The Race Place

Santa Monica

Maximus

What on earth is going on with the current Railway winner?

Rested from March after a busy spring/summer that included the Railway boilover (and subsequent jump in ratings).

Resumed in id August in the Foxbridge, (unplaced), on to the Tarzino (unplaced), so not suited by WFA in the Spring. Then to open Hcp at Ruakaka (lugging big weight and well beaten) and backs up in a Grp 1 yesterday.

so ...4 races in the space of 5 weeks. Curious to know why this very honest, talented 1200m sprinter is lining up so much so soon in the new season.. Trying to get her ratings down a bit by the summer? Dropped by three to 99 now from peak of 102 after Railway.  Maybe Australia is a better option.

Classic, got to be careful of your own accuracy when you shoot your mouth off

I had a look at the Ruakaka race.  I don't know what race the people that do the comments were watching, but she was well beaten when fourth, even allowing for the minor interference, she certainly had no more.  If anything she raced a bit fiercely in the early part of the race

"Trld,hld up 400,out 200,had more"

Don't believe me anyway, here's the vid

https://loveracing.nz/Common/SystemTemplates/Modal/Video.aspx?v=http%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f201909%2fWHAN-R03-140919.mp4&i=%2fCommon%2fImage.ashx%3fw%3d720%26h%3d400%26a%3d1%26o%3d1%26bg%3deeeeee%26p%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.racingreplays.co.nz%2fmedia%2f201909%2fWHAN-R03-140919.jpg&r=Race+3+-+PATRON'S+TROPHY&rs=1

• Like 1

agree hesi she wasnt going to beat lucy that day the options for the inside rail didnt work had to change to coming out lost ground there and the 2nd and 3rd horses had straight runs but we knew lucy would be pretty hard to beat that day and the owners got plenty off her

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sharne said:

agree hesi she wasnt going to beat lucy that day the options for the inside rail didnt work had to change to coming out lost ground there and the 2nd and 3rd horses had straight runs but we knew lucy would be pretty hard to beat that day and the owners got plenty off her

SM would never have beaten Lucy or Hanger or even RTT at Ruakaka even with the best run in the race. She's just got too much weight to carry against horses that are not much inferior - if at all - to her. (eg RTT finished ahead of SM in the Concorde and a pre-Railway sprint at Ellerslie, both behind Princess Kereru, who fiished 2nd i the Railway) - so the extra impost post-Railway is the difference. These 1200m races at the top end are often decided by 0. 20 of a second or less - so it's who gets the best draw/barrier/ride combo on the day that determines the winner. At Ruakaka the rail and one off were the faster lanes  esp early in the day (Lucy's was Race 3).

My main point in querying SM's performances is just wondering why she is having so many races so soon in the season, when the richer pickings of the summer are still a way off.