The Race Place

This is of concern

Hesi

1 minute ago, ABB said:

Hands. Reading the race both his and the others around him Taking the right options more often than the other do. 

Maybe as a betting proposition he is over backed but from an owner/trainer position and you had a horse you thought was decent he would be most trainers first option.  

That's fine as that is your opinion. But can you explain why it is that for 990 comparisons between a horse he rode, that another rider also rode (same track, track condition, distance), across all of those rides, he rode the horse to a time of 0.2 seconds slower than the other rider on average. 

Of course some races will be run slower etc, but you'd also expect that to even out across a large number of comparisons.

For someone with such great hands, making such great decisions, being a superior rider, I find it pretty odd that this would be the case. He must have been bloody unfortunate to find himself in so many slowly run races - yet still couldn't work out that was the case and decide to do something about it. There is nothing insignificant about 0.2 seconds - on average.

17 minutes ago, ABB said:

Hands. Reading the race both his and the others around him Taking the right options more often than the other do. 

Maybe as a betting proposition he is over backed but from an owner/trainer position and you had a horse you thought was decent he would be most trainers first option.  

Aaron, please remember most trainers have no idea according to mardigras. What they do won't affect the horses performance. If a horse can run it will run regardless of who is training it and who is riding it. 

I guess thats why despite claiming to be a professional punter who wins year on year is still having to work for a living.

6 minutes ago, London Trader said:

Is he better than Chris Dell or not? What does your analysis tell you?

My analysis doesn't rate jockeys - I ignore them. If I thought they were a factor worth considering, then I would try and assess them so as to work out their impact.

I'd love to hear how you would have determined the chance of Te Akau Shark in a race with Bosson on, versus the chance of Te Akau Shark with Dell on. What's the impact to chance going to be. Surely that is what you are suggesting. Bosson is going to have a higher chance than Dell (given Bosson would be sought out in order to win). if you thought Te Akau Shark was a 50% chance with Bosson on, what chance with Dell on? Please answer that.

Is he better than Dell. Probably. Difficult to do any objective comparison given the opportunities afforded each rider are so very different. So any comparison will likely end up being largely subjective. They have ridden the same horse over the track/distance/condition combination. Dell was ahead on times for those comparisons from my data - but that consists of 3 occurrences - and they are all a long time ago. But he certainly didn't seem to be incapable of riding the individuals any different than Bosson

Do I think he would make a difference to the result. Probably not.

1 hour ago, London Trader said:

Aaron, please remember most trainers have no idea according to mardigras. What they do won't affect the horses performance. If a horse can run it will run regardless of who is training it and who is riding it. 

I guess thats why despite claiming to be a professional punter who wins year on year is still having to work for a living.

Where have I stated that trainers have no idea? 

Are you saying a person can't work and punt professionally? I do work, part time, no doubt. Have for about 3 years now. it's called keeping one's brain active after 15 years of not doing so. What has that got to do with the discussion?

Maybe you are disputing that I make money from betting. If so, just say so. Clearly you think that has a bearing on this discussion, although I haven't a clue what it is. 

Seems you don't like people having an opinion that differs from yours. Diddums. Get over it.

Edited by mardigras

Star Kiwi jockey Opie Bosson will likely miss this month’s Karaka Million, after an appeal against careless riding charges was unsuccessful.

The 40-year-old was hit with two suspensions for careless riding at Ellerslie on New Year's Day.

Sunday's marathon hearing went nearly three hours, before Bosson's plea was rejected. He will miss out on an opportunity to record his fifth consecutive win at New Zealand's richest race on January 23.

Missing the race could cost Bosson $50,000 in prizemoney and he can’t return to action until the Wellington Cup on January 30.

A "gutted" Bosson believes another appeal is still possible, but hasn’t decided whether to pursue that option.

"I'm a bit disappointed that I won't be there for the big night, but I'll be back bigger and stronger for next year," he tells Newshub.

1 hour ago, mardigras said:

If that is the case, then it is further highlighting the reasons why NZ racing is going down the toilet.

And I'm not concerned with the process, but if he is appealing the appeal decision, why can't it simply be heard well before the dates he wants to ride. 

As for appealing against an appeal decision, I think some think this happens all the time in Oz. I'd say it is rare. I believe they would have to appeal the racing tribunal decision to VCAT in the case of Victorian decisions. 

Also, imo, they should have a rule where a frivolous appeal is subject to a severe increase in penalty due to wasting time. This is frivolous as it is being done solely to delay the period, not because the period is unjust.

I think what is also of concern, while it is in Bosson's name, it is not him that is appealing for reasons of being incorrectly penalized, it is Te Akau that are appealing in order to get what they believe is the best jockey for races worth a lot of money

At least it is in good hands, Hon Lyn Steven's QC, CNZM.  If there is no integrity there, might as well give it up

The conclusion of the Tribunal is that the Appeals must be dismissed and the decisions of the Raceday Judicial Committee in respect of both Races 3 and 4 upheld.

The detailed "reasons for decision" spoken of above will be available before the close of business on 15 January 2021

I do not see how it would be 'fair and just' for Mr Bosson to have his raceday suspension period reduced. Te Akau should simply contract another senior rider or riders. The impartiality of the JCA would be clearly compromised if the 'impassioned plea' of David Ellis and the letters of support from Wilcox and Lindsay (and the BGP, of all things!) proved to be sufficient to overturn this decision.

MM

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I do not see how it would be 'fair and just' for Mr Bosson to have his raceday suspension period reduced. Te Akau should simply contract another senior rider or riders. The impartiality of the JCA would be clearly compromised if the 'impassioned plea' of David Ellis and the letters of support from Wilcox and Lindsay (and the BGP, of all things!) proved to be sufficient to overturn this decision.

MM

They were missing an impassioned plea from Molly and RC, the cleaner at Ellerslie, and Emily's long lost aunty.....well that is what it is coming to, a circus