The Race Place

National Championships Super Comp Results Thread

PWJ

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

I think Count Kereru won the Telegraph that day, vS ..one of Max's fave racehorses ...shame I was way to young to be punting, bound to have had the Field in the Cup with CK in the 'daily double'

MM

correct Gluteus and a young vS got 50c worth of the double = big bucks for a college kid in those days. In fact had 2 horses going with SDM the other being good horse Lilt who ran 3rd. von Hesi is correct Pinotage ran 2nd. 😊

• Like 1

This could throw a spanner into the works for the Final Round:

Sunday Preferred NZ Derby Option

Monday, 1st March 2021

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) and the Auckland Racing Club (ARC) held discussions on Sunday morning regarding the impact of Saturday’s announcement that Auckland was moving back into Covid Alert Level 3 for seven days. Of primary concern is the Gr1 Vodafone New Zealand Derby (2400m), which was due to be run at Ellerslie on Saturday March 6, according to loveracing.nz. Under the current Alert Level 3 status in Auckland and the remainder of the country at Alert Level 2, the meeting is unable to be held at Ellerslie on Saturday. NZTR and the ARC's preferred solution is to move the Derby meeting to Sunday March 7 in the hope that Auckland would move back to Alert Level 2 at the end of the seven-day period announced by the government. "While this is the 'best case' scenario, it is by no means a certainty," NZTR chief executive officer Bernard Saundry said. "We are continuing to work through different options should indications be that Auckland will not come out of Alert Level 3 at that time. Our focus, and that of the ARC, is to ensure that the country's blue riband event for our 3YOs goes ahead. Two World Wars failed to see the New Zealand Derby stopped and we are determined that Covid won't either." Should Level 3 restrictions be maintained in Auckland, Te Aroha is being considered as a backup venue for the Derby.

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

correct Gluteus and a young vS got 50c worth of the double = big bucks for a college kid in those days. In fact had 2 horses going with SDM the other being good horse Lilt who ran 3rd. von Hesi is correct Pinotage ran 2nd. 😊

Lilt, what a lovely big girl she was.  Whenever they were at Trentham Ray used to mix up her feed and make sure he saved a handful for me  😄  odd child I was, only 6 or so at the time but I sure did love horse feed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

This could throw a spanner into the works for the Final Round:

Sunday Preferred NZ Derby Option

Monday, 1st March 2021

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) and the Auckland Racing Club (ARC) held discussions on Sunday morning regarding the impact of Saturday’s announcement that Auckland was moving back into Covid Alert Level 3 for seven days. Of primary concern is the Gr1 Vodafone New Zealand Derby (2400m), which was due to be run at Ellerslie on Saturday March 6, according to loveracing.nz. Under the current Alert Level 3 status in Auckland and the remainder of the country at Alert Level 2, the meeting is unable to be held at Ellerslie on Saturday. NZTR and the ARC's preferred solution is to move the Derby meeting to Sunday March 7 in the hope that Auckland would move back to Alert Level 2 at the end of the seven-day period announced by the government. "While this is the 'best case' scenario, it is by no means a certainty," NZTR chief executive officer Bernard Saundry said. "We are continuing to work through different options should indications be that Auckland will not come out of Alert Level 3 at that time. Our focus, and that of the ARC, is to ensure that the country's blue riband event for our 3YOs goes ahead. Two World Wars failed to see the New Zealand Derby stopped and we are determined that Covid won't either." Should Level 3 restrictions be maintained in Auckland, Te Aroha is being considered as a backup venue for the Derby.

Especially if they go to Hastings on Sunday for the Derby which now looks highly likely!!

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Lilt, what a lovely big girl she was.  Whenever they were at Trentham Ray used to mix up her feed and make sure he saved a handful for me  😄  odd child I was, only 6 or so at the time but I sure did love horse feed.

you ate horse feed, Show That Dances? LOL. No wonder you know so much.

MM

2 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

odd child I was, only 6 or so at the time but I sure did love horse feed.

Ha ha , Im not alone after all, when was your diagnosis ?. Mind you, if you were six ,Max was to young to bet etc, does that make me the oldest p--k on here. :classic_blink:. Oh, and has that plaque arrived yet Maria ?. Pete got his today.:classic_smile:

8 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Te Aroha track not up to standard - it will be Hastings if not headquarters

Max says if Derby Day is out cos of Covid, just run the Derby, King's Plate and Sunline Vase (ie the three black type races) on Cup Day instead  ..start an hour earlier, finish half an hour later.  East-peasy ... and I'll send the ARC an invoice from Mustelid Consultancy Services Unlimited accordingly.

Edited by Maximus

27 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Ha ha , Im not alone after all, when was your diagnosis ?. Mind you, if you were six ,Max was to young to bet etc, does that make me the oldest p--k on here. :classic_blink:. Oh, and has that plaque arrived yet Maria ?. Pete got his today.:classic_smile:

does that make me the oldest p--k on here.

yep

19 minutes ago, Blind Squirrel said:

Te Aroha track not up to standard - it will be Hastings if not headquarters

I take that back you appear to be correct.

Industry officials met this afternoon to discuss options for the running of the Vodafone Derby meeting programmed to take place at Ellerslie on Sunday, 7 March.

A conference call comprising New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR), the Auckland Racing Club (ARC), the New Zealand Trainers’ Association (NZTA), the Racing Integrity Unit (RIU) and TAB NZ agreed that Ellerslie on Sunday is still the preferred option.   However, should Auckland remain at COVID Alert Level 3 at that time, the alternative venue will be Hawke’s Bay and the Hastings racecourse.

“While we acknowledge that this is not going to please everyone, Hastings is the only viable option.  As the home of our spring triple crown it is a Group One venue and as such a fitting host for the Derby if alert levels do not change,” NZTR CEO Bernard Saundry said. 

“The Te Aroha track was inspected earlier today and, following recent racing and the fact the club was not expecting to race again until 21 March, it was not deemed suitable for this weekend.”

The situation with alert levels will continue to be monitored during the week and a final decision will be made following the Prime Minister’s Friday afternoon media conference.

“We understand that these are testing times for trainers and owners leading into a major race day and we will be ensuring we keep them well informed along the way,” ARC CEO Paul Wilcox said.

• Like 1

Could someone put Mr Wilcox in touch with the Mustelid...or at least advise him of the possibility of running the Derby and other black type races at HQ a week later ...if it upsets the plans of one or two runners/trainers/owners with Oz ambitions, tough!

Edited by Maximus

10 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Could someone put Mr Wilcox in touch with the Mustelid...or at least advise him of the possibility of running the Derby and other black type races at HQ a week later ...if it upsets the plans of one or two runners/trainers/owners with Oz ambitions, tough!

I'll go with that, just tying up loose ends Maxi

Hesi

Posted 1 hour ago · IP 

Why could they not run the Derby, along with several of the other feature races as a Super Raceday March 13 at Ellerslie, maybe 14-15 races.  

Okay, they are holding out for this Sunday, but surely that beats hair brained options like running the Derby at Te Rapa, Te Aroha or Hastings

3 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

How fast can you run a furlong?🤪

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

The-Legend-of-Big-Butt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I'll go with that, just tying up loose ends Maxi

Hesi

Posted 1 hour ago · IP 

Why could they not run the Derby, along with several of the other feature races as a Super Raceday March 13 at Ellerslie, maybe 14-15 races.  

Okay, they are holding out for this Sunday, but surely that beats hair brained options like running the Derby at Te Rapa, Te Aroha or Hastings

What happens if Auckland stays in Lockdown 3 for another week (as I strongly suspect it could- especially if another community case or 2 pop in which is totally in the realms of possibility).??