The Race Place

Things Melbourne Cup

mardigras

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

Pretty much as expected. Dee Ex Bee under-rated. Bring him to the cup!

I was thinking the same thing, he’s beaten Cross Counter home twice now in his last two starts I guess Master of Reality must be a serious contender also taking a form line through the AGC

Torcedor, considered a chance to come to Melbourne to race in the cup, ran in the Listed Hoppegartener Steherpreis overnight. Went off at evens but finished 5th beaten around 10 lengths. Not sure what they will make of that.

https://www.german-racing.com/gr/renntage/rennen.php?id=1310350&d=20190810&s=S

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2

Interesting horse was added to betfair cup market during the week. Stivers. A horse now with Dermot Weld, this horse has done its racing predominantly in Argentina. Actually, wasn't far off seeing it race myself as it raced at Palermo just after I went there. 

Is nominated to race in a low grade affair at Gowran Park midweek. Has qualified for the cup, not sure what weight it would be given. Small bets been taken at 250s on betfair.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 7:53 AM, mardigras said:

Torcedor, considered a chance to come to Melbourne to race in the cup, ran in the Listed Hoppegartener Steherpreis overnight. Went off at evens but finished 5th beaten around 10 lengths. Not sure what they will make of that.

https://www.german-racing.com/gr/renntage/rennen.php?id=1310350&d=20190810&s=S

Jamie Lovett has been upbeat about this performance the other night. Whether that is just a façade or not, don't know. But suggesting things like being off the scene for 12 months etc, is not really a generally accepted excuse in Europe. It's how they run. Let's not forget this was a basic Listed race. 

As we know form is not necessarily that important. But for me, I don't think the horse is a good traveller. I've thought that for 18+ months. So if he comes to Australia, he wouldn't get my money. They are still backing him at what I'd call paltry odds around 32-34s. He's a horse that win wise, has only won 2 G3s.

• Like 2

Count Octave trialled yesterday heat 1 at Randwick jumped slowly and gradually lost ground in his heat to finish about 6 lengths behind the second last horse

Finche jumped well settled one out one back was only put under slight pressure trialled satisfactorily for this stage of his prep did finish last in his heat this was heat 2 which was won by the filly Libertini I have taken Libertini in the Flight Stakes at 8s through many doubles she is being set for the princess series and will be winning first up, she is in for one massive spring

Edited by VC!
  • Like 1

As mentioned, Stivers was entered for a race at Gowran Park. That happens tonight. He is racing at 5.20am local time. Currently available at 25s on bf. Has still continued to attract some money in the Melbourne Cup market. More than double what I put up earlier bet on him to win, mostly at lower odds closer to 80s. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mardigras said:

As mentioned, Stivers was entered for a race at Gowran Park. That happens tonight. He is racing at 5.20am local time. Currently available at 25s on bf. Has still continued to attract some money in the Melbourne Cup market. More than double what I put up earlier bet on him to win, mostly at lower odds closer to 80s. Stay tuned.

Took him out I see.

On 8/13/2019 at 6:32 AM, mardigras said:

They are still backing him at what I'd call paltry odds around 32-34s. He's a horse that win wise, has only won 2 G3s.

They love a good melbourne cup talking horse over there dont they.

From looking at various interviews it seems Jamie Lovett has never touched anything less than G1 quality!

• Like 1

Some potential cup noms starting to reappear on the track in Aus/NZ. With the likes of Neufbosc, Duretto and Kenedna accepted for Caulfield, Etymology accepted for Randwick Kensington track, and Glory Days accepted for Otaki.

But before all that happens, we have the Aidan O'Brien and Joseph O'Brien show happening at the Curragh. A small field of 6 scheduled to line up in the 18.15 including Master Of Reality, Southern France, Downdraft and Capri.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards/2019-08-16/curragh/racecard/538879/comer-group-international-irish-st-leger-trial-stakes-group-3

19 hours ago, mardigras said:

Some potential cup noms starting to reappear on the track in Aus/NZ. With the likes of Neufbosc, Duretto and Kenedna accepted for Caulfield, Etymology accepted for Randwick Kensington track, and Glory Days accepted for Otaki.

But before all that happens, we have the Aidan O'Brien and Joseph O'Brien show happening at the Curragh. A small field of 6 scheduled to line up in the 18.15 including Master Of Reality, Southern France, Downdraft and Capri.

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards/2019-08-16/curragh/racecard/538879/comer-group-international-irish-st-leger-trial-stakes-group-3

Southern France defeats Downdraft. Downdraft is oz owned so I expect they will bring him down. May even get enough weight. Southern France - could he come too?

Edited by mardigras

14 minutes ago, mardigras said:

Southern France defeats Downdraft. Downdraft is oz owned so I expect they will bring him down. May even get enough weight. Southern France - could he come too?

Even though highly unlikely to head to Oz (Derby winner and 5th last year in the arc), Capri was as good as anything in that race imo. My view of Master Of Reality is that he looks very one paced and not sure he has the turn of foot for down here, although a part of that is the way UK stayers events are run. Time will tell.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:34 AM, mardigras said:

Tonight we head to York for the opening day of the York/Ebor festival. Day 1 has the Voltigeur Stakes - a race that Cross Counter ran second in last year. And also the Juddmonte. Saturday is Ebor day!

A couple of good wins this morning. Logician remained unbeaten winning the Voltigeur. I wouldn't expect to see him head down under. And Japan beats Crystal Ocean in a minor upset. And he too is not likely to be seen anywhere near Oz. The Arc may be his go.