The Race Place

Maori Language Week

Hesi

8 hours ago, Honest john said:

I can and do chose what I watch, I don’t watch the news now, everything is there. This country is fast becoming a joke, my friends in the uk are laughing at us, I mean look who’s our foreign affairs minister, someone married to her first cousin with a history of woman bashing. Great advert for our country, maybe you lookup to her, I don’t.

hj

The UK has Boris, shit even they cannot stop laughing at the fool.

I am unsure about the Foreign Affairs Minister but I will look it up. National had some weirdo MP down South who pulled his Dick out, took photos and sent them off to young girls. There was the other weirdo National MP from the deep South who gave out confidential medical information which he obtained from a former President of The National Party. Then there was the sex fend  who stood for National in Upper North Shore who was assuming former girl friends' identities on face book and making disgusting posts. Plenty there for the your mates in The Uk to laugh at

23 hours ago, Bloke said:

The UK has Boris, shit even they cannot stop laughing at the fool.

I am unsure about the Foreign Affairs Minister but I will look it up. National had some weirdo MP down South who pulled his Dick out, took photos and sent them off to young girls. There was the other weirdo National MP from the deep South who gave out confidential medical information which he obtained from a former President of The National Party. Then there was the sex fend  who stood for National in Upper North Shore who was assuming former girl friends' identities on face book and making disgusting posts. Plenty there for the your mates in The Uk to laugh at

[In fairness this one is gone too]

hj

When jumped on a hour or so ago quickly, couldn’t help but noticed this. A fight starting oh dear. So thought Id add following quickly.

Not sure about names for South Island, but these are familiar names of towns or cities in North. So you see we are already amongst many Maori names. These town/cities names are normal to me. Its all Iv ever known. However the Aotearoa is understandably going 1 step too far in my view (as we couldn't even change Flag) New Zealand is New Zealand & its Maori equivalent is Aotearoa BUT it shouldn't be replaced with the later. Don't know what they are thinking. 

Bloke FYI - Honest J is a member of Nat Party so he maybe staunch in his views re politics.

Right see you peeps. Thursday-Fri get involve in the Harness comp. Come join Bloke you are welcome 😄

1. Piha

1. Te Kuiti
  2. Whangarei
  3. Manakau City
  4. Kaitaia
  5. Tauranga
  6. Taupiri
  7. Hawera
  8. Te Awamutu
  9. Pirongia
  10. Whangerei
  11. Kaitaia
  12. Tarawera
  13. Whanganui
  14. Opotiki
  15. Otaki
  16. Taranaki
  17. Te Kauwhata
  18. Te Kawa
  19. Pihia
  20. Mt Manganui
  21. Papamoa
  22. Whakatane
  23. Te Aroha
  24. Otoronhanga
  25. Kawhia
  26. Opotiki
  27. Piopio
  28. Kiokio
  29. Waikato
  30. Ruakaka
  31. Te Rapa
  32. Pukekohe
  33. Matamata
  34. Pokeno
  35. Waiheke Island
  36. Kerikeri
  37. Waitomo
  38. Waitangi
  39. Waitakere
  40. Kihikihi
  41. Orewa
  42. Waipu
  43. Cape Reinga 
  44. Meremere

Edited by karrotsishere

heard some on location TV Reporter in Hamilton prattling on about Covid yesterday; she slipped in the Maori version of Hamilton "here in ...whatever"

Aotearoa is not the Maori name for New Zealand; even the Maori dictionary defines Aotearoa as originally meaning the North Island:

Aotearoa

1. (location) North Island - now used as the Māori name for New Zealand.

so the argument 'for' using it because it's the original/native name is WRONG.

• Like 2

From a recent newspaper article:

Otakou marae kaumatua Edward Ellison said while he agreed with the Māori Party's initiative in principle, it would be "a rash move to rush forward in a change of that substance and nature".

At the core of his reservations is the history of the name Aotearoa, which many people did not realise originally referred solely to the North Island.

You know, it would not really bother me if they changed the name to Aotearoa, or something of that ilk, that has relevance to it's very first origins

Abel Tasman discovered NZ, but I guess there were already people here.  He called it Staten Land, which the Dutch cartographers changed to Nova Zeelandia, and James Cook changed to New Zealand.

The current generation(s), may resist that and for good reasons, but latter ones would just accept it.

A bit like the first generation immigrants of any race are never really accepted, but after several generations and a bit of good old ethnic inter breeding, they become an accepted part of society

18 minutes ago, craigos1 said:

My relation a top bloke as well 

He would not be so impressed that his words are being used on a negative anti maori platform however.

Craig this is not an anti Maori platform. There seem to be both sides of the argument represented here which is fine by me.

Can’t help myself have to jump in again here. Not me, not anti Maori. Was trying to explain how there already are LOTS of Maori names in North, some peeps may not be aware. Its VERY NORMAL. Never really thought about it much prior. Eg Don’t go round thinking, (Oh I'm going to Waikehe Island for a vino - Oh that is a Maori name). I mean seriously who does.

However Im currently against the name NZ to be changed, even if it was to another English name. I like name New Zealand.

Funny story, some friends of friends American tourists come to NZ & were being driven around by friend. They were excited & having fun trying to pronounce ALL the Maori names. (As above Iv pointed out there are MANY in North). They then pronounced this TA KE A W A - when they went past a fish & chip shop. Friend laughed says no that says TAKEAWAY”.

• Like 1

Abel Tasman discovered NZ,

don't think so, Hesi, though it's fair to say he was the first European to sight New Zealand (that we are aware of ,anyway).

If you take Maori oral history at 'face value', (voice value)? Kupe discovered Aotearoa 'land of the long white cloud' - ie the North Island - but to say he discovered the country we now call New Zealand is nonsense. Not even the first Maori to settle in 'New Zealand' understood it as a nation of two/three main islands. That all came later, because of Cook's cartographic skills in mapping the main islands.

At what point do we stop doffing our cap to the 'first settlers' and start thinking about the current and future settlers?
EVERYONE WHO LIVES IN THIS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY IS AN IMMIGRANT.

19 minutes ago, Maximus said:

Abel Tasman discovered NZ,

don't think so, Hesi, though it's fair to say he was the first European to sight New Zealand (that we are aware of ,anyway).

If you take Maori oral history at 'face value', (voice value)? Kupe discovered Aotearoa 'land of the long white cloud' - ie the North Island - but to say he discovered the country we now call New Zealand is nonsense. Not even the first Maori to settle in 'New Zealand' understood it as a nation of two/three main islands. That all came later, because of Cook's cartographic skills in mapping the main islands.

At what point do we stop doffing our cap to the 'first settlers' and start thinking about the current and future settlers?
EVERYONE WHO LIVES IN THIS BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY IS AN IMMIGRANT.

That's what I meant, the first European.  I qualified it by saying people were already here.

So if we are looking for the first indigenous, then it should be Moriori Land

10 hours ago, Honest john said:

Domt bet me started on the freaks in the Labour Party, Helen clucks art, speeding against the law, it goes on and on. Dover samuels .

hj

[Sorry Bloke but I've pulled this post. We really don't need left v right slanging matches in here]

Pete

17 minutes ago, Bloke said:

[Sorry Bloke but I've pulled this post. We really don't need left v right slanging matches in here]

Pete

C'mon Pete

I'm left your right we've been slanging each other for ages.

I must get back to work,  I'll read your reply when I get home 1:10am

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hesi said:

That's what I meant, the first European.  I qualified it by saying people were already here.

The Morori settled only on The Chatham Islands. There was settlement for the Moriori in recent times where the Government clarified that the Moriori only settled on The Chathams.

The reason for the settlement was that in the 1870s the Government of the day decreed that European and Maori owned greater than 90% of the Chathams. There currently is an excellent series being run on the Maori Channel about the history of The Chathams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hesi said:

where did the Moriori come from? Wiki says they are Polynesian ...so, Taiwan? Whatever, they're still immigrants.

Polynesians form an ethnolinguistic group of closely related people who are native to Polynesia (islands in the Polynesian Triangle), an expansive region of Oceania in the Pacific Ocean. They trace their early prehistoric origins to Island Southeast Asia and form part of the larger Austronesian ethnolinguistic group with an Urheimat in Taiwan. They speak the Polynesian languages, a branch of the Oceanic subfamily of the Austronesian language family.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, craigos1 said:

C'mon Pete

I'm left your right we've been slanging each other for ages.

I must get back to work,  I'll read your reply when I get home 1:10am

That's as may be but it depends in how it's worded and in these 2 cases it went past what I think is acceptable for the site.

This is a  racing site first and foremost. There are plenty of other places to express yourself at those sort of levels.  

This may be a departure from what has previously been acceptable but that's the way it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craigos1 said:

You're right there Barry,

Think there are a couple of firms up North.

Bit of a niche market but lucky we do it otherwise most probably would be curtains for me.

... a man needs three days a week to keep up with the form, eh Craigo!

• Like 2