The Race Place

Things Melbourne Cup

mardigras

4 hours ago, mardigras said:

Might be wrong but I think track will get an upgrade at some stage. Get to a 5 by cup, maybe even a 4???

Spot on!. I think Vow And Declare was a good ride, and lucky that Frankie is a larrikin. MOR maybe should have won, but he is a loose cannon sometimes.

• Like 1

Hard to believe Prince of Arran nearly didn’t make the field after running 3rd in the race last year, a horse like Neufbosc was the first horse I scratched when the field was released,  it took its place in the field in front of a horse like True Self who almost defeated Prince of Arran in the Geelong Cup

There could have been plenty of debate had Prince of Arran won the cup considering Walker hit him with the stick 7 times more than you’re allowed 

The race was run at a farcical speed I should have been laying Finche in the running Harry Hindsight 🤔

Anywho The way the race was run I thought  Surprise Baby and Mer De Glace were very good runs

Brilliant ride from Williams 

Actually the “A” grade form from the UK stood up Master of Reality 3rd to Stradivarius a nose away from Dee Ex Bee and II Paradiso 3rd to Stradivarius a nose away from Dee Ex Bee

Outside of Stradivarius Up and coming Logician and Kew Gardens De Ex Bee would have been my top pick once again Harry Hindsight to the rescue 

One TAB punter had 100/900 on Vow and Declare to win the cup at 200-1 after it won in Brisbane always great when something like this comes to fruition 

Finally well done Hesi you labeled Vow and Declare always great to back the winner

Edited by VC!
  • Like 2

Yes, good work Hesi on picking the winner. Mardi, you get an orange flag cos in the lead up you named 10 of the 24 and only one of them paid a divvie LOL ..at least it was a winning dividend!

I have just seen the replay of the Cup on a big screen and suggest that:

• all power to the winner who won cos of the ride, not because it's the best true stayer
  • Dettori should be very cross with himself, not just for the careless riding but because he went way too early on MoR down that long straight. 
  • the best run in the race was Surprise Baby, who probably would've caned them if it had been a truer tempo and Childs hadn't covered so much ground.
  • Both the Derby and Cup winner by same stallion (Declaration of War). bet that hasn't been done since forever, mebbe Night Raid or something of that era
    On the strength of that alone, I've got a few bob on #9 Amazing Peace in the Oaks at $31, good form from Newcastle!) but anything can happen over 2400m with these young girls and she's a winner over 2350m!!

The connections of Vow and Declare were pretty convinced of his staying qualities, therefore in a slow pace race, does that not make his win even more meritorious.  If he is a stayer  of some note, then you could argue that he may have won by more in a truly run race.

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

Yes, good work Hesi on picking the winner. Mardi, you get an orange flag cos in the lead up you named 10 of the 24 and only one of them paid a divvie LOL ..at least it was a winning dividend!

That's ok as I did say it was the most even cup field I'd ever seen. I usually try to write off 10-12 as having no chance. This year I found it difficult to get to 4.

I think Cross Counter wins with a better run and a truer pace myself.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hesi said:

The connections of Vow and Declare were pretty convinced of his staying qualities, therefore in a slow pace race, does that not make his win even more meritorious.  If he is a stayer  of some note, then you could argue that he may have won by more in a truly run race.

Here's the counter (Cross Counter??). Truer pace = bigger gaps open up in transit, more room for horses to make their runs; note they weren't strung out like Brown's cows at the finish, except for poor Rostropovich. I'm not saying V&D isn't a good stayer - he certainly  showed great will to win - but I think both Il Paradiso, Surprise Baby and a couple of others would have got to him if he hadn't been able to save ground  by getting to the fence so quickly, and he did it in his own good time off a 'muddling tempo' early (Matt Hill's words). Take a look at how quickly Surprise Baby was eating up the ground in the last 100m. Williams stole it.

Edited by Maximus

II Paradiso will remain in Australia and be trained by Chris Waller for a crack at the 2020 Melbourne Cup

Yes Yes Yes will be taken to Ascot for the summer carnival Ryan Moore Speaking to Tom Magnier said you have to bring Yes Yes Yes to Ascot surely Bossy keeps the ride

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, VC! said:

II Paradiso will remain in Australia and be trained by Chris Waller for a crack at the 2020 Melbourne Cup

Yes Yes Yes will be taken to Ascot for the summer carnival Ryan Moore Speaking to Tom Magnier said you have to bring Yes Yes Yes to Ascot surely Bossy keeps the ride

I like the profile of Il Paradiso more than I did Finche. Will be interesting to see how he goes leading up.

15 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I like the profile of Il Paradiso more than I did Finche. Will be interesting to see how he goes leading up.

100% agree Mardi

I was actually trying to place Finche, I’m thinking the Sydney Cup in the Autumn could be his go 

2 minutes ago, VC! said:

100% agree Mardi

I was actually trying to place Finche, I’m thinking the Sydney Cup in the Autumn could be his go 

For sure. He is likely a class above them in that race as it generally attracts a lower level of horse. His overall ability would make it hard for the rest. He didn't run bad in the Cup. The way he races, it was probably run too slow for him also. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Midnight Caller said:

Agree VC, Maybe with a wetter track in the autumn. Anyone else notice how this fella throws his near side front?A bit like that Vanessa May's arm playing the fiddle!🎻

He certainly has an extravagant action MC I’ll have a look out for that next time he runs I think they were playing the violin for me about 300 out last Tuesday