The Race Place

Auckland

Royal Nod

48 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Yes & I had suggested putting a charge on the gate. Same as they do for the Jewels. And how they do the Easter Show next door. If they had enough entertainment to deem a charge people will pay. And looking for value cost effective entertainment.

But anyway it was an old thread as such. Doesn't matter anymore. 

And yea it wasn't about attracted the usuals, it was about the general public. YES they need to be entertained in this day & age. Adds another dimension other than JUST racing.

Helps to move away from away from lets get smashed mentality. 

Anyways over & out 😄

All good Karrots.

I will not give anymore updates when I hear them.

13 minutes ago, Double R said:

All good Karrots.

I will not give anymore updates when I hear them.

Don't be silly. You must of mis-interpreted my post. YES keep updating us please 😄

Im just saying the IDEAS thread I started 6 months ish elsewhere is over. No point in debating it now. Thats all. Over and out about that. 

Edited by karrotsishere

Way back in last century, I was at Los Alamitos Raceway, watching all the NZer's clean up, has since closed.

They had some amazing promotional ideas. Granted, it was surrounded by the Hispanic population, but use to giveaway stuff at the gate to get people throught it eg carry bags, watches, cheap little items but free. Now, once on the course, the racing became secondary to all the other activities, more a fairground type of atmosphere but it worked, maybe 3-4000 people.It was like rent a crowd. And then , on some special nights, a Friday or Saturday, for the cost of $10, they'd have a music concert in the middle of the track, and in between races a Country & Western singer(I fell in love with Crystal Gayle🥰)) or the like would perform. I would think SIX60 would pack it out.So now you have 10,000+ people who have come for the occasion, and in between times lets have a harness race, and maybe a % of those will have a bet and get interested in the chariot racing going on. We tend to forget it is a thrilling spectacle under lights with the colours up, the speed and the shiney horse flesh.

My point is, the young demographic today, with or without families, don't want to be 4 hrs on a course with not much happening, their attention span is too short nowadays and HRacing ain't the only gig in town when it comes to choices as it use to be. I think we are in the entertainment business, not the racing business. Auckland , and Addington for that matter, are in prime positions to take advantage of their localities. They should be Horse Central, everything to do with the equine. How about a dressage arena in the middle of the track? What about running classes teaching people how to place a bet, which I know with all it's permutations puts young people off. What about hitting the schools with guided tours, much like the MCG does, teaching children about the history of the horse, driving a virtual horse, and maybe one or two may get keen.

Man, I've just read what I've written and a few ramblings I know but it comes from a place where we feel we could do so much more. Pretty hard in the prevailing conditons we find ourselves I know, but could be an opportune time for a reset.

Edited by Blackie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From the Chairman, John Coulam in his latest update.

He seems a very reasonable guy and more in tune than others but please respond to the comments made rather telling them off. 

Doesn't look promising if they are saying the TAB controls the outcome which we know already but it looks a  very submissive stance to take and gives off an air of inevitability about the future ( of which they are not responsible for - how convenient) 

There was so much more he could have said than this weak statement.

The draft dates calendar is out for consultation and I remind clubs to follow the process for consultation, which doesn’t include making alarmist comments in local or national media. In the end the TAB controls the outcome and HRNZ is charged with getting the best available days and dates that give us the opportunity to get the best return for the whole sport.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

In the end the TAB controls the outcome

Under the 2020 Racing Act that's plain nonsense.

Yes TAB has to confirm a date Schedule so as to maximize their assets eg trucks, cameras and staff but the codes decide their own fate in terms of funding via Racing distributions, think market share. The TAB  have nothing to do with which code gets what..

Smokescreens such as this suggest once again that all is not well in Harness land.

• Like 1

Noticed that 3 Stride Corp 2 y/os have just been exported. 2 colt pacers & 1 trotter. Checked breeding of pacers & nicely breed. If brought thru the ring would of been for a nice price by looks. Last can recall Perfect Stride & Line Up & last year Toro Stride all started off racing in NZ albeit small racing career but at least started off.  

Have they decided NOT at all to race in NZ now? Then I start to think of the new draft calendar Aucklands meetings etc. Can understand why BIG spenders won't bother racing here. 

Also see Honey Queen has gone too, not sure if to do an Aussie campaign or permanently. She was 1 making up numbers in those super small FFAS at Cambridge recently. Another 1 possibly gone if gone for good. 

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, karrotsishere said:

Noticed that 3 Stride Corp 2 y/os have just been exported. 2 colt pacers & 1 trotter. Checked breeding of pacers & nicely breed. If brought thru the ring would of been for a nice price by looks.

Correction 4 horses not 3. 2 pacers & 2 trotters. 

As Blackie points out in another thread, makes a good point. Wonder if NZ will end up just being a breeding ground and horses exported to race. 

I am very surprised Mr Guerin has not written an article about the state of Auckland harness after the publicity last week.

I suppose, with the sales coming up there can't be any shaky news about it.

It is a real shame there is no independent racing journalist in NZ who is willing to shed some genuine light on the industry.

• Like 3

I fail to see how an ‘independent’ journalist, a professional in their own right, could be pulled up for reporting the truth. Surely NZ is better than that. Surely, how can they be covered by a covenant that has no relevance to them at all? ie, they have no material interest in the industry. I think that would be drawing a really long bow and would be able to be challenged in court.

7 minutes ago, Blackie said:

As an aside, this peterprofit person seems to able to slur anyone with ease, and without any consequences, or is he not covered by this code of conduct? Surely free speech laws outweigh any code of conduct for a specific sector?

I believe that bloke has run away to Australia to try and beat code of conduct repremands. 

His stuff is pretty vile. Brisbane trotting would of collapsed and many harness clubs all over Nz and Oz, have benefitted from the kind sponsorship and support Chris Garrard has given the industry. (founder of horse and hound) . Profit free speech is having a headline calling that wonderful harness supporter man a 'One-eyed cheat' , what a lot of croc !!

Chris is a wonderful gentleman from the 'Roy Purdon school' of good people,  and that slander against him is just so UN-necessary. The stuff against Robert Dunn is just so poor as well and un-necessary for a champion of the sport for decades. I guess Mark and Nat wear it all the time as well. hard to believe someone does that CONSTANTLY. what a .....

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I fail to see how an ‘independent’ journalist, a professional in their own right, could be pulled up for reporting the truth. Surely NZ is better than that. Surely, how can they be covered by a covenant that has no relevance to them at all? ie, they have no material interest in the industry. I think that would be drawing a really long bow and would be able to be challenged in court.

I just threw that in there because I am sure the powers would be so displeased to have someone opening the can of worms publicly they would do anything to stop them.

The HRNZ response to the Lincoln Farms article was very poor. If we had a real journalist they would ask real questions of them based on the strategic goals HRNZ have. Eg the review of northern harness.

The code of conduct seems useless anyway.

56 minutes ago, Blackie said:

As an aside, this peterprofit person seems to able to slur anyone with ease, and without any consequences, or is he not covered by this code of conduct? Surely free speech laws outweigh any code of conduct for a specific sector?

I have never read one of his articles. Just seen the headlines. He is a bit of a loose unit.

• Like 1

A Group 2 FFA trot to open the program at Auckland !!!

wow , you wouldn't want to be arriving late at the course or you miss the nations best trotters race.

Who would of thought you'd ever see the best horse (Sundee) in the country in Race 1 on a race program.

Only 48 horses carded , racing for over $1/2 million too,  across the 6 races.

A very unusual race card indeed ..... 

A $75,000 trot (race 2) with just 3 starters ! there Will be Happy owners I spose,  as are sure to get a $'s cheque......  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

A Group 2 FFA trot to open the program at Auckland !!!

wow , you wouldn't want to be arriving late at the course or you miss the nations best trotters race.

Who would of thought you'd ever see the best horse (Sundee) in the country in Race 1 on a race program.

Only 48 horses carded , racing for over $1/2 million too,  across the 6 races.

A very unusual race card indeed ..... 

A $75,000 trot (race 2) with just 3 starters ! there Will be Happy owners I spose,  as are sure to get a $'s cheque......  

Yeah just posted about that on Happys Harness Millions thread, wasn't sure which 1 to post on. 

On nite prior at Cambridge, Cambridge hold a 11 card meeting. With BIG fields & nice stakes. With an average field size of approx 13. 

• Like 1

Just did my usual fast flick through of the Box Seat.

Guerin is right that The Race is a good thing for harness, no doubt about it. A big money race like that will generate much interest, especially with some of the slot holders involved such as SENZ. Not sure about his claim it will not cost the industry anything as I thought Cambridge were stumping up a bit of cash.

Anyway, maybe David Branch with his success in getting this off the ground in such an efficient fashion would be an asset in the head office of HRNZ? 

When Tony Barron spoke of issues hanging over the industry and being on the wane I was incredulous that Guerin and O'Connor did not elaborate on any of it at all apart from betting being down (is it? I thought it was ok with those figures they put out on HRNZ but they must be selective and neglect to state the poor turnovers). Surely that was the ideal time to mention the media material that came out about the ATC and losing dates etc and address it. They seem to not be willing or allowed to speak of it, but really in their position, they should say this came out but this is what being done to rectify it to instill a bit of confidence in the industry. 

When things are hidden or ignored out right by people it does not auger well. They have such a powerful position to speak from but just don't use it. It is a shame really.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, karrotsishere said:

Alex noms this week. No Cambridge this week BUT Manawatu is back. A summer meeting & here are the current noms stats

R7 - 2 noms

R5 - 4 noms

R10 - 4 noms

R11 - 4 noms

R6 - 6 noms

R8&9 - 12 noms so 6 noms each race

In contrast here are tomorrow Manawatu acceptors for their 7 card meeting which is mainly House or Central District or some Southern runners. Not many Cambridge usuals heading down. But the field sizes are decent. 

R1 - 11

R2 - 11

R3 - 11

R4 - 12

R5 - 11

R6 - 10

R7 - 9

Edited by karrotsishere

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Which is more important, horses on the ground running or NZB sales average?

Yip, and then compare the average sales price to the average price most of those horses will run around for come race day.

Good reason to say well due to inflation - sales - etc - minimum stakes need to go up.