he one of  the best of his time? My vote is yes!

RIP JJ

Wow ! Very sad. One of the greatest rugby players ever

• Hesi unpinned this topic