The Race Place

Audio Quiz Racing and Music

Hesi

39 minutes ago, Hesi said:

I haven't checked, but Oopik, that great horse, when we used to have heaps of great horses in NZ, trained by D J O'Sullivan, never raced in or won a race called the Herbie Dyke Stakes

Okaaaaay, I'm going to step in here and settle the confusion because this is my area of expertise. The Gr1 race which is officially known as the Waikato  RC Herbie Dyke Stakes has had a number of name changes over the years including the Cambridge Stud International Stakes and also the Whakanui Stud International Stakes.

It was first run in 1970 when it was named the New Zealand International Stakes and was won by Far Time. Oopik won the 1976 edition. At the time it was considered by the authorities to be a "Principal Race" as this was prior to the introduction of the Pattern Race System in NZ. Oopik's win has been retrospectively Graded as a Group 2 victory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pete said:

Hesi can you show a summary of the one's left please. I can't be arsed flipping through all the answers.

Cant Be Bothered GIF by SAG Awards

All done your holiness

You have a thousand times the musical ear that I have.  A side wager for $20 win bet, that you can't get another 6 or more of the musical questions??

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Okaaaaay, I'm going to step in here and settle the confusion because this is my area of expertise. The Gr1 race which is officially known as the Waikato  RC Herbie Dyke Stakes has had a number of name changes over the years including the Cambridge Stud International Stakes and also the Whakanui Stud International Stakes.

It was first run in 1970 when it was named the New Zealand International Stakes and was won by Far Time. Oopik won the 1976 edition. At the time it was considered by the authorities to be a "Principal Race" as this was prior to the introduction of the Pattern Race System in NZ. Oopik's win has been retrospectively Graded as a Group 2 victory.

No prizes for what the next name might be lol

9 minutes ago, Hesi said:

All done your holiness

You have a thousand times the musical ear that I have.  A side wager for $20 win bet, that you can't get another 6 or more of the musical questions??

You win. None of them were familiar to me at all.

36 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Is my memory going on me or did Lestor Piggott ride in the race?

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

I haven't checked, but Oopik, that great horse, when we used to have heaps of great horses in NZ, trained by D J O'Sullivan, never raced in or won a race called the Herbie Dyke Stakes

Maxi said, and I quoth him prethithely, adding emphasis here to show you the error of your wayward ways:

International Stakes, now Herbie Dyke Stakes (Oopik)

Edited by Maximus