The Race Place

Melbourne Cup Trivia Quiz

Hesi

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

Allow me a small modicum of self indulgence

As predicted, I see dot dot dot is back, and no, that is not Morse code for help😴

a small modicum (which in itself is a bit tautologous, a la  'wet water' or 'sweet sugar') should not go on for months. Just saying.

1 hour ago, PWJ said:

Actually on checking I believe they were the only two to achieve that feat. Happy to entertain suggestions of any others

You may be right Peter. However an authority on these matters on another site suggests that Spearfelt which won the Melbourne Cup in 1926 was leading sire in 1942-43 ?

That concurs with my checking and would make him the last to do that double.

51 minutes ago, PWJ said:

Thanks Curious. Like I said, I'm happy to entertain other suggestions because I hadn't done an exhaustive research and yes Spearfelt achieved this feat. I will have to bow to an "authority". Maybe I will aspire to be one someday myself. Tell me who is this "authority" ? Peter Pring ? Les Bridge ? 

Gee this must give someone a big thrill. (shakes head)

The authority referred to was Costa Rolfe

Source: Winners Of The Melbourne Cup by Costa Rolfe (Foreword by Bart Cummings)

Quote: Page 148 " Spearfelt's reputation as a "ladies-man" would only be furthered upon retirement, a highly prolific stud career seeing the stallion named Australia's leading sire in 1943.

Just remember everyone, these quizzes, like the comps and punters clubs on TRP that people offer to run, are for a bit of fun and the effort made and time put in by those that run them, appreciated by the people who enter them

From time to time somebody makes a mistake, even the mischievous All The Aces is not impervious.  

So what, nobody really cares, turn the page

We as a site are just trying to provide a good humoured platform for all things racing.

If people do not respect this, then things can very quickly degrade.  You may recall how fed up, so many people got with 2 people in particular's constant jibes on another site, that they chose to leave that site

My suggestion is definitely to keep this thread going but stop feeding this bloke's ego and don't look at his posts on BOAY.

He'll soon  get sick of his constant trolling if no one reacts to him.

And yes, the irony of me advising people to stay away from BOAY is not lost on me.

• Like 2

We will still leave an open invitation to anyone on BOAY to join here, no hard feelings

If you 

Get fed up with the negativity

Thomass and his endless crap

The lack of comps, we have about 4 with a 5th due to start.  Our great friend PJ runs his iconic Super Comp, and a bit of new blood is always welcome, but you would need to behave and respect others

The lack of a punters club, Jason does a great job here

Lack of any sort of quiz, we have several, even though we get the answers wrong sometimes

The lack of any sort of tips or race evaluations by some great and enthusiastic analysts

Think about it, stay in the negative pond, or come to a great place of fun and enjoyment and all things racing(and a bit of cricket and rugby and music)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Hesi unfeatured and unpinned this topic