The Race Place

Kaikoura TC Monday, 16 races, over 200 horses racing

Lightning Blue

Well on a 'packed ' program was wondering about the logistics of all this.

With No NZ Sunday harness meeting, when often you have one,  would'nt it be better to have a 2 Day Carnival at Addington for these 16 races of capacity fields?

Fatigue for some drivers a possibility, can Stabling area accommodate that number ? or will they be tied to the floats in the car park?  like we do at the 'Shows' around Oz.

A team like Robert Dunn's with about 30 horses racing has to get them all to the course , extra trucks needed , etc.

Seems would of been ideal situation to have 2 days of 8 races than 'Bust the seams' of all the logistics.

• Like 1

Hi LB.

I don't think the lack of stabling for horses will be a problem on Monday.

Logistics is exactly what it is all about when running a big stable. With Monday having so many races spread over seven hours, there can be ample time to take horses home after they have raced, and bring another lot back. In general, most trainers don't stick around for very long after their last horse races. Just time for the horse to have a hose down, and walk dry off, and off home.

Cheers.

Robert.

Edited by Double R
Wrong day. Should have been Monday.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Double R said:

Hi LB.

I don't think the lack of stabling for horses will be a problem on Sunday.

Logistics is exactly what it is all about when running a big stable. With Sunday having so many races spread over seven hours, there can be ample time to take horses home after they have raced, and bring another lot back. In general, most trainers don't stick around for very long after their last horse races. Just time for the horse to have a hose down, and walk dry off, and off home.

Cheers.

Robert.

Thanks for that Robert.

I guess you are right and it will be a horse merry-go-round like they do at all the 'gallops' meetings. Those thoroughbreds incapable of standing there for hours on end.

In my day , whether Auckland, Moonee Valley, Albion Park or country tracks everyone arrived before the first , and were pretty much still there at the last race.

I nominated 6 horses every midweek and Sat Albion, and 6 on a Friday night Redcliffe for years, As that was what would fit on my truck. Even today that is still the same for Dixon, McMullen , Butler , and many other trainers still operating. The horses are all there for the duration of the meeting. Albion Park has brilliant stable area in Brisbane , but still only holds about 120 horses max.

If they are lucky enough to have a 'shuttle' driver there at Addington to whizz horses back and forth , that's well and good.   Doesn't happen Albion or Most Oz harness locations actually , because of the distances involved from the racetrack to home stable.

And I can tell you the draining 'pressure' of 6 drives is enough for one day too. Imagine by drive 10 at Kaikoura, for some of those old boys there , in the distance races you have there as well, some decisions made are going to be not well calculated. Would be a test of mental as well as physical indurance. good luck to them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well folks the BIG mega meeting day, is nearly upon us. Is this the biggest harness meeting ever? Or have there been 17 races before? We have our final Round of our TFS Transport Comp, to assist any peeps still needing to get their selections in, here is a video preview from the ALL STARS.

Top Up ya accounts, if you are at home stay at home orders, make sure you have snacks, drinks (non-alcoholic or alcoholic), laptop, TV & comfy space at the ready. She is going to be 1 BIG DAY. (It is a shame missing the lovely beach scenery. Its so beautiful). It is what it is & away we go.

http://www.allstarsracing.co.nz/runners

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, Lightning Blue said:

Fatigue for some drivers a possibility, can Stabling area accommodate that number ? or will they be tied to the floats in the car park?  like we do at the 'Shows' around Oz.

A team like Robert Dunn's with about 30 horses racing has to get them all to the course , extra trucks needed , etc.

Seems would of been ideal situation to have 2 days of 8 races than 'Bust the seams' of all the logistics.

Answers to some of your questions here Lightning. As Double R said come & go. But yip all about logistics it says.

https://www.hrnz.co.nz/news/addington-ready-for-16-race-marathon/

A reminder that we have our final round of the TFS Transport Comp today for Kaikoura 16 race mega meeting. So a winner will be announced. That is over on the $100 Harness Comp thread, under Harness competitions. 

Still awaiting selections from @Hesi @Lightning Blue @Maximus

Hurry up guys, deadline has closed BUT if you could get your picks in before the start of racing be great.

Edited by karrotsishere
  • Like 1

Well the Aus TAB and Sportsbet aren't liking it one bit. Might not be able to fit 16 races on the frame? .

QLD TAB only betting first '4' races only Kaikoura.     SportsBet (a huge International betting company has USA , Sweden and France trots on the books today/tonight but ZERO for New Zealand. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Very sad situation. 

major betting companies are just showing Cobram, Goulbourn, GlobeDerby,Pinjarra, terang and Yarra Valley trots today.>>> NZ might as well not even exist. disgraceful.

5 minutes ago, Lightning Blue said:

Well the Aus TAB and Sportsbet aren't liking it one bit. Might not be able to fit 16 races on the frame? .

QLD TAB only betting first '4' races only Kaikoura.     SportsBet (a huge International betting company has USA , Sweden and France trots on the books today/tonight but ZERO for New Zealand. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Very sad situation. 

major betting companies are just showing Cobram, Goulbourn, GlobeDerby,Pinjarra, terang and Yarra Valley trots today.>>> NZ might as well not even exist. disgraceful.

What really. That sounds tragic Lightning. Crickey. If you want to just post your selections then I can pop them into the NZ TAB and give you your odds. That is an option. 

• Thanks 1

Never fear, Max is here.

Two x$50 Top 3 place Multis hoping to assist the kleverkarrots.

Apologies if a little late posting, scorer!

Meeting 8

R1 #1 Franco Norton @ $2.00

R3 #1 Franco Stefan @$3.20

R4 #10 Ardens Delight @ $5.50

Return: $1760.00

R6 #1 Folklore @ 4.20

R8 #2 Jagara @ $2.10

R9 #4 Bad to the Bone @ $2.20

R10 #1 Sods Law @$5.50

Return $5336.10

have a great day harness lovers! 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, Lightning Blue said:

With No NZ Sunday harness meeting, when often you have one,  would'nt it be better to have a 2 Day Carnival at Addington for these 16 races of capacity fields?

Even with Level 2 restrictions, I thought today was overkill and shouldn't be tried again.

Took me back to lockdown when it was only Addington racing and they go round and round and round.

I can also see why Aussies don't punt on NZ harness with those standing starts as it is lottery. Somehow they are now made to stand! The Cup could be a debacle with quite a few fractious horses.

• Like 1