The Race Place

Sarah O

Royal Nod

• 2 years later...

I want to see what happens here. 

Sarah O has drives tomorrow at Methven, and the markets have been open since at least 8.45 this morning (earlier than usual) but she was suspended today at Motukarara so won't be driving tomorrow according to this?

FLYAWAY - contacted and punctured the sulky wheel of JUST FOLLOW ME on straightening for the run home. Junior Driver S O'Reilly, who declined the assistance of a senior driver, defended a breach of Rule 869(3)(b) in that she drove carelessly in this incident. After viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards and Ms O'Reilly the Adjudicative Committee found the charge proved and suspended Ms O'Reilly's driver's licence from the conclusion of racing today up to and including 9 December 2023 (2 days).

So all those punters who have backed Bettor Be Sharp, Buckskin or Franco Messi etc will be waking up to a new driver for tomorrow?

How is this fair to anyone?

Simply, it's not.    Why didn't she want a Senior Driver to assist her though, did she think it wasn't that serious?  Even if it wasn't, experienced drivers do tend to know the explanations that can gain you time or even get you out.   That just seems silly to me.

Also, Is it usually so immediate?   I've never seen this before.      Tbred can usually delay it depending on rides booked to enable re-engagements, and races of punter/owner  importance in the near future, but it seems that this is not a consideration.

9 hours ago, Dancing Show said:

Simply, it's not.    Why didn't she want a Senior Driver to assist her though, did she think it wasn't that serious?  Even if it wasn't, experienced drivers do tend to know the explanations that can gain you time or even get you out.   That just seems silly to me.

Also, Is it usually so immediate?   I've never seen this before.      Tbred can usually delay it depending on rides booked to enable re-engagements, and races of punter/owner  importance in the near future, but it seems that this is not a consideration.

They defer in harness which has led to some good debate too. Sarah must want to drive on Grand Prix day so she is copping the two days at Methven and Geraldine (but there is a meeting at Wingatui on Friday which could have counted for her since she goes south sometimes)

The TAB is in the midst of a new approach to how they offer harness odds. All odds are down at the moment for Methven and Sarah is still there driving.

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

Hi Happy

If you’d back fixed odds on account, you could always cash out if you weren’t happy.

For sure. 

However, they do tend to plummet the cash out value if the horse drifts in the odds pretty quickly. Tote betting, is not so good for the punter in this situation.

The TAB are not giving many options to punters early at the moment. They just have Win and Place fixed odds (no top 4 or exacta etc) betting until the day of the races now. I wonder if the TAB are playing hard ball at the moment after the debacle with Swayzee and Republican Party where I think the TAB were set up to get hammered with those 2 horses' scratchings. And this morning, having the market closed before the scratchings come through is unusual too.

The TAB might also be in the firing next Sunday on Grand Prix day with FO bets because of all the horses who won't be starting. Anyone with inside knowledge could be set to take them to the cleaners. 

Anyway, it seems as though Sarah O is driving today. There might have been a typo in the stipes report and she is suspended for Friday and Saturday next week and not today.

Typo or misunderstanding on part of RIB because it is changed now.

FLYAWAY - contacted and punctured the sulky wheel of JUST FOLLOW ME on straightening for the run home. Junior Driver S O'Reilly, who declined the assistance of a senior driver, defended a breach of Rule 869(3)(b) in that she drove carelessly in this incident. After viewing the replays and hearing evidence from Stewards and Ms O'Reilly the Adjudicative Committee found the charge proved and suspended Ms O'Reilly's driver's licence from the conclusion of racing on 3 December 2023 up to and including 9 December 2023 (2 days).