The Race Place

The year 2020 in Review

Hesi

I loved lockdown.

The quiet, the birdlife seeping back into the trees,  the lack of traffic, no fkwits coming around to annoy me, the first time in 40 years that I haven't had to get up at 4 ish and shovel shit and get my feet squashed by errant horses...missed them regardless but they were in good hands for the duration.  No bills to pay, other than very basic costs.  My dogs were ecstatic,  they got a run every day....but I'm probably not normal, so there it is.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Freda said:

I loved lockdown.

The quiet, the birdlife seeping back into the trees,  the lack of traffic, no fkwits coming around to annoy me, the first time in 40 years that I haven't had to get up at 4 ish and shovel shit and get my feet squashed by errant horses...missed them regardless but they were in good hands for the duration.  No bills to pay, other than very basic costs.  My dogs were ecstatic,  they got a run every day....but I'm probably not normal, so there it is.

1. Quatromosa - highlights in NZ tends to be my most recent decent win there. Best horse - probably Addeybb for me.

2. I agree with Freda in respect of lockdown and the birdlife etc. Not suggesting NZ can sustain that, but the peacefulness (less traffic) and fauna was a real nice change.  And I also found out that NZ really should have followed a path more similar to Slovenia's. With a population of 2 million and their in excess of 100,000 cases, over 2300 deaths attributed to Covid, and Q1, Q2 and Q3 GDP impacts of -2.4%,-13.0% and -2.6%, just how good could things have been here? 

3. Don't care - remind me who the prime minister is. What's he/she like?

4. I'm looking at a career change. I've been hearing good things about being a DBA.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I loved lockdown.

Yes, well said, and you got paid for it lol

• Like 1

1.  Best horse, a toss up between Avantage and Melody Belle.  Avantage won the Telegraph, Huanui Farms, Bonecrusher and Foxbridge, 2nd in the Livamol, 2nd in the Windsor Park and 3rd in the Tarzino, yet when the 2 met in the Livamol and Windsor Park, Melody Belle came out on top.  

Biggest disappointment in Aus was Melody belle

Biggest disappointment in NZ, was that Jennifer Eccles did not come back to form

2.  Covid, how lucky we all are in NZ, we are all free to do what we want this Xmas, other than the travel overseas thing.  Whereas Sydney and London are going into lock down.

3.  Politics, the sky did not and has not fallen in.  Time for all the 'experts' to get a career change, did I read somewhere a Sept quarter rebound of GDP by 14 %

4.  The ongoing concern about house prices in NZ, and the long term effects it will have on us as a community as a whole.  Remember also, as prices go up, so do rents.  A lot of unseen pain in the community, that is exacerbated by the pressure of Xmas

• Like 1

And of course a very Merry Xmas and best wishes for prosperity in 2021 to all the Race Place community and a big thank you for supporting us, especially those that have run comps, contributed to the excellent success of the tipping forum, and anyone in fact who has posted.  A special mention also, to those that have opened the eyes of many about the importance of value in punting, and the enigmatic Peter Jenkins, whose competitions continue to get even more legendary.

Only a small site, but a relaxed and fun one.

And most importantly, may your horses run well and your punting be successful

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1: Best horse and performance: Golden Sixty in Hong Kong and one of the best in the world. Best bet: Fleetwood Maca winning at 2nd start in NZ paying $61.00.

2: Covid: Finding out just how selfish and toxic a lot of people are here in Australia. 

3: Politics: Never discuss politics or religion. Makes life easier. 

4: Being diagnosed late 2019 with type 2 diabetes and working hard (successfully) to get my blood sugar down to a normal range. Learning about value betting from members of this site and finding what works for me (still refining). Thumbs up to Pete and Hesi for creating this site. 

• Like 3

1: my favourite race is always the Melbourne Cup regardless of my poor record in race although  3  of the times I've been there NZ Breds have won 

Empire Rose , Tawriffic & Brew

Favourite Horse... a bit outside the square Bettor Twist...magnificent 3yo filly who never wins by much but gets there (Harness)

NZ Racing ................CWJ getting record & Melody Belle

Possibly Roger James comments on amalgamation of Auckland Racing......A man I respect beyond reproach.

2: Covid...........obviously pleased we (NZ) followed our Ministry of Health guidelines.

As an aside just was reading how disappointed King of Sweden was with there approach

3: Obviously I'm happy with Labour / Greens thingee but I will say that the Prime Minister had a lot of confidence in the former Foreign Affairs Minister who was well liked among his peers.

4: Housing...... In 2003 we paid 75000 for our house in the middle of nowhere!

That dosen't bother us but it is ridiculous that our little wooden 2 bedroom house is worth  250000 now!

How they fix that .... I don't know and don't envy anyone who try's. 

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 4

1  .    Being here, amongst a cool racing fraternity who respect each other whether in jest or pure fun and for me having people to chat to.

Best Horse  Thoroughbred    Melody Belle

Standardbred     Spankem  ..... he just keeps turning up and winning.

Best Performance    Chris W Johnson ..... winning on Sassenach to break the record on what is considered his coolness to bring a horse from back of a field and slice through practically untouching it with the whip.

COVID ............ With my health issues ..... a very scary time ..... lockdown made it more lonlier than usual ..... thank goodness for raceplace .... helped wile away the time.

plus PWJ'S  COMPS !!!!

POLITICS.    Pass but greatful the right people were in place during this bizzare year.

ANYTHING ELSE :   Before i pass on to have a share in a winning horse so I can feel that HIGH !!!

• Like 7

RACE Place, a great site that works well with little niggle 

Best of 2020 - CWJ. Magic man has an incredible work diet including much travel, driving the Parsons truck to and from meetings, 9 rides then a 5 hour trip home. Chris highly private but is stoked he got there, and a gong must be on its way. A superstar and a bloody top guy

Fav Harness pony is Clive, toughest pony going round, should have been a star pony

Covid - piss off

PWJ comps - after 13 years participating still wonder how PJ finds the time, just a legend our PJ

Politics - like her or not JA held the country together along with Ashley and today I can go to a rock concert, a cricket match or a race meeting over the holidays - whilst London Bridge is falling down, well done team of 5 mil. JA got it very right

2021 - let's get back on track

Enjoy 

Edited by Turny
  • Like 4