The Race Place

Here's the radical idea.....any thoughts

Hesi

Racecafe is approached, to work together with The Race Place, this would take the form of putting up a link to The Race Place on their site, along with some form of announcement, my rationale follows

We are a small site, but have several unique features that other sites do not have, and are not easily set up, and are of interest to all followers of racing, namely

- PJ's comps

- Punting Perspective threads

- Punters Club

1.  PJ's comps.  Iconic to anyone who is familiar with them, but they need new blood to keep invigorated.  Clearly the theme of them being run in good spirit must always apply.  I'm sure there are a number of posters on RC who would like to participate, but feel uneasy because it is another channel.  I'm sure someone like Cubes would take the opportunity

2.  Punting Perspective threads.  These have been a great positive step, not only for people to put up their thoughts, but a chance for those that are successful at punting to communicate their thoughts.  The unwritten principle of participation not denigration must always apply.  Positive, congratulatory comments tell you how people perceive you, lack of them.....well draw your own conclusions.

We have seen what happens before when people start taking potshots at those prepared to put up selections pre-race.....it just becomes a shit fight that eventually turns people off

3.  Punters Club.  The infrastructure and format to easily run a club has been set up and run, but ideally need more members

What's in it for RC, may well be the question asked.  Posters there have access to the above 'racing' orientated topics

Some sort of open display of working together, may encourage people to drop their parochialism.

And I guess if it can be stitched together, the golden rule, then becomes no sniping from either camp

WTF, worth a shot, any thoughts

My thoughts:

1 Recipe for disaster. Haters wanna hate etc etc. The nay-sayers narcissists and know-it-alls will undermine TRP and undo all the good work you and Pete (and PJ) have done. not a good idea to risk losing control of TRP's successful formula.

2 If you must grow the site, look for new blood outside RC and BOAY. Form partnerships/alliances with race clubs, businesses, trainers, syndicates stud farms. Find out what they would find helpful from this platform.

MM

Edited by Maximus
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Maximus said:

My thoughts:

1 Recipe for disaster. Haters wanna hate etc etc. The nay-sayers narcissists and know-it-alls will undermine TRP and undo all the good work you and Pete (and PJ) have done. not a good idea to risk losing control of TRP's successful formula.

2 If you must grow the site, look for new blood outside RC and BOAY. Form partnerships/alliances with race clubs, businesses, trainers, syndicates stud farms. Find out what they would find helpful from this platform.

MM

I have to agree with you. There are only one or two posters I would welcome on this site and I did say to Hesi that I couldn't really visualize the owner of RC wanting to cooperate with anything we propose to him anyway.

• Like 2

There are maybe 20 good posters on RC, they are not the target.  The lunatic fringe(flat earthers) that seem to have take over certain areas are also not the target

There are maybe 20-30 who come out only for the comps, and maybe 10 who show an interest in the punting side/punters club

If we cannot get 6 teams for PJ's comp, then we are getting to a stage of them getting too small.  Also, as I have said, new people bring new character and style to the comps.

Interested in PJ's thoughts on this

It will only work if RC endorses it, for the sake of their members, as it is something they do not offer themselves.....and it is RACING based

Also the no sniping rule must apply

5 minutes ago, Hesi said:

There are maybe 20 good posters on RC, they are not the target.  The lunatic fringe(flat earthers) that seem to have take over certain areas are also not the target

There are maybe 20-30 who come out only for the comps, and maybe 10 who show an interest in the punting side/punters club

If we cannot get 6 teams for PJ's comp, then we are getting to a stage of them getting too small.  Also, as I have said, new people bring new character and style to the comps.

It will only work if RC endorses it, for the sake of their members, as it is something they do not offer themselves.....and it is RACING based

They won't endorse in Alan. I just don't see it happening.

I'm very happy for you to prove me wrong on this. I'm not sure how we even make an approach because we're both banned.

We are not going to make an approach, if we even make one at all, until it has had substantially more discussion here, including input from PJ.

There are people who post here, who still post on RC, that can copy and paste any proposal and PM it to Scooby

I don't think PJ would ever take his comps back to RC, could be wrong, which is why I would like input from him\

Also, some of the key contributors to the Punting Perspective threads, would never do so on RC, because of the likely denigration.  As we have seen, they are people who have collected and crunched the data, and could not be bothered with people who have not, criticising them

So remind me what's in it for Scooby-Doo? He will just see it as an attempt to steal some of his posters.

Look mate, it's admirable that you're attempting to try something new.

Maybe I'm just an old cynic but I just don't see it happening. Be similar to Judith Collins emailing The Dear Leader and asking her to promote the National Party.

• Like 1

One of the things I enjoy most on here is a rational and civilised exchange of views (in the most part). There are too many on RC who are just plain trolls or quite frankly have sh#t for brains - always like to moan without one positive way to fix what they are moaning about (or just reverting to the same old same old because that is their narrow view of the world)

I would see it as the death knell for this site in any deal with RC - my two cents.

• Like 5

By endorsing it, he is making it okay for posters to partake in something he can't offer himself

Maybe a bad idea, but RC has gone stale, not many posts on racing considering the size and number of claimed members.  A large monetary prize has to be offered to get the comp numbers up, and the lunatic non-racing fringe that think there is a conspiracy everywhere seem to dominate the postings

11 hours ago, Hesi said:

Not sure they would be very receptive to the idea in the first place. Can't see what's in it for them. If you could boost the comp participation it would be good. Just not sure how you do that. I'm trying to talk John & Co into coming back so we can have eight teams for the Spring comp 

If we all go out and attract one new person to RacePlace we could get comp numbers up with good people. . I'll work on one or two who might be good for the comps and giving some race tips etc. I for one dislike RC - what start as good conversations quickly deteriorate to bullshit. Havent visited for a long time now though

I have really enjoyed being part of each team I have been in over the years and the banter that is generated in the email chat area with those team members.  

I have a less busy life now I have recently started working at the District Council in Masterton so looking forward to more time to to study the fields. No trains or long commute days now which means a fresher and less tired old fella. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Further to this, if any of you know posters on the other 2 channels that may be interested in PJ's comps, or chatting about racing topics without fear of getting slagged off, then go for it .........please

We have our moments, but we are pretty good really and in the main, stick to the topic

It appears my idea is not going to fly, I can live with that lol

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with putting  your thoughts  out there Hesi!👏

Maxi and Gary's suggestions look good starting points. 

What's happened  to player 110 Rodders?Has he got stage fright?

Maybe you could give a push to the members who have joined but not contributed  much, just to get them involved  more. What about those BGP blokes? BGP and their members love talking racing.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PWJ said:

Not sure they would be very receptive to the idea in the first place. Can't see what's in it for them. If you could boost the comp participation it would be good. Just not sure how you do that. I'm trying to talk John & Co into coming back so we can have eight teams for the Spring comp 

Well if it was me, I would be saying to myself

- I can't provide a comp as good as PJ's, even when my buddy puts up mega dollar prizes

- My attempts at establishing a section on punting have not come off, because I can't control all the sideline snipers

- I don't have a punters club

So in deference to my loyal posters, I'm saying give it a go, but still, some overall loyalty please

bananas.jpg