The Race Place

Melbourne Cup Trivia Quiz

Hesi

Slightly off topic but that quote about Ming Dynasty being everyone's favourite grey is disputable (Gunsynd anyone?)

What's indisputable is our love for grey horses. I was wondering why everyone thinks that is. Is it merely a point of difference that attracts us to them?

• Like 1

Let's try a few more, easy one to start

17.  How many NZ horses have been horse of the year in Aus, names?

18.  This horse was second at 3 years in  Caulfield Cup, and at 3 ran in what looks like a roll of honour of Aus races, yet never ran in a MC.  Staying blood everywhere, by a well known NZ based sire, out of a Sovereign Edition mare, the dam being by Le Filou.  This horse eventually went on to stand at stud in NZ, but produced no stakes winners

17..Sunline                         2001/02

..Sunline                            2000/01

..Sunline                         1999/2000

Might and Power             1998/99

Might and Power            1997/98                               

Octagonal                    1995/96 

Veandarcross              1992/93

Lets Elope                      1991/92

Beau  Zam                    1987/88

Bonecrusher                 1986/87

Red Anchor                    1984/85

Gurners Lane               1982/83

Hyperno                        1980/81

Surround                       1976/77

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

18.  This horse was second at 3 years in  Caulfield Cup, and at 3 ran in what looks like a roll of honour of Aus races, yet never ran in a MC.  Staying blood everywhere, by a well known NZ based sire, out of a Sovereign Edition mare, the dam being by Le Filou.  This horse eventually went on to stand at stud in NZ, but produced no stakes winners

Beau Zam by Zamazaan out of Belle Cherie by Sovereign Edition out of Mia Bella by Le Filou. Stood at stud in Japan before returning to NZ in 1996. Died 2000.

39 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Okay try this one -

I won 10 of my 32 starts, breaking my maiden on debut at Otaki as a 4yo ! My biggest win came at Newcastle but I was placed in a Melbourne Cup ridden by a chap who started his apprenticeship at Awapuni and later was aboard an all-time Champion horse when it scored it's very first win. My sire was an English-bred but stood at a myriad of locations from ireland to the Manawatu, 3 places in the Hunter Valley (Scone, Aberdeen & Jerry's Plains) and later Japan. Who am I ?

That would be Oompala

4 hours ago, Hesi said:

I'll  add a bit of a fun one to that, you might have to think a bit more laterally  for this one

20.  Name 5 things associated with the MC, that are associated with the marine environment 

1 Water (Flemington roses would die without it)

2 The MC cruises.

3 1906 winner Poseidon

4 1927 winner Trivalve

someone else can come up with #5