The Race Place

AND WHEN IS ENOUGH ENOUGH FOR SMEDLEY?

Maximus

Among the acceptors for Ellerslie this Saturday ...last week's 'uncompetitive' warning from the Stewards has either gone unheeded or the horse simply cant wait to get out there and do his thang!

Poor Smedley doesnt even get two weeks between races o his home track (there's an Ope Hcp and/or  a R65 2100 on 14/9 for him, ut no...let's got to Ellerslie and back up!!

12 7X900 Smedley (8) Clayton Stevenson Masa Hashizume (4) 54 (R56) C(52-5-9) Dst(40-6-6) Winner of 10 races but is struggling to recapture best form.

• Sad 1

It's all pretty lose really, no guidelines as to what is defined as 'uncompetitive, perhaps they need these

SMEDLEY (D Danis) – Trainer C Stevenson was advised that a warning would be placed against the gelding and would be expected to be more competitive.

Nothing of help in the Rules of Racing either

HORSE WELFARE [Amended 1 August 2017]

650 (1) The Trainer or any other person in charge of a horse that is to be brought to the Racecourse or is at the Racecourse to start in a Race must:

(a) ensure that such horse is fit and properly conditioned for the Race in which it is entered;

I mean to say, how many 90% fit horses have been presented on race day

i am not criticising the fitness of the horse. He simply isn't racing in a competitive fashion.To put it more simply he cant go fast enough any more. 
I haven't checked the entire record precisely but I'd say he has won nothing and been placed in the first 3 only once in the last two seasons; from memory last win (of 10) was the
ITM Whangarei Gold Cup July 2017 ...

oh, blast it. here's the stats ..ie 1 x 3rd and 4 x 5th in 26 starts prior to last weekend when he finished last. He has finished last in 6 of his last 9 starts to C. Stevenson , incl 5 of his last 6 .....there's a message here somewhere ...

2018/19 10 0 0 1 0 1 8 $3,325.00
2017/18 16 0 0 0 0 3 13 $7,470.00

1 hour ago, Maximus said:

i am not criticising the fitness of the horse. He simply isn't racing in a competitive fashion.To put it more simply he cant go fast enough any more. 
I haven't checked the entire record precisely but I'd say he has won nothing and been placed in the first 3 only once in the last two seasons; from memory last win (of 10) was the
ITM Whangarei Gold Cup July 2017 ...

oh, blast it. here's the stats ..ie 1 x 3rd and 4 x 5th in 26 starts prior to last weekend when he finished last. He has finished last in 6 of his last 9 starts to C. Stevenson , incl 5 of his last 6 .....there's a message here somewhere ...

2018/19 10 0 0 1 0 1 8 $3,325.00
2017/18 16 0 0 0 0 3 13 $7,470.00

Yep, just couldn't see anything within the Rules of Racing, about a horse's competitiveness, or anything defining that

On 9/7/2019 at 7:28 PM, Hesi said:

You would have to say that Smedley was competitive today

Beat home 3 far more fancied runners

Yes, if you call finishing 7th, 11L from the winner, competitive - in rating 72 grade

in his 29 starts since wining at Ruakaka in July 2017, Smedley has paid a dividend once - when 3rd of 11 at Ruakaka in Sept 2018. 

• 1 month later...

From today's Stipes Report ex Avondale where poor Smedley went around AGAIN in a middle distance race.

HORSE ACTION

SMEDLEY Required to barrier trial to satisfaction of Stewards prior to racing again

Mebbe now the connections will get the message. In case they haven't twigged, here's a clue:

in 6 starts this campaign, Smedley has finished last 4 times (incl today and his best placing has been 7th of 10.

• Like 1