The Race Place

Vale Wally O'Hearn

Blind Squirrel

I see the sad news that popular racing journalist Wally O'Hearn has passed away.

I knew Wally had been battling cancer for several years now and it is so sad to see one of the good guys succumb to the insidious disease.

Wally was always great fun and had a real sense of mischief about him which I found very refreshing. He could also write a ripping yarn.

Condolences to his family and many friends.

• Thanks 1

Very sad to learn of Wally's passing. When I managed Stoney Bridge he was the first guy I sent my press releases to because I always knew he would give us good coverage. He was great to chat with. A consummate professional who always knew when something was "off the record" it stayed that way. Yes, and a funny guy also. It has been a year or two since I last spoke with him and had no idea he was battling cancer but then being the man he was I wouldn't have expected him to divulge that, I know I wouldn't. Will be sadly missed by all who knew him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2