The Race Place

Ashburton Monday

Addington

10 minutes ago, Hesi said:

Can someone describe just what it was that Ange and Dave had about the formula with Racecafe, that so many people talk about with such glowing reference

times were a lot different then but we had a group of moderators and all posts were moderated as we did have the obvious trouble makers who needed to be kept an eye on.  The moderators could discuss issues privately and agree on the stance with Ange and Dave.  Perhaps being one of the early forums like it was and pre facebook and really Ange and Dave had their heart in the right place - then when they sold it to Annie and then the "future mayor of Auckland" the wheels fell off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

times were a lot different then but we had a group of moderators and all posts were moderated as we did have the obvious trouble makers who needed to be kept an eye on.  The moderators could discuss issues privately and agree on the stance with Ange and Dave.  Perhaps being one of the early forums like it was and pre facebook and really Ange and Dave had their heart in the right place - then when they sold it to Annie and then the "future mayor of Auckland" the wheels fell off.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It was extremely well run and because it was the only show in town people had to behave.

I still remember the day we had at Ellerslie. They managed to get us a room in the main stand and it was just brilliant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It was extremely well run and because it was the only show in town people had to behave.

I still remember the day we had at Ellerslie. They managed to get us a room in the main stand and it was just brilliant.

I found this post image.thumb.png.080c45a12455390361b12a589fa84d40.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

They are completing revamping the season so I hope they address stakes as well.

Stakes can only be increased by growing revenue ie betting.  I think that will take time but I remember Woodham saying they were looking at ways to increase turnover from overseas, or export turnover I think they call it.  Hope they can put a successful plan together 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Doesn't always work out the way one would think. We were offered big money for MM in his Aussie campaign and it was put to a vote. We said no. Enough purists onboard to want to do the best thing by the horse and keep him with his passionate trainer, regardless of reward, even allowing for the fact he is a top horse.  Personally I wasn't in it for the money, win or lose the buzz from watching your horse/horses run was enough. Not everyone is in that position and it isn't for me to judge someone else for wanting to cash up. I think the stakes available is a sad indictment on NZ racing and its administration in general. 

I remember the days of Hutt Park and the Wgtn Cup , chock full of open class pacers. Sadly with the advent of regionalising the industry and inflating costs the last Cup I remember had C5 pacers running . Loved Hutt Park, beautiful shell grit track, and fast.

Good points Globe.  It’s great you have retained MM he helps make up one of the finest groups of open class trotters we have seen, and that is saying a lot.  Agree we need higher stakes but like you I am in it for the fun.  I was in a syndicate that sold a really good race mare and I kind of regret that now. Would love to have bred from her, but you have to go with the majority.   Good luck for Ash Vegas, would love to see him win

8 hours ago, Globederby19 said:

Cool is a vast understatement. Karrots you really do need to go and visit it. For a Harness nut it is the closest you will get to Heaven. For those of us with long memory's it is genuinely eye watering stuff. 

You are so right Rees.

This not just a tin shed, or room, it is a centrally located building, very close to the Alex Bar and Eatery and the track.

A thought actually. We could hold a get together there.

Everything from all the different betting terminals, written TAB tickets, the first mobile arm used in the 1950's, trainers colours, reference books, old racebooks dating back to the 1800's, display cabinets of cups and trophys, and heaps more.

• Like 3

Hehe @Royal Nod, yeah for sure if Sweetie was part of a syndicate like many of yours on here, but she is not for that reason & that reason alone won’t share. Would love to tho with you. As I’m sure you would like to follow, as I follow yours now. Thanks for your interest tho 😄

@Hesi re (how did RC do well). And others have mentioned they moderated etc. Its all so INTERESTING the history behind the sites.

Regarding that think that is another reason why its good to know posters. NOT their actual IDs but the type of poster they are. As someone mentioned the word “troublemaker”.

For me too, its good to know, for e.g. when Fridays selections - I straight away knew @Lightning Blue would be someone that would most likely JUMP IN and help out commentator/score. Hence posted asking. And YES. HE did 😄👍 

Re ALL the different sites its not hard to imagine how things can turn pear sharped with SO many different personalities & opinions ONCE the number of posters goes up. So good to have posters that are tolerant & respectful with a splash of fun (to keep it from being a snore fest).

Well Ashburton is TODAY folks. Great line up. And its still officially the weekend. Long weekend overcast up here. Go M Man!

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Hehe @Royal Nod, yeah for sure if Sweetie was part of a syndicate like many of yours on here, but she is not for that reason & that reason alone won’t share. Would love to tho with you. As I’m sure you would like to follow, as I follow yours now. Thanks for your interest tho 😄

@Hesi re (how did RC do well). And others have mentioned they moderated etc. Its all so INTERESTING the history behind the sites.

Regarding that think that is another reason why its good to know posters. NOT their actual IDs but the type of poster they are. As someone mentioned the word “troublemaker”.

For me too, its good to know, for e.g. when Fridays selections - I straight away knew @Lightning Blue would be someone that would most likely JUMP IN and help out commentator/score. Hence posted asking. And YES. HE did 😄👍 

Re ALL the different sites its not hard to imagine how things can turn pear sharped with SO many different personalities & opinions ONCE the number of posters goes up. So good to have posters that are tolerant & respectful with a splash of fun (to keep it from being a snore fest).

Well Ashburton is TODAY folks. Great line up. And its still officially the weekend. Long weekend overcast up here. Go M Man!

Most on here are tolerate, knowledgeable, and respectful, and as is with life in general, if someone doesn't make good connection, then we can ease away. It takes "Two to "Tango", and if we pull away from unpleasantness, then the other has no one to be confronting.

The line in the sand, that has been made clear from Day 1, has always been robust but respectful discussion, seems to work, very little moderation required.

Also those that make a positive contribution to the site, have to be 'looked after', from the sideline snipers.  It only takes one, to piss them off and they go elsewhere.

New posters to the site, may be unaware that PJ puts in approx 10 hours per week, running the Thoroughbred Comp.  He does it because he really enjoys it.  I'm always surprised that he finds the time, as he has an important position at a major Australian stud.

Other sites in the past, have allowed posters of dubious motive, to 'have a go' and spoil that enjoyment

• Like 7

1 hour ago, karrotsishere said:

Hope it is win 100 since I started the syndicates and won that first race with Rugged Cross - if not maybe Thursday at Invercargill with Our Pinocchio 🙂

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Enteebee said:

Hope it is win 100 since I started the syndicates and won that first race with Rugged Cross - if not maybe Thursday at Invercargill with Our Pinocchio 🙂

Yes lets get back to talking about racing. That is why we are ALL here & the topic thread, Ashburton Monday.

Was just reading an article on HRNZ saying Purdon isn’t super confident with Oscar. (Interesting)

Also states Williamson saying horse in 1-1 will be a threat should it be 1 of the big bangers. That is a good point. Ill have eyes on the horse in the 1-1 too & trail & lead of course. 

This Ashburton straight def looks longer than Cambridge BUT hopefully he can hold them. If his balls aren’t busted during the running can’t see how he won’t. BUT it is racing & you just never know.

Nevertheless GOOD LUCK 😃

Ill check back in here a bit later in day.

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Completely understand Karrots.  Will follow Sweet Lou here & in USA anyway. He certainly leaves nice types, and if they are out of Bettors mares all the better.   

• Thanks 1

Ash Vegas seems a rather cool 12 degrees today, so will need some hot tips to warm up.

As I have breaky I see Vincent Vega (John Travolta) having a run in the first. Pulp Fiction a very 'unusual' type of cult movie, to say the least.

Only problem is Vega didn't make it out alive in the movie , so hope not a bad omen for the horse ! lol. I'm on anyway.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Legend.

may I say that from my perspective it is not merely the "10 hours a week" PJ puts in that matters...it's the attention to details, the race-by-race updates with concise but comprehensive info on H2H and team matches, the scenarios of potential outcomes esp as the Comp hots up towards R10, the innovations (eg Black Adder)...all these things rely on him having the will and enthusiasm to be online for our benefit pretty much every Saturday. So it's not just the number of hours; it's the quality of output and personal commitment.  Invaluable.

MM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2