The Race Place

National Championships Super Comp Results Thread

PWJ

As an aside, it's not necessarily about Comp 'banter', though that can be fun ..Max enjoys reading (eg) Gazza's info about what the grandies are up to on any given Saturday or Akela Belle's chances in a race; or how cold/stressful/busy it is down in the 'Naki for poor Heather...

I guess another solution is for team members to PM their captain with their picks when they post 'em.

MM  

16 hours ago, Maximus said:

I guess another solution is for team members to PM their captain with their picks when they post 'em.

MM  

Max, this is exactly what the Ferdies have done. We create a team PM and as well as posting on the selection  thread, each player cuts and pastes to the team PM

21 hours ago, Maximus said:

The solution for Max is for PJ to PM the team and H2H match-ups prior to the start of R1 ..(eg last Saturday, KKs v Steelers 5 x matches

Max I’m probably being a bit thick but I don’t understand what you are asking for. The team and H-T-H matchups are published the previous Saturday after the results. They are published again on Wednesday when the selection thread is posted hence I’m not sure what you mean 

21 hours ago, Maximus said:

20 hours ago, Hesi said:

Not withstanding the points made by SNM and Maxi, with the new format the good spirited banter is not able to start until the Results thread becomes active, so there is a whole morning of 'quiet', which I think takes away from the comp

Alan, the usual morning banter is generally not specific to people’s particular selections and more about personal activities and the odd tip. There is no reason why that still can’t happen (say on the results thread). At least one half of contestants never post anything more than their selections and a pleasant comment. The comments of the regular “banter posters” could easily be read in the 10 minutes prior to race 1. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Say No More said:

I think what he was asking for Peter, was for you to summarise and PM him the picks for the 10 competitors in the Kats match , so that he didn't have to open 10 (or 9) different posts to update his spreadsheet. 

And before race 1 if you please 🙂

If that’s the correct interpretation then 10 minutes is plenty of time to open nine selection posts and even transcribe them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Alan, the usual morning banter is generally not specific to people’s particular selections and more about personal activities and the odd tip. There is no reason why that still can’t happen (say on the results thread). At least one half of contestants never post anything more than their selections and a pleasant comment. The comments of the regular “banter posters” could easily be read in the 10 minutes prior to race 1. 

I disagree, but then you do all the work PJ, so I'll slink off and cry in my beer:classic_smile:

It's a bit like turning up to a big rugby match 2 minutes before kick off, vs being there an hour before hand for all the build up and atmosphere

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I disagree, but then you do all the work PJ, so I'll slink off and cry in my beer:classic_smile:

It's a bit like turning up to a big rugby match 2 minutes before kick off, vs being there an hour before hand for all the build up and atmosphere

I honestly think you are overstating the banter. Most people post and come back when PJ starts posting his commentaries and the results.

I'm certainly not going to do this but I think you'd be surprised at an analysis of banter when people are posting their selections.

Just my 2 cents worth. I've been known to be wrong - just not often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PWJ said:

simple answer maybe - have a results thread from PJ and another thread called 'taking the peace' for those that want 'banter'

maybe not everyone wants to read the banter and maybe some don't want to read the results thread (like those Kats last week 😁)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Don't bring me into this - I have had nothing to do with this conversation. Besides the only time I was there an hour early was when I was at college and the girl across the road invited me over because her parents were going out 😆

You can't leave it there VS...do continue

• Haha 1

Max just wants to see all the selections on one thread, if at all possible, rather than opening 'em one at a time. No big drama.

As an aside, Max is delighted to see that SNM has finally found his (sarcastic) voice again - after just a few days in  Shellshock Rehab, if you please!

MM

Now people play nicely.....

I will adjust the closing time for the comp from this week onwards to allow more time for people to view selections however my worry is that the earlier we close the Comp the more late posters we will have. To counter this I will introduce a new rule - if any selections are posted after closing time they will not be eligible for Best Bets. This should induce earlier posting and also save Captains a little time and work trying to work out best bet races after having created substitute selections. This won’t apply to scratching subs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Now people play nicely.....

I will adjust the closing time for the comp from this week onwards to allow more time for people to view selections however my worry is that the earlier we close the Comp the more late posters we will have. To counter this I will introduce a new rule - if any selections are posted after closing time they will not be eligible for Best Bets. This should induce earlier posting and also save Captains a little time and work trying to work out best bet races after having created substitute selections. This won’t apply to scratching subs

One week in and you're already having to pander to people.

Which is more important? That a handful of people have ample time to view all the selections before start time or that all participants get a reasonable deadline to post their selections? The answer seems pretty straight forward to me. I don't get that people need more time to view selections. Our selections don't evaporate after the first race. 

This is a 7 week competition with a new concept in place. Why not let it run its course and then review it at the end rather than introducing new rules each week to keep one or two happy. 

As if you don't have enough on your plate already P.J. 

cheers
Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Taniwha99 said:

Slight adjustment required ..... PJ

3. Trentham R6 - 3.05pm - NZ Bloodstock Desert Gold Stks (Gr3) - $70k, 1600m, 3yo fillies SWs

4. Trentham R5 - 3.40pm - Harcourts Thorndon Mile (Gr1) - $200k, 1600m, open SW+Ps

Thanks Jack. I will get Pete to fix it when he is able. Appreciate the heads-up. You were too good for me last week. Good luck for the rest of the comp.

• Like 1

Round 2 - Saturday Jan 30

Race 1 - Trentham R2

1st - 9 Bold Iris W-$21.70 

2nd - 2 Klaasen Q-$58.20  

Scr: 3,10

2 CHIEFS (2nd) 434.00

0 HURRICANES (3rd) 0.00

Gee and Punter Pete unearth the Hawkes' Bay upsetter in the first to give the Waikato crowd a nice lead as the 'Canes draw a blank.

0.00 Jack 

0.00 John

0.00 Stevie N

0.00 Hesi

217.00 Gee

0.00 Virgil

217.00 Punter Pete 

0.00 The Crucible

0.00 Ian 

0.00 Porky

0 FERDIES (8th) 0.00

1 STEELERS (1st) 333.40

The Ferdies all miss as Rees bags a bonzer quinella to give the Steelers the early advantage.

0.00 PJ

0.00 Baby

0.00 Zac

0.00 Craig

0.00 Maurice 

0.00 Richie

0.00 Heather

333.40 Rees

0.00 Maria

0.00 Von Smallhausen

0 TURBOS (4th) 217.00

0 CRUSADERS (5th) 217.00

Opponents Ray and Rob each find the Hemi roughie in the first. All square.

217.00 Ray 

217.00 Rob

0.00 Gary

0.00 Tom

0.00 Steve P

0.00 Robert

0.00 Blind Squirrel

0.00 Wrinkles

0.00 Ziggy

0.00 Rex

0 BLUES (7th) 0.00

0 KAURI KATS (6th) 0.00

Zilch, nada, nothing.......

0.00 Gordy

0.00 Max

0.00 Howie

0.00 Sharne

0.00 Pete 

0.00 Pam

0.00 Geoff

0.00 Graeme

0.00 Roland

0.00 Jen

Today's postings were a disaster. At one stage I had 10 tabs open trying to fix mistakes for people who can't follow instructions despite 90% being able to. I nearly closed the PC and walked away.

In future it will be up to Captains to replace scratchings. I will not try and help them by advising of scratchings, postings on wrong threads and so on. The comp will close 15 minutes before race 1 when the thread will be unlocked. This will give Captains 10 minutes to fix any issues. 5 minutes before race one I will close off the comp. Nothing will be accepted after that. I will post that it is closed. I strongly urge Captains to have their team mates send them their selections in a PM. 

Also DO NOT EDIT POSTS - for the 10th time I'm saying this ! If you have alterations, scratching replacements, then post them in a NEW POST.

• Like 1