The Race Place

Monday trivia

PWJ

34 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

Little Brown Jug or My Brown Jug?

That's Him !!!  Little Brown Jug , the 1979-80 NZ horse of the year . Racing in Australia as My Brown Jug. 

Ran 3rd to Hyperno in the Australia Cup 1981 .

In a particularly Grumpy mood here in photo lol...  trying to savage an Oz champion of the Track.

Does anyone recognise the poor horse getting a set of gnashers coming at him?  as well as putting up with jock with whip on his back, and running flat out lol.....

DSC02691.JPG

Edited by Lightning Blue
add photo

Just now, Lightning Blue said:

That's Him !!!  Little Brown Jug , the 1979-80 NZ horse of the year . Racing in Australia as My Brown Jug. 

Ran 3rd to Hyperno in the Australia Cup 1981 .

In a particularly Grumpy mood here in photo lol...  trying to savage an Oz champion of the Track.

Does anyone recognise the poor horse getting a set of gnashers coming at him?  as well as putting up with jock with whip on his back, and running flat out lol.....

Manikato?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PWJ said:

NG is right - CF Orr Stakes at Caulfield I think

At Sandown on that occasion. This years version of CF Orr Stakes is Saturday week . should be a beauty.

Brent Thompson thought he had the great Manikato covered with Little Brown Jug , but lost by a head , when his mount turned his head for a go , and Manikato could of lost his head ! lol.....

Instead it was 3 x CF Orr Stakes on the trot for Manikato. It's tough work holding out the kiwi's !! lol.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lightning Blue said:

What horse and Jock do we have here for Monday trivia ?

Hahah black and white proving too hard for the kiwis ?  I see no-one nailed this from last Monday with the famous kiwi hoop up. 

clue for tomorrow then :.........  thinking triple crown winners , and this horse is a unique one 

so Question 2 trivia Monday : (if anyone is solving question 1 by then lol....) 

What is unique about this horse winning the Sydney 2 year old triple crown  ?

4 minutes ago, VC! said:

Burst

Burst was also the only filly to win the triple crown

Spot On Ian !!! . A magnificent filly Burst was. Shane Dye steering her to his 4th Golden Slipper on the trot.

And to this day , the only Filly to take out the 2 year olds triple Crown of Golden Slipper, Sires Produce and Champagne Stakes.  A truly fantastic effort.

Bonus Question?  Anyone remember the last horse to do so ?  (Sydney 2 year old triple Crown winner)

FIREBURN might be trying for it this year after taking the Slipper. Sires Produce Stakes next on his agenda.

4 minutes ago, ngakonui grass said:

PIERRO?

That is the one NG ! well done.... you tie it up with 2 questions each correct for you and VC .

PIERRO  the colt in 2012 and his Gai Waterhouse stablemate DANCE HERO the gelding in 2004, the only 2 to take the Sydney 2 yearold triple Crown since BURST did in 1992.

I believe your earlier pick of TIERCE may of done so as well during the 'Shane Dye' era. What a jock he was...

Monday Trivia and a little easier than PJ's . NG and VC with 2 points each, solved the Burst and Shane Dye riding her to 2 year old triple Crown glory.

The great kiwi Shane Dye jumping on a Sydney 3 year-old triple crown winner in this photo 

Question 1/ What horse is Shane riding and what Race is this ?  2 points 

Question 2/ Who did they defeat on the inside of him there ? horse and jockey ?   2 points

Question 3/ What champion jockey rode this horse to 3 year old Triple Crown glory ?  1 point 

answer one or all of the questions if you're in the vibe  . good luck gettyimages-539738869-594x594.jpg.7677971fa984fb4e4a4c7393c4f5ae0f.jpg

4 hours ago, VC! said:

1) Octagonal Cox Plate

2) Mahogany Greg Hall

3) Darren Bradman 

Numbers 1 and 2 correct !! but a near miss in number 3   ?      4 points to Ian. 

If anyone around for late Monday Trivia. 

1/ Can you correctly name Octagonal's Triple Crown jock ?

2/  Can you name the 2 horse's he Won the 'greatest race of all' riding ?

3/ Tricky but good trivia question .... What is the special Achievement held by the first horse from Q2 in the Mel Cup ? 

10 hours ago, VC! said:

Bradman lol Beadman

Kingston Rule Saintly

At the time Kingston Rule ran the fastest Melbourne Cup from memory

Spot on Ian ! the 'Don' might of been a good jock too lol, as could swing a cricket bat better than some swing the whip.

Darren Beadman having a great career and winning with Saintly for Bart a Cox plate and a Melbourne Cup,

And 'Kingston Rule's achievement is as you say , he is the Melbourne Cup Race Record Holder for the 2 mile trip.

OK Bluey I have one for you, it’s a who am I (Australian Harness)

In the mid 90s I moved to the Southern  Gold Coast my first job was working at the Tweed Heads Tab, where I met some Characters from all codes Racing…..Harness….Greyhound’s 

Being the first TAB over the border in NSW we used to get an influx of Queenslanders wanting to bet on the NSW TAB as the pools held way more money

Once or twice a week this couple used to venture down from the Coast Husband and Wife, it was usually somewhere between $1k and 2k invested on a harness horse, the Wife would usually put the bet on while the Husband usually wondered around out the front on his phone, until start time

Only clue you will require from here is their go to man was Gavin Lang

On 3/27/2022 at 4:37 PM, Lightning Blue said:

(Sydney 2 year old triple Crown winner)

FIREBURN might be trying for it this year after taking the Slipper. Sires Produce Stakes next on his agenda

FIREBURN brilliantly Won the second leg of the Sydney '2 year old Triple Crown' last Saturday . (the Sires Produce Stakes) so one more to go for him to be the next Big thing. Bet he hopes the rain keeps coming.

HITOTSU took the final leg of the Sydney '3 year old Triple crown' with a big Australian Derby win. (added to his Vic Derby)

Monday Trivia Question ? Who was the last horse to complete the 3 year old Triple Crown ??

DUNDEEL (NZ) - It's A Dundeel - Racehorse Profile, Facts & Stats

54 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

FIREBURN brilliantly Won the second leg of the Sydney '2 year old Triple Crown' last Saturday . (the Sires Produce Stakes) so one more to go for him to be the next Big thing. Bet he hopes the rain keeps coming.

HITOTSU took the final leg of the Sydney '3 year old Triple crown' with a big Australian Derby win. (added to his Vic Derby)

Monday Trivia Question ? Who was the last horse to complete the 3 year old Triple Crown ??

DUNDEEL (NZ) - It's A Dundeel - Racehorse Profile, Facts & Stats

IT'S A DUNDEEL

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

NZ Triple Crown Monday Trivia.

'She's Extreme' has narrowly defeated her fellow filly FIREBURN and prevented her from being only the second filly ever to Win the Sydney Autumn 2 yearold Triple Crown after BURST. Fireburn having earlier taken out the Golden Slipper and Sires Stakes.

For Monday trivia today,  NZ actually has 3 Triple crowns with 100k bonus for those able to take the 3 races.

The Hawkes Bay Triple Crown , the Sprint Triple Crown and a WFA triple crowns. 

QUESTION : Can you name the three NZ SPRINT TRIPLE CROWN races and the latest winner to take the Crown Winning All three legs ??  4 points