The Race Place

Ashburton Monday

Addington

17 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Crystal Daytom - $2.10????

Why?

Hmmmm... yes. Why indeed.

And it closed off at $2.00 on the final field market. 

I can't recall the last time I saw a $2 shot allowed to be trapped 4 back the pegs, whilst going down the back straight in single file. And the horse (stablemate) to start the train forward on the running line, comes out from behind it (5 back the pegs), all the while the other stablemate is leading by 1.5/2 lengths up front, and this all happened about 1100m out from home. 

If this happened in Oz, there would be a few questions asked. Why it was paying $2 would be the first, of many. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

I can't recall a $2 shot ever being a 13 start maiden beaten 21 l, 22 l, 11 l and 28 lengths at it's last 4 starts. extroadinary.  

That is an excellent point. 

One that is so ridiculous, it's quite funny. 

And did you see what its odds were, for those last 4 starts? 

$100+ , $44, $48 and $70 (thereabouts). 

Plus keep in mind, those last 4 starts, weren't exactly months ago. It raced only a few weeks ago.

New trainer today and it's $2. 

Go figure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Royal Nod said:

I’m disappointed Cantfindabettorman is scratched today.  Would have made for a good contest with Franco Indie. 

Yes only noticed that just prior race. I was going to be watching Cantfindabettorman.

Lets be fair tho, think your horse is going to be the main threat to Franco Indie in Sires Final. 

Nice performance by Indie today. He's now crushed into fav for Final. 

Wow what a great win for the connections Muscle Mountain. Gee didn’t see that coming, from the parked spot!!

Nice run too by M Man, had his chance, stuck on nicely for 2nd. The top 3 put a bit of a slight break on the others.

Did the Whale say it was a track record?

Looks like @Lightning Blue you are on the money so far today. Just need Self A too come in. Giddy up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

on the money so far today.

Karrots did you go to Auckland for the minor jewels when CHEEZEL and FOLKLORE raced so well ??

just looking at R8 today , the mares race . and they are 30-1 and 20-1 ? they went Brilliantly I thought at Auckland?

'A taste of Honey' was behind them in that and only 12-1 today. 

Think I'll take FOLKLORE .......... shes got a great finish on her and I rate Jonny Cox very highly as a driver.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lightning Blue said:

I can't recall a $2 shot ever being a 13 start maiden beaten 21 l, 22 l, 11 l and 28 lengths at it's last 4 starts. extroadinary.  

Strange things happen in harness these days so no surprise.

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

One that is so ridiculous, it's quite funny. 

And did you see what its odds were, for those last 4 starts? 

$100+ , $44, $48 and $70 (thereabouts). 

Plus keep in mind, those last 4 starts, weren't exactly months ago. It raced only a few weeks ago.

New trainer today and it's $2. 

At least Tetrick came off for them. 

He is a hack now, must have been too tired after that run to continue on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Karrots did you go to Auckland for the minor jewels when CHEEZEL and FOLKLORE raced so well ??

just looking at R8 today , the mares race . and they are 30-1 and 20-1 ? they went Brilliantly I thought at Auckland?

'A taste of Honey' was behind them in that and only 12-1 today. 

Think I'll take FOLKLORE .......... shes got a great finish on her and I rate Jonny Cox very highly as a driver.

No didn't, watched from TV. Well you got your multi in. Money in the bank account. Well Done ! 😃JUST tho hehe Classie B nearly got up. Wasn't expecting that either from the older but goodie horse.

Now peeps do you see what I mean. @Happy Sunrise did you see the running start by number 2 Classie B & number 3 Self A. They weren't standing. That is why they got out ahead of number 1 Pembroke Playboy who was standing nicely. Cunning as.

Think the NZ CUP START based on that is just going to be similar to last year. 

Its a bit hmmmm to watch. 

Edited by karrotsishere

41 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Wow what a great win for the connections Muscle Mountain. Gee didn’t see that coming, from the parked spot!!

Nice run too by M Man, had his chance, stuck on nicely for 2nd. The top 3 put a bit of a slight break on the others.

Did the Whale say it was a track record?

Looks like @Lightning Blue you are on the money so far today. Just need Self A too come in. Giddy up.

NZ Record - Majestic Man did his best but that it some horse that beat him - very impressive - Mile rate 1.53.2

We just couldnt overcome the Mardy jinx factor 😉

Edited by Enteebee
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Now peeps do you see what I mean. @Happy Sunrise did you see the running start by number 2 & number 3. They weren't standing. That is why they got out ahead of number 1 Pembroke Playboy who was standing nicely. Cunning as.

That was  a walking start again. I suppose you praise Purdon and Dunn for picking the start but I still maintain on the big day they will be made to stand because one horse will cause disruption and the rest will have to pause, that will test Self Assured as Mark P seems determined not to actually have him at a standstill.

I wouldn't read into Self Assured nearly being beaten. The sprint home levelled things out. 

Would enjoy Laver somehow getting into the Cup. He would make it a race.

How will the Cup start, with a full field, be managed? That is the most intriguing thing for me 🙄

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

did you see the running start by number 2 Classie B & number 3 Self A. They weren't standing. That is why they got out ahead of number 1 Pembroke Playboy who was standing nicely. Cunning as.

You're talking the countries 2 leading drivers and stables so no shock to see them being great at the 'start' as well as the 'finish' of the race.

Classie Brigade is a NZ Cup placegetter one year , so Nobody is going to beat a horse of that calibre , sitting in the trail, sucked along up to the home straight,  very easily. 

And If anyone missed race 2 today, a trot , the brilliant JOHN DUNN did a running start in that too!!! from the un-ruly as did the 'Cunning' Gavin Smith following in John's example. !! fantastic initiative , and both ran placings accordingly.

Skill level of these drivers is amazing.

23 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

That was  a walking start again.

Exactly.

1. So we have the Methvan Cup where the horse Vintage C on the 10metre mark, didn’t actually start from 10 metres behind.

2. Then we have last start Self Assured walking start getting an advantage.

3. And now we have this race a walking start I noticed 2 in particular. (Didn't have my eyes on the outside runners).

* What it actually does is put me off watching the NZ CUP.

Happy to watch the other races but losing interest in the NZ CUP now due to the start. It needs to be fair. Either ALL horses stand or ALL horse walk up PERIOD.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

* What it actually does is put me off watching the NZ CUP

Don't let it Karrots . Standing Starts have been awful since time began . many greats had trouble like Highland Fling and Lord Module at the start of the Cup and still won. It's a spectacular event.

More thrilling for you being a 'Sweet Lou fan' (and for harness racing in general) is the continued competition being given by the TELFER stable. That 'Sweet Lou filly' was ultra impressive just then !!   DARLING ME.

Reminded me of her great mum , a NZ Cup winner ADORE ME . near on the 'Winx' of the harness world in her day. 

Ran 'sub 3.55' time to win the NZ Cup and in her last career start in Aus , won a Group 1 mile at Menangle , by 6 lengths in 1.47.7 !! 2 x gob-smacking achievements. 

No mare will ever get near that achievement again . Adore Me and Winx . 2 like never before or never again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Don't let it Karrots . Standing Starts have been awful since time began . many greats had trouble like Highland Fling and Lord Module at the start of the Cup and still won. It's a spectacular event.

More thrilling for you being a 'Sweet Lou fan' (and for harness racing in general) is the continued competition being given by the TELFER stable. That 'Sweet Lou filly' was ultra impressive just then !!   DARLING ME.

Reminded me of her great mum , a NZ Cup winner ADORE ME . near on the 'Winx' of the harness world in her day. 

Ran 'sub 3.55' time to win the NZ Cup and in her last career start in Aus , won a Group 1 mile at Menangle , by 6 lengths in 1.47.7 !! 2 x gob-smacking achievements. 

No mare will ever get near that achievement again . Adore Me and Winx . 2 like never before or never again.

Yes a really good run. Slightly hard to follow.

Eg last x2 times she had mid race move parked runs she faded to 3rd, 4th. The only difference I note today is it was shorter distance at 1700 oppose 1980. BUT yes nice Lou filly 😄

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:05 PM, Enteebee said:

NZ Record - Majestic Man did his best but that it some horse that beat him - very impressive - Mile rate 1.53.2

We just couldnt overcome the Mardy jinx factor 😉

On a totally different subject Neil.

Were you aware that the new calendar panel/committee that has just released the plan for the new season, had no North Island representative on it? Yes, there was North Islanders invite to the workshops, but no one in the actual decision making group.

1 hour ago, Double R said:

On a totally different subject Neil.

Were you aware that the new calendar panel/committee that has just released the plan for the new season, had no North Island representative on it? Yes, there was North Islanders invite to the workshops, but no one in the actual decision making group.

Congratulations on bringing up the ton Neil, with Our Pinocchio.