The Race Place

Caulfield Cup/Melbourne Cup 2021

mardigras

2 minutes ago, Globederby19 said:

Yeah, I know speed kills and makes quick money.

It's the reason the 2nd rate NH horses can win the biggest staying races. They still breed for long distance horses and demonstrate patience with them. Oz doesn't, and NZ is following the Oz path.

Oz racing is largely shit now because most meetings are full of 800 - 1300m races which are boring (well they are to me  anyway).

So years of a race building up - and then the breeding industry decide, not anymore. We'll breed solely for speed, solely for early runners. And the programming follows suit as it is a supply/demand situation and there is no demand for staying races. It's a perpetual situation, only going to get worse.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Max is an advocate for a new prestigious stayers race - hcp conditions - for Oz/Kiwi-breds only. Perhaps call it the Australasian Breeders (Cup or woteva) or ANZAC Cup.  Could it be races during the Championships or better as a Spring/Summer feature? You could even have a qualifying series a la Dunstan, maybe even have the Dunstan Final winner/placegetters getting automatic entries into the Oz race...

MM

I thought we had that with the Dunstan here - and the quality is crap. Because of the way things are, it would take 15 to 20 years to bring on the breed to have even half decent horses in it. Can they sustain that?

10 hours ago, Maximus said:

Max is an advocate for a new prestigious stayers race - hcp conditions - for Oz/Kiwi-breds only. Perhaps call it the Australasian Breeders (Cup or woteva) or ANZAC Cup.  Could it be races during the Championships or better as a Spring/Summer feature? You could even have a qualifying series a la Dunstan, maybe even have the Dunstan Final winner/placegetters getting automatic entries into the Oz race...

MM

I don't get this defensive attitude - horse racing is now global.

At Longchamp on Sunday, a Japanese horse won the Foy making every yard and beating three European Group 1 winners.

Who cares if a Northern Hemisphere horse comes over and wins the Melbourne Cup? If he or she is a great horse, so be it.

I don't know why the top Australian horses don't come to Ascot - well, I do, it's winter for you and the prize money's crap. It's your good fortune you have the money to attract the good horses (just like Hong Kong and Meydan). I'd have loved to have seen WINX and LYS GRACIEUX in Britain or even Meydan but there you go.

We also have increasing numbers of shuttle stallions so quality breeding is also becoming global.

• Like 3

As indicated, Sonnyboyliston not coming over as he heads to the paddock.

Master Of Reality not coming either. 

Question marks will exist over Rodrigo Diaz and Sir Lucan as they are 8 points below benchmark weight so will be quite low on order of entry. Can only make the cup by attrition, as they are ineligible to have any lead up races to the cup in Oz should they come over.

That leaves Spanish Mission, Away He Goes and Twilight Payment as internationally trained likely runners.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mardigras said:

As indicated, Sonnyboyliston not coming over as he heads to the paddock.

Master Of Reality not coming either. 

Question marks will exist over Rodrigo Diaz and Sir Lucan as they are 8 points below benchmark weight so will be quite low on order of entry. Can only make the cup by attrition, as they are ineligible to have any lead up races to the cup in Oz should they come over.

That leaves Spanish Mission, Away He Goes and Twilight Payment as internationally trained likely runners.

Hard to ague with that. TWILIGHT PAYMENT will presumably have more weight than last year. SPANISH MISSION is interesting - you could argue on his run against STRADIVARIUS at York he'd be right in this but I'm not sure he would have the speed when they quicken off the home turn at Flemington.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stodge said:

News this afternoon SPANISH MISSION missed the first flight of European runners owing to muscle spasms.

Expected to be on the second flight but that means no prep race before the Cup apparently.

Yes, no other race allowed. And might even be questionable as to coming at all.

Cox Plate fav lines up today in what is a very small field for a G1 by oz standards. The Chosen One looks to be having another good prep in readiness for the big spring targets.

Some great racing tomorrow.

Verry Elleegant v Incentivise (Colette with a foot abscess so be interesting to see if she starts).

And all the rage Sheraz for the Bart Cummings. If he wins, I'll follow that up with a Shiraz. Gut feel (as I have no decent info), is he won't deliver but happy to be proven wrong.

As for the Metrop, last year's winner out with a slight temperature. Love to see Entente win.

And I'm on Long Arm in the Bart Cummings.

• Like 1

Loved the racing today. Incentivise is showing he isn't a no-hoper.  He would be the shortest price I can recall to win a Caulfield Cup since I can recall. $2.60 on NZ TAB. I just talk a small bet at 2.34!! on betfair. WTF.

Sheraz had a few too many Shiraz last night. Backed into fav - a bridge too far. Never seemed to be travelling well to me.

Just now, Hesi said:

Even the hotshots get beat, look at today, Verry Elleegant couldn't run a place on a favoured rain affected footing

The track wasn't really rain affected. Looking at the times, it was a very decent track. Incentivise ran the fastest Turnbull since Hartnell - if that was a Soft 5, he is as good they they think. Equally Grand Promenade ran very quickly. I'd suggest the track was close to perfect.

1 minute ago, mardigras said:

The track wasn't really rain affected. Looking at the times, it was a very decent track. Incentivise ran the fastest Turnbull since Hartnell - if that was a Soft 5, he is as good they they think. Equally Grand Promenade ran very quickly. I'd suggest the track was close to perfect.

Trap for young players

14 minutes ago, brown fox said:

I'll be interested to see what Veery Eleegants connections have to say about today's run.

“Slightly disappointing on face value,” jockey Damian Lane after his first sit on Verry Elleegant.

“She travelled sweetly in the run and presented well … she didn’t quicken as good as she can.”

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

@VC!Sadly, DW has gone for a spell.

Trials were good included a win over the Metropolitan winner, Raceday’s were poor, paddock beckoned 

They are predicting a fair bit of rain in the coming weeks, months 

I like the progress of Explosive Jack so far, the game of chess continues 😎 ️ 

Well, if you thought Incentivise was value before the final field and barrier draw of the Caulfield Cup, then you'd likely be in raptures now.

Bet for thousands at $2 or a little more when one of the fancied runners was in the 'field', now available at $2.80 without that runner. 

If you didn't think he was value at the old $2 price - then you were one of the few, given 60% of the antepost market was bet on him.

I myself prefer the old wannabe from a year or so ago - Master Of Wine @ 42s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maximus said:

as for Floating  Sunken Artist ...just another over-rated over-hyped import ...

When most of the horses running in the top end staying races are imports, you're going to have some fail. The Caulfield Cup is a rarity with only a handful of imports this year.

And it is a pretty piss poor field imo. I don't recall a horse rated 88 making the field with another as an emergency. Looks a bit like a Metrop field of horses trying to get into the cups. If it wasn't for the hype about Incentivise, it would be a shocker.