The Race Place

Americas Cup

ngakonui grass

I prefer the old mono hulls, but with the new graphics.  It was more of a tactical contest, a strategy of trying to throw foul air over your opponent, covering your opponent etc etc.

Now, one team makes a mistake, one team gets a favourable wind and it is all over.  Once you have seen and marveled at the boat speed spectacle, then it  becomes boring.  Have we yet to see a close race, where a team wins by 10-15 seconds.

The T20 of yachting

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just about all last nights news was about the Americas cup, when a bet more than 50 percent of the population couldn’t give a toss about it.

I watched all the races but didn’t watch all the pre race or after race fluff. Rod Stewart singing Sailing didn’t appeal to me at all.

26 minutes ago, Gordy said:

Just about all last nights news was about the Americas cup, when a bet more than 50 percent of the population couldn’t give a toss about it.

I watched all the races but didn’t watch all the pre race or after race fluff. Rod Stewart singing Sailing didn’t appeal to me at all.

Probably closer to 95% Gordy

The TV gurus did a good job of trying to drum up the nationalism, with the spin and narrow angle camera shots to on cue applause 

You may have noted the majority of spectator crafts were in the 50 ft excess length, and designer fashion labels the norm

• Like 3

I must have been the only one who:

A} Enjoyed coverage

B} Was cheering us (Team NZ} on

Most of my work mates watched it ,My Wife  & Mother watched every race which is more than myself & remember I'm along way away in Dunedin (near by bottom of Otago Peninsula)

Obviously you North Islanders just have more important things to do!

9 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

I must have been the only one who:

A} Enjoyed coverage

B} Was cheering us (Team NZ} on

Most of my work mates watched it ,My Wife  & Mother watched every race which is more than myself & remember I'm along way away in Dunedin (near by bottom of Otago Peninsula)

Obviously you North Islanders just have more important things to do!

You're not alone Craig 🙂 

• Like 1

Max can honestly say that he had the pleasure of watching the last race from a spectator boat anchored in line with the Finish. When Te Rehutai sailed across that line to win the race that won the Cup, the closest living person (of pop 8 billion) to that awesome vessel and its crew was ...the Mustelid!! A story to tell the grandies one day.

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I don't follow the politics too closely, but why, after all the money that was spent by the NZ Government and Auckland Council, is Dalton allowed to take the next event offshore.  Surely it should have been a proviso of this money being allocated in the first place, that the following event must be held in NZ

• Like 2